Windows 10: Best order to move 2 HDDs to new PC: pre or post upgrade to W10?

Discus and support Best order to move 2 HDDs to new PC: pre or post upgrade to W10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I just build a new PC based on an ASRock X99 Extreme 4 mobo & i7-6800K. I currently have it up and running with 2 SSDs: 1- 1TB Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GabryRox, Jun 13, 2017.

1. GabryRox Win User

Best order to move 2 HDDs to new PC: pre or post upgrade to W10?

Hello everyone, I just build a new PC based on an ASRock X99 Extreme 4 mobo & i7-6800K. I currently have it up and running with 2 SSDs: 1- 1TB Samsung EVO 830 and 2- 500GB Samsung EVO 830. The 1TB SSD is a clone of my old PC, a Windows 7 Ultimate machine. I've had it running fine for several hours now and all seems to be working well. Frankly, I am surprised at how well the clone process worked, given that i had 450GB on my old HDD but it seems totally fine at this point.

I do want to upgrade this new PC to W10, but I still have two 2TB HDD data drives to move over from the old W7 machine. My question is, what is the best order to move those drives? Should I move them now and TEHN upgrade the entire new PC to W10? Or, should I upgrade it first, with only the 2 Samsung SSDs, and then move over the 2 HDDs after the upgrade?

I have upgraded several other PC from 7 to 10 (crypto-currency mining rigs) so I am familiar with the process, but those were bare bones with almost no extra data on the SSDs. What I am unsure of is how the immense amount of extra data is going to affect the upgrade process. I've already got 450GB on the boot SSD, and the 2 HDDs are about 75% full... so about 3TB between them. Not sure if this will hinder the conversion process or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

GabryRox, Jun 13, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

Activate Windows after booting on another computer

Windows installed on your hdd was activated using the original device. You moved it to another device and it now need a new licence key.

How was the hdd activated on the original device, if it was a digital licence after the free upgrade or pre-installed by the manufacturer then it can't be moved to a new device. It is only activated on the origianl device.

neilpzz, Jun 13, 2017
  3. mail app

Mail app has completely disappeared form task bar and start key

new to computersRS, Jun 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It won't matter either way.

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Best order to move 2 HDDs to new PC: pre or post upgrade to W10? - Similar Threads - Best order move

2. Movie Pre-Orders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movie Pre-Orders: I want to pre-order Scream 6 but am not sure yet because I'm not aware of the pre-order policies. If I pre order it, will my account be charged on the day it releases or immediately when I place the pre order?...
  3. Movie Pre-Orders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movie Pre-Orders: I want to pre-order Scream 6 but am not sure yet because I'm not aware of the pre-order policies. If I pre order it, will my account be charged on the day it releases or immediately when I place the pre order?...
  4. Move W10 to new build.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Move W10 to new build.: I just completed my first pc build, thanks with the W10 transfer. I did Great! I want to build another for my wife. she has a laptop that originally was W8 which I free upgraded to 10. Can I install W10 on the new build and use her activation key to activate her Windows...
  5. Upgrading and moving W10 to an SSD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading and moving W10 to an SSD.: Hi, so I have a question regarding W10, SSD, HDD, and transferring W10 from the HDD to the SSD, making the SSD the boot drive and erasing all the data from the HDD to use as a mass storage device. The reason I am asking is because one of my friends is going upgrade his build...
  6. Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?: My 11 year old rig died, brief specs Intel S775 Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 8GB Geil 800MHz ASUS 8800GT video card SSD (OS) & HDD (data) I am unable to boot. There is a flicker on the activity LED and the fans start, stop and sometimes start again.. PSU seems OK as case fans, DVD...
  7. Pre-order GPD Pocket 2 with 8GB RAM for $624.99

in Windows 10 News
    Pre-order GPD Pocket 2 with 8GB RAM for $624.99: GDP is almost ready to release a second-generation GPD Pocket with Microsoft’s Windows 10. The company recently opened up the crowd-funding on Indiegogo and now the China-based e-commerce company Tomtop is taking pre-orders of the GPD Pocket 2. If you’re interested in GPD...
  8. Moving W10 to a new computer

Moving W10 to a new computer: Hi all, I'm about to purchase a new PC desktop computer for photo editing, general MS Office and web surfing. I already have an SSD boot drive with W10 Pro x64 installed and activated and a bootable USB stick. The hardware of the new PC will be completely different to the...
  9. Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10)

Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10): I'm about to upgrade my PC soon and I decided that the OS should be upgraded too. I'm currently on W7 Pro x64 and I plan to get the W10 Pro x64. My concern is that I don't have a product key for W10 yet, but I heard that you can still install W10 even with a W7/8 product...
  10. Pre-Order Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Pre-Order Windows 10: Good morning all: I just found a fantastic deal on Windows 10 DVD ($89.99 Home and $129.99 Pro) that might be of interest to those who are planning to buy a retail copy of Windows 10. If you find a deal, post it here . . . we all need a good deal! Newegg.com - Windows...