Windows 10: Best method of backing up over network? Windows 10 questions

Discus and support Best method of backing up over network? Windows 10 questions in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a laptop and a desktop PC, and the desktop rarely gets much use if I am honest but I thought I had better start doing proper backups... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by alexncfc, Oct 3, 2017.

1. alexncfc Win User

Best method of backing up over network? Windows 10 questions

Hi all,

I have a laptop and a desktop PC, and the desktop rarely gets much use if I am honest but I thought I had better start doing proper backups (I do do backing up, but only a sort of manual copying as and when type thing to a 500GB external drive I have) so I got myself a 2TB SATA drive to put into the desktop machine so that I can back up my laptop files to this over the (wireless) network.

However I had a few questions:

Is the tool called "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" good enough for what I want to do, which is backing up my laptop files on a scheduled basis?

What happens if my desktop PC is not switched on when the scheduled backup date on my laptop comes along?

I can use the "System image tool" which creates an image of the entire used space of the drive, but the standard backup option also offers a tickbox option to create a drive image - does this mean it will be basically backing up my selected files (like Music, Videos, etc) as well as the disk image on top of that (and therefore a very long process) ??

And lastly, with the above, I've been messing around and doing some test runs and noticed that it is VERY slow doing a disk image backup over WIFI - I'm guessing that I would get better speed doing a direct PC-to-laptop connection via network cable, but would it be easy to perform the backup over this? Will the PC and laptop automatically configure themselves to know that they can "see" each other and see my shared folders (these being the folders I share on the desktop that I do the backing up of files into from the laptop)?

Forgot to add: does the Windows 10 (7!) backup tool do any sort of compression when it is backing up, or is it a direct copy process?

I hope this makes some sort of sense! I want to get to a stage where this sort of thing is just happening in the background on a monthly basis and I don't need to worry about tinkering with it.

Thanks for any assistance.

:)

alexncfc, Oct 3, 2017

2. Start Button not doing anything Windows 10 plus calculator not working

The problem is that we cannot use the start button on Windows 10.

In such a case, how are we supposed to utilize method 1 and method 2 when you refer to the usage of the same button in order to run these commands: sfc scan and DISM?

I used method 3 to no avail.

Please let me know.

Kind regards.

Windows 10 Questions, Oct 3, 2017
  3. Arul_D Win User
    backing up over the network

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I would suggest you to post your question in the
    Technet Forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on such issues. Kindly refer to the following link to reach out to them and post your query there:

Technet forumsforum=WinPreview2015Phone&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Have a great day.

Arul_D, Oct 3, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Windows image gives lots of problems your far better using a free disk image tool most of which have options to compress data. Over the network depends on your network if it's gigabyte using cable would be faster if it's only 100 meg and you have fast wireless it could be quicker if your wireless is n type max speed is 300 meg if it is AC it's 3 gig. Don't forget to create a bootable rescue disk from the imaging software so you can restore. For docs photos use ms OneDrive or Google drive it will backup to the cloud on its own

Samuria, Oct 3, 2017
  5. Josey Wales, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Best method of backing up over network? Windows 10 questions - Similar Threads - Best method backing

2. Login Method question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login Method question: How to log in into my OS that log in wiuh the pin created with a Micrsoft Account i logged in with password when i iwas installing; without pin or password; my os is a Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 latest updated until today 14:35 Bogta -5 UTC zone hour time...
  3. Login Method question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login Method question: How to log in into my OS that log in wiuh the pin created with a Micrsoft Account i logged in with password when i iwas installing; without pin or password; my os is a Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 latest updated until today 14:35 Bogta -5 UTC zone hour time...
  4. Back up question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up question: I use Windows file history to back up to a secure personal external drive. I have gone to the advanced settings where one can list add files that one wants to back up. One of those files that I have listed is my Desktop, amongst others. My question is, when I back up My...
  5. What's the best way of backing up Windows 10 license key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best way of backing up Windows 10 license key?: I have Windows 10 Home on my laptop and I would like to create a backup of my license key. Does the .iso file (created with the Media Creation Tool) contain my license key? If not, how can I find my license key (and save it on a USB)? Also, is it possible to backup...
  6. Best way to back up my data

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best way to back up my data: Hi Experts, What is the best way to back up my data, which does not recopy entire data but copies the delta changes and also ensure my data is backed up. Hope, I don't have to buy software. Thanks in advance 171065
  7. Best way to back up my data

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to back up my data: Hi Experts, What is the best way to back up my data, which does not recopy entire data but copies the delta changes and also ensure my data is backed up. Hope, I don't have to buy software. Thanks in advance 171065
  8. Backing Up Questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing Up Questions: On my HP, my computer is set to automatically back up (mainly photos) to my external hard drive. But I used to back everything up to OneDrive. Now, that I have added the external drive, OneDrive doesn't back up my recent photos anymore. How do I get my computer to back up to...
  9. Best method to get Windows up and running again

in Windows 10 Support
    Best method to get Windows up and running again: This is a hypothetical question but say I had a problem with Windows store not working or edge not launching on my PC etc etc what is the best method to try and fix without draconian measures? unfortunately sometimes Windows 10 feels like it's a ticking time bomb and given...
  10. Good method to back up Win 10 system?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Good method to back up Win 10 system?: That says it all because I'm a back up freak. TYIA 12920