Windows 10: Best file system for external hd ?

Discus and support Best file system for external hd ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Having many problems with NTFS on external usb HD (1 TB) i'm thinking to use another file system i think the options are exFAT or REFS typical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by roy111, Oct 9, 2017.

1. roy111 Win User

Best file system for external hd ?

Having many problems with NTFS on external usb HD (1 TB) i'm thinking to
    use another file system i think the options are

exFAT or REFS

typical use scenario:

Use the usb HD on one pc (docs and work files) disconnect,
    use the same hd in a different PC (docs and work files) and so on ...

i read that REFS support is going to be dropped from win 10 pro so my only option semms to be
    exFAT, is it goot enough for an eternal HD, other suggestions?

Thanks.

:)

roy111, Oct 9, 2017
  2. FRN2016 Win User

Need driver to restore system image from external HD?

I just upgraded win7 ultimate 64 bits to win10 pro 64 bits. My HD is partitioned in drive C (system) and drive D (only data). In windows 7 I used the backup option to save the system image on an external HD. At least once a month, I restore the image, run
    all the updates and make a new system image. So I am sure that I get rid of any unwanted stuff that sneaked in without my knowledge. I have this habit since my Windows 2000 once crashed and I needed to install everything from scratch - that is when I got acronis to
    do the imaging.

After I upgraded to windows 10, same way, I made a system image on my external HD plus the new restore CD. To see if the restore image will work, I booted with the restore cd and external HD connected to the usb. To my surprise, the file WindowsImageBackup
    not shows on the list, like it happened in Windows 7 restore. It shows 3 options: from DVD, from network or from external HD. I chose the external HD (there is where my backup file is) and it asks me to install a driver. When I click on the button, it opens
    a window where lots of files are listed, including, I was able to search the external HD for the desired driver (so if it can access my external HD, why it not finds the image file???). All files that I chose, the restore software rejected, it was not what
    it wanted. I restarted windows and went to "Devices and Printers" to see what drivers are connected with the external HD, copied the drivers to the external HD, restarted with the restore CD, and no, no one of that drivers made the restore software happy.
    I not know what driver it is talking about. It`s frustrating!

I made another test: copied WindowsImageBackup from external HD to drive D on computer, booted with the restore CD, but it not finds the file there also, he wants me to have it on dvds, on network or, if external hd, it wants a driver installed that I not
    know what driver that is.

External HD is WD "my passport ultra metal edition 2 TB". Any idea what to do? I want to be able to restore my system images from the external HD, not from tons of DVDs that also may want, who knows, what mysterious drivers?

Has any one of you tried to restore the system image in windows 10?

FRN2016, Oct 9, 2017
  3. fjcamry Win User
    Can't make a recovery image on my external back up drive

What I attempted to do was to change the system back up to my internal storage drive Best file system for external hd ? :D instead of the external HD. It created a recovery image to the Best file system for external hd ? :D drive. I then deleted the windows image drive on my external drive from the windows 7 days. I transferred
    a copy of the windows image file from the Best file system for external hd ? :D drive to the windows image file folder in the external drive. This kept a current back up window image file in the external hd.

Next I went to the windows recovery and back up option in windows 10. I changed the back up drive location from the Best file system for external hd ? :D drive back to the external hd. Now running the windows back up works successfully and put a recovery image and back up files to the external
    hd.

fjcamry, Oct 9, 2017
  4. Rocky Win User

If you are using Windows then I would definitely stick with NTFS. I have 6 different external hard drives ranging in size from 1 terabyte to 6 terabytes and they are all formatted NTFS. This is the recommended file system for ease of use and compatibility.

What brand of hard drive do you use? I use strictly Seagate and Western Digital, mostly spinning but some SSD. Stick with NTFS for plug and play compatibility.

Rocky, Oct 9, 2017
  5. roy111 Win User
    Thanks Rocky unfortunately i'm having too many issues with NTFS (permissions problems, vanishing files, "the disk contains error" messages" and when i check for errors no errors are found ...)
    so i was thinking a File system without permission like i think exFAT is, is it not reliable to work on
    in your experience?

roy111, Oct 9, 2017
  6. Rocky Win User
    In my experience, exFAT is not even an option. FAT32 would be a viable option but I would stick with NTFS just for the universal compatibility alone. What brand and type of hard drive do you have?

