Windows 10: Best method to get Windows up and running again

Discus and support Best method to get Windows up and running again in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a hypothetical question but say I had a problem with Windows store not working or edge not launching on my PC etc etc what is the best method... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Best method to get Windows up and running again

This is a hypothetical question but say I had a problem with Windows store not working or edge not launching on my PC etc etc what is the best method to try and fix without draconian measures?

unfortunately sometimes Windows 10 feels like it's a ticking time bomb and given some of the horror stories I've seen regarding power shell and it's unpredictable results i am curious. The mentions of reset, repair, in place upgrade are a bit confusing.

if something went wrong I would want to try and restore functionality with as little requirement to go back and re install stuff as possible. I'd look to a measure that leaves user accounts intact and things like iTunes, steam, all my games, game clients, office 2016 all still installed and not removed. To lose all of that just to try and get the store or edge back and running seems too severe. It would take many, many hours perhaps days to get back to where I was. Especially would be nervous about iTunes which with its connection to iCloud music library would be disastrous to unsettle. I have my boot SSD drive and a larger secondary mechanical hard drive. All my software is installed across both locations although the steam library resides on the secondary given the colossal game install sizes we have nowadays.

of course I take an image now and then for full backup but I'm still curious of the fastest and main painless way to try a repair which leaves installed stuff alone.

cheers, Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Jan 24, 2016

2. what's the best method to upgrade 60 win-7 to win-10 company devices?

hello.

I have a lot of company computers that are part of our domain, all are purchased and licensed (individually by purchase) computers and want to upgrade them from windows 7 pro - to windows 10 over the next couple of weeks. ideally, i'd like to be able to
    download the appropriate windows 10 image, and share it out on my network somewhere and point the machines to them or possible use multiple USB drives, or DVD's with the data files on them. although all the machines are licensed directly via purchase, and
    they are 'asking' for windows 10 upgrades - I don't necessarily have all the ms workstation license keys (some aren't on the computers) - and don't want to have to worry about fumbling around looking for the keys - after/during the upgrade process.

anybody else have this predicament going on?

thanks,

Mark D Foster, Jan 24, 2016
  3. HairyFool Win User
    what's the best method to upgrade 60 win-7 to win-10 company devices?

You can download a single Windows 10 image and use that to upgrade all the PCs. You do not need to download for each computer.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 use the option to upgrade another computer.

Provided the computers are fully activated you do not need a key. At the point where it askes for one use the I do not have a key option to continue the install and it will activate automatically after setup completes as long as they are connected to the
    internet.

Normally this would be a IT Pro issue but upgrading one is the same process and doing a hundred if you are not using the deployment tools which would be the "preferred" option

Deploy and update Windows 10

HairyFool, Jan 24, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Best method to get Windows up and running again

It depends a lot on what goes wrong that you are trying to fix. If it is stuff in Windows not working right, I recommend this:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

So for that you need a current Windows 10 installation USB/DVD.

I highly recommend Macrium Reflect Free for imaging and backups for two reasons. First it does an excellent job of making partition/disk images so you can restore just the Windows partition if you want or onto a clean hard drive/SSD if you have a complete failure. You need to make sure and make the rescue USB/DVD.

The second reason I recommend Macrium Reflect Free is because there is a utility on the rescue USB/DVD for fixing Windows startup problems that consistently works when all others fail. If you end up with an undamaged Windows partition but the boot files end up messed up, the Macrium Reflect Free rescue USB/DVD will more than likely fix it.

So -

1. Windows 10 installation USB/DVD
    2. Macrium Reflect Free installed and rescue USB/DVD created
    3. Full image backup created with Macrium Reflect Free - I recommend weekly.

NavyLCDR, Jan 24, 2016
  5. Thank you, very useful info

Scottyboy99, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Best method to get Windows up and running again

1. Best method to get Windows up and running again - Similar Threads - Best method running

2. Best/Quickest method of transferring files.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best/Quickest method of transferring files.: Good afternoon, My Brother-In-Law has several external HDD's which he wants to organise. He wants to copy folders, and sub-folders from one location [F: for example] to another location [G: for example]. Would it be quicker to do this using the CMD prompt in Safe Mode...
  3. Which is the best method to create a windows image backup?????

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which is the best method to create a windows image backup?????: I have windows 10 PC. I wish to create a windows image backup for my PC. Which is the best method of creating a windows image backup???????...
  4. What is the best method of Moving Software

What is the best method of Moving Software: I have a New computer with windows installed on a 500 GB M.2 SSD drive. I want to first Partition a new 1 TB M.2. SSD drive and migrate everything to the larger SSD drive. My older Windows 10 Computer has a 1 TB SSD drive C, one 1 TB drive D and 3 2 TB drives E-F and L. Some...
  5. run set up wizard again

in Windows 10 Customization
    run set up wizard again: My PC is running on epic games launcher and not on set up wizard How to run set up wizard again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-set-up-wizard-again/45090299-0747-4a27-b1e8-be2dc7493db4
  6. Best method to wipe an ssd drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best method to wipe an ssd drive?: Any tips? I've used secure erase in parted magic (the option for enhanced secure erase was blanked out) but then read somewhere that there is no secure way to wipe an ssd? Planning to reinstall and then sell the machine on. It's only a small 80gb drive and not new to me or...
  7. How to get mouse running again ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get mouse running again ????: My machine aotumatic updated to 1803 17134.228 and it seems like it will NOT accept my USB ports ! I have my mouse in an USB !!!!!!!!!! Can you imaging install/troubleshoot with no mouse working ... mission imposible ! How can I get my mouse running again OR...
  8. How to get mouse running again ????

How to get mouse running again ????: My machine aotumatic updated to 1803 17134.228 and it seems like it will NOT accept my USB ports ! I have my mouse in an USB !!!!!!!!!! Can you imaging install/troubleshoot with no mouse working ... mission imposible ! How can I get my mouse running again OR...
  9. Best method of backing up over network? Windows 10 questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best method of backing up over network? Windows 10 questions: Hi all, I have a laptop and a desktop PC, and the desktop rarely gets much use if I am honest but I thought I had better start doing proper backups (I do do backing up, but only a sort of manual copying as and when type thing to a 500GB external drive I have) so I got...
  10. Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update?

Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update?: I've finally decided to install the Anniversary Update on my desktop PC after being wary of the missing drives / RAW format problems reported on this forum - although I've seen no recent reports of problems. What's the best update method - just let Windows automatically...