Windows 10: Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update?

Discus and support Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've finally decided to install the Anniversary Update on my desktop PC after being wary of the missing drives / RAW format problems reported on this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update?

I've finally decided to install the Anniversary Update on my desktop PC after being wary of the missing drives / RAW format problems reported on this forum - although I've seen no recent reports of problems.

What's the best update method - just let Windows automatically update or install from an ISO file? If the latter method , is it basically just like doing a repair install where you re-install Windows again? How up to date is the current ISO and will there be many updates after installing using this method?

I've already done a full Macrium Reflect backup so prepare for problems!

:)

Steve C, Dec 7, 2016
  2. Jericho Lap, Dec 7, 2016
  3. aldva Win User
    What's the best method for upgrading someone elses device from a Home to Pro license?

We provide support to small businesses with an average of 10 or so users per account. We recommend Windows X Pro for the added features and security, specifically BitLocker. When possible, we like to purchase, or have the client purchase, a new device
    with Pro preinstalled; however, in those cases where we have to upgrade the device to pro, we have found the process to be inefficient.

Ideally, we have the business owner log into their MS account and purchase the upgrade. More often than not, the business owner doesn’t have a MS account, or cant remember the password, then there are often updates and additional configuration
    that has to be done after the upgrade.

We’ve used our personal MS accounts to purchase and activate the upgrade, but I’m sure there will be problems down the road with this.

Maybe Volume license is the best solution but it seems to be too complicated and cumbersome to be effective in these small cases.

Any advice or direction on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks

aldva, Dec 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I like to download the ISO file, mount it, then run setup.exe from the mounted ISO file. This way I can make a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive from the saved ISO file later, and I get a much faster upgrade because it is still coming from my SSD. The ISO file from Microsoft is 14393.0. After installation it will pull the cumulative update to 14393.447 and a couple other small updates.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    I use Media Creation Tool to fetch the ISO and then send to USB stick. Then just do a regular clean install.

swarfega, Dec 7, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    ...that's 14393.447 on the PC build - 14393.448 on the Mobile build.

Oh, and its the USB made by the Media Creation Tool that I like to use.

Bree, Dec 7, 2016
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I'd much prefer to download the ISO file containing a install.wim as this is useful in case you need to point dism to a source when the store is corrupted.

Furthermore, AU being a major upgrade edition I prefer performing a clean install in this case.
    After that's done, there are maybe four or five updates that WU will pull in to this date.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 8, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Thanks for your help. I just downloaded the file Win10_1607_EnglishInternational_x64.iso for my UK English (GB) installation. This file has the following details:

Details for image : g:\sources\install.wim

Index : 1
    Name : Windows 10 Pro
    Description : Windows 10 Pro
    Size : 14,440,586,483 bytes
    WIM Bootable : No
    Architecture : x64
    Hal : <undefined>
    Version : 10.0.14393
    ServicePack Build : 0
    ServicePack Level : 0
    Edition : Professional
    Installation : Client
    ProductType : WinNT
    ProductSuite : Terminal Server
    System Root : WINDOWS
    Directories : 19112
    Files : 103893
    Created : 16/07/2016 - 23:09:37
    Modified : 16/07/2016 - 23:10:13
    Languages :
    en-GB (Default)

I assume to upgrade to the AU I just mount the ISO file, run setup.exe then choose to keep all settings - is that correct?

I note the advantages of a clean install but it's a lot of work to plough through reinstalling everything. I'll just try the upgrade first.

Steve C, Dec 8, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I think it will also offer a choice in what to keep but basically, yes, your good to go.

Direct download site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 8, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    Thanks to all for your help. The AU upgrade was fine and there is no problem with the drives (there has been a possible problem with missing drives / RAW format).

However, I do have a problem with OneDrive which I can't configure in my main user account. - see OneDrive Problem After Anniversary Upgrade

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update? - Similar Threads - Best Method Installing

2. Best method to Uninstall Trail Download of Office.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best method to Uninstall Trail Download of Office.: I have a trail download of Office, but it's not been installed. What's the best way to remove the program?Office was installed on purchase, but it's not been installed on the system by me. 11th Gen IntelR Core TM i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHzName NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 16.0...
  3. Best method to Uninstall Trail Download of Office.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best method to Uninstall Trail Download of Office.: I have a trail download of Office, but it's not been installed. What's the best way to remove the program?Office was installed on purchase, but it's not been installed on the system by me. 11th Gen IntelR Core TM i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHzName NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 16.0...
  4. Best software / method of removing duplicate files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best software / method of removing duplicate files: So I want to clean out my family’s Photo folder on our hard drive, mainly by removing duplicate photos from multiple imports over the years. However, there are over 1000 files in the folder, and there’s no way I’m sifting through all of those, so I went online to find a “file...
  5. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  6. Best/Quickest method of transferring files.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best/Quickest method of transferring files.: Good afternoon, My Brother-In-Law has several external HDD's which he wants to organise. He wants to copy folders, and sub-folders from one location [F: for example] to another location [G: for example]. Would it be quicker to do this using the CMD prompt in Safe Mode...
  7. What is the best method of Moving Software

What is the best method of Moving Software: I have a New computer with windows installed on a 500 GB M.2 SSD drive. I want to first Partition a new 1 TB M.2. SSD drive and migrate everything to the larger SSD drive. My older Windows 10 Computer has a 1 TB SSD drive C, one 1 TB drive D and 3 2 TB drives E-F and L. Some...
  8. Best method to wipe an ssd drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best method to wipe an ssd drive?: Any tips? I've used secure erase in parted magic (the option for enhanced secure erase was blanked out) but then read somewhere that there is no secure way to wipe an ssd? Planning to reinstall and then sell the machine on. It's only a small 80gb drive and not new to me or...
  9. Best Wiping & Installing Win10 Method for HP Laptop

Best Wiping & Installing Win10 Method for HP Laptop: Hello Everyone and good day to you!!!! I see some articles out there here, but not sure if it answers what I am looking for. I just bought an HP laptop that I want to wipe completely clean with no software etc. installed and then reinstall from an ISO DVD I created with the...
  10. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...