Rocky, Oct 9, 2017
  7. Having problems with NTFS on Windows is like having a flat tire on your car.
    You don't junk the car and buy a new car. Instead, you fix the flat tire.

Here you need to find and fix the problem with the drive (the flat tire), and not with NTFS (the car).
    That's why Rocky asks "What brand and type of hard drive to you have?"

I would add: Under what circumstances are you experiencing these problems?
    - Permission problems
    - Vanishing files
    - Reported disk errors
    You might have a cable problem. Or a USB drive enclosure problem. (Or perhaps a drive problem.)

margrave55, Oct 9, 2017
  8. clam1952 Win User

I agree, either a drive issue or a problem with the USB interface in the drive enclosure or a plug and socket issue, I fixed many "Faulty" USB drives over the years for people and mostly there is nothing wrong with the drive, it's usually the USB side that's faulty, often the sockets just got worn out from constant plugging and unplugging, as in the solder joints have failed.

clam1952, Oct 9, 2017
  9. roy111 Win User
    Thanks all for your advices

I have the problems:

- Permission problems
    - Vanishing files
    - Reported disk errors

with two usb 2.5 drives (1 tb each) connected via USB cable(s) indeed

1 WD elements
    1 TOSHIBA

i use the disks as a convenient way to work on files without having to move
    the laptop with external monitor, in my experience those are not cable issues
    (i've had cable issue and the symptoms are different i.e. very slow transfer rate
    and frequent disconnection/connection) there is a problem with
    fast startup (i disabled it) : Fast Boot has the devil inside - Windows 10 Forums
    but issues still are present ...

the cable is firmly attached and transfer speed it 80 MB/sec

is there some test to verify cable issue?

roy111, Oct 9, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    ExFat is more universal (on modern OSs) than NTFS. It is only practical format (other than limited FAT32) which can be read on both Macs and PCs. Main problem with exFat is it is less space efficient.

cereberus, Oct 9, 2017
  11. roy111 Win User
    So should i buy a new drive maybe?

roy111, Oct 14, 2017
  12. Rocky Win User
  13. Bree New Member

I have one WD and several Toshibas. All are ntfs - never had any of your problems. It's more likely to be your system that's at fault.

At that speed you are probably using a USB3 port on the laptop. Try a USB2 port if you have one. A search of this forum shows USB3 can have problems...
    https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.p...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

14. clam1952 Win User
    External Power supply or off the laptop USB?

clam1952, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Best file system for external hd ? - Similar Threads - Best file system

2. Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD: Hi,I was searching for a solution for this error and found out that it usually happens in a FAT32 format. In my unusual case, I'm getting this error although the external HD is already formatted tor NTFS. What can I do?...
  3. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HD with locked files/permissions: Hey guys, how are you? I recently formatted my computer and I'm having a problem with an External HD that has a lot of my personal files photos, videos, etc. After formatting the computer I kept it on Windows 10 and properly installing all the drivers, for some reason all the...
  4. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HD with locked files/permissions: Hey guys, how are you? I recently formatted my computer and I'm having a problem with an External HD that has a lot of my personal files photos, videos, etc. After formatting the computer I kept it on Windows 10 and properly installing all the drivers, for some reason all the...
  5. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Transferring files to external HD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring files to external HD: I just bought a WD easystore 2tb external hard drive, I also have an old HP slim line s5-1414 PC that is running windows 10. when I transfer a file from the PC to the external hard drive the file still appears on the PC. I’m trying to save space on the computer. I’m...
  7. External HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HD: External HD is recognized but does not appear in My Computer on Windows 10 PRO system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hd/d98debb3-1b03-42de-9643-d5d53ad30a5e
  8. Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup: Current Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.329) I have a secondary 3TB External USB HD. Once formatted leaves me with 2.72 TB of storage. What I would like to do is have two partitions on this physical drive. Logical Drive K which would have about 600gb and that would leave...
  9. External HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HD: 1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD? 16269
  10. Problem accessing files on external HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem accessing files on external HD: Hi, I recently bought a new PC with Windows 10 and I am having some issues with an external USB hard drive that I was wondering if I could get some feedback on. Here's the problem: when trying to access certain files on the drive (no rhyme or reason apparent - it just...