Windows 10: Best Location for Pictures Folder

Discus and support Best Location for Pictures Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For the life of me this issue stumps me. Most of my photo folders are at OneDrive/Photographs while a much lesser number are at C: Pictures. Where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lpatrick, Aug 7, 2017.

1. lpatrick Win User

Best Location for Pictures Folder

For the life of me this issue stumps me. Most of my photo folders are at OneDrive/Photographs while a much lesser number are at C: Pictures.

Where is the best area to place our photographs?

:)

lpatrick, Aug 7, 2017

2. Complete Guide to Importing Your Photos in Windows 10

When I Import from my scanner the scanned photo is placed in the following location:

Imported Picture and Videos

I see all the imported "anything" inside this folder, but when I open File Explorer I am not able to find the Imported Pictures and Videos location. The path to the imported image states:

2016-11-24 C:\Users\EB\Pictures (the date is to the left of the path location

NOTE: Where the typical path is located is where I see a small graphic box with a magnifying glass and to the right is where I see "Imported Pictures and Videos," but below and to the right of the folder tree is the date and path. Below the date and path
    is the image. As though there are two locations; one in the typical path line and then the other path is below. I am doing my best to describe what I am seeing.

However, when I open an instance of File Explorer I can't seem to find the location. If I navigate C: and down the tree to Users first and then to EB I do see a Pictures folder, but this folder is the location of all my pictures stored on the computer.
    The imported image does not reside in this location.

The "Imported Pictures and Videos" has the appearance such that the folder is Hidden.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,

Eric

Eric_Bernstein, Aug 7, 2017
  3. Mehdi Y Win User
    Transfer photos to XP or Vista

Hello Errolmarshall,

Thank you for posting,

When you sync your phone with zune software it will automatically copie all you content to your computer so to find
    the folder where your picture are stored you have to open zune software then go to collection then picture click with right button of your mouse on one of the picture it will display you the folder where the pictures stored anyway by default the picture location
    is on ('libraries\pictures')

Best regards.

Mehdi Y, Aug 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi
    1. Make sure your user data is not on C: at all - why- makes it almost independent of OS maintenance (think clean install).
    2. Do you wish to share data between devices? -> use a cloud service
    3. Do you wish your data to be backed up for you? -> use a cloud service
    4. Do you wish your data to be shared with others? -> use a cloud service
    5. Do you wish your data to be private and backed up by your own backup procedure? (Think- how secure is my backup from fire/theft/flood...) - keep your data on your PC
    6. Do you have restricted or unreliable internet? -> don't use a cloud service

Considering where to put your photos on your PC:
    Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Note: a few people get themselves into difficulty making mistakes when using this.

You could also create your own folder and add it to your user library.

dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  5. kado897 Win User
    I agree with all of that. keep as much as possible of your data off the C drive.
    Image you C drive with Macrium Reflect Free.
    Back up your data either to the cloud (not my preferred route} or with a file & folder backup solution to an external drive. You could use Microsoft's SyncToy for this.

kado897, Aug 7, 2017
  6. prikker Win User
    Does this apply for the Documents file too?

prikker, Aug 7, 2017
  7. kado897 Win User
    Yes, for all data. I find the easiest way to integrate this into you system is to add the folders into the appropriate library and make that folder the default.

kado897, Aug 7, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

I find the default library folders are full of folders created by programs I've installed.
    So I deem them 'Their folders' not mine - and use my own folders for Music/Photos/Documents etc.

You can relocate your desktop too. (Not that keeping anything large or vital on it is a great idea anyway).

Consider too any data related to programs that is held in files. Where is that? What would you lose if your system disk failed or your OS was reinstalled?

Consider your email client, if you use one. Where's all the data related to that?
    Browser favourites, perhaps passwords...
    Etc...

dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  9. kado897 Win User
    A lot of rubbish is put into the default documents folder which is why I have removed it from my documents library. Where possible I have moved programs data folders to my new Documents folder. Where the program doesn't allow moving it's data folder I create symbolic links into my new documents folder so that I can leave the rubbish behind but that is for advanced users.

kado897, Aug 7, 2017
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    I'm not exactly sure this is what the OP was looking for as it really doesn't answer the question.

This is really up to you, but the way I'd look at it is storage space and access - If you need to access the images from anywhere and/or are short on storage space, OneDrive. If you feel life is easier with the images on a local drive, Pictures.

It really depends on you and what your needs are. For me I mainly use OneDrive for my jpeg files since I can access them anywhere. However, I also keep my master files on my local hard drive.

And yes, we all have backup plans, but that's not the question.

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Well, the question isn't actually stated in a way that can be properly answered.

To answer the question means understanding what is desired to be done with the pictures.
    Given that, and the need for security, a better answer can be given.

Hence my various options in my first post given the uncertainty.
    What is best for one person may not be best for another. Except that the best place is not on C:

dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    That would be an opinion, not a fact. Fact is, if Microsoft didn't want photos on C-Drive, they wouldn't have put the Pictures folder there. Now we can debate till the cows come home as to what the "best place" is, but C-Drive is Microsoft's option or else they wouldn't have placed the Pictures folder there.

And for the record I keep my photos on s separate drive as well, but those are my master .tiff files for my photography. However, I keep copies of their jpeg equivalent in the Pictures folder on... C-Drive. That, however doesn't negate my argument that Microsoft thought C-Drive a good option.

Anyway I answered the OP's question as posed.

Peace *Cool

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2017
  13. lpatrick Win User

I like your suggestion for using a completely separate drive. I already have a separate file history hard drive. If I understand you correctly I would add a second separate hard drive for photograph storage and possibly documents.

lpatrick, Aug 9, 2017
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    If that's what you want to do, that'll work too. You can also use a partition on the same drive and have the folders there. The one advantage about having certain files and folders on a separate drive or partition is that maintenance to the main (C) drive won't affect the other drives. That is when you erase, or do a clean install on the OS drive, the files and folders on the other drives or partitions aren't deleted.

On the other hand if your main drive is faster than your other drives, you could simply leave your pictures since they would open faster. This is one reason to leave them on the default drive/folder.

There are lots of reasons why you might do one over the other it just comes down to what's easier and more convenient to you and how you use your system.

sygnus21, Aug 9, 2017
  15. lpatrick Win User
    Thanks you and thanks to everyone.

lpatrick, Aug 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Best Location for Pictures Folder - Similar Threads - Best Location Pictures

2. Confusion Over Pictures Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confusion Over Pictures Folder Locations: I had to do a clean install of Windows 11 due to some issues. Luckily, I had things like my Pictures & Documents folders moved to a seperate physical D drive. In file Explorer I am confused about the location of my Pictures, etc., but will use the Pictures folder as the...
  3. Confusion Over Pictures Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confusion Over Pictures Folder Locations: I had to do a clean install of Windows 11 due to some issues. Luckily, I had things like my Pictures & Documents folders moved to a seperate physical D drive. In file Explorer I am confused about the location of my Pictures, etc., but will use the Pictures folder as the...
  4. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  5. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  6. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  7. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  8. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

9. Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder: Hi Guys, I accidentally deleted my Pictures folder. Being the smart cookie that I am, I had it backed up. I copy and pasted my Pictures Folder to C:\Users\\Pictures. Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\\Pictures....
  10. Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Pictures folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this...