Windows 10: Best OS for really old PC

Discus and support Best OS for really old PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If you never plan on adding more RAM, I'd go with 32 bit. Either way, Windows 10 will run perfectly fine on that system. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by djdelarosa25, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Best OS for really old PC

If you never plan on adding more RAM, I'd go with 32 bit. Either way, Windows 10 will run perfectly fine on that system.

DeaconFrost, Jan 7, 2016
  2. Berton Win User

I have an older tower upgraded to 64-bit Win10 Home "just because" and a Notebook also upgraded to 64-bit Win10 Home "just because" and they work fine on 2GB RAM [Max for both]. The "just because" is that they are too good to throw out and the programs on them work. There are slower than my newer ones but considering their age quite understandable.

Berton, Jan 7, 2016
  3. XweAponX Win User
    You'd do well with either Windows 7 32 or 64, 64 would use more of the Ram but 32 would allow you to use very old hardware drivers (it has 16 bit support).

You'd probably do well with regular Windows 8 (Not 8.1) - I was able to install Windows 8 into some very old boxes and it runs very well. The 32 bit version will leave you with 3.2gb of usable Ram. Windows 10 32 bit will use up 1GB of Ram, leaving you only 3GB. Also Windows 8 can run just about anything that ran in Windows 7.

I always install 32 bit for Business situations, where 64 bit can accommodate personal needs like Gaming.

XweAponX, Jan 7, 2016
  4. Best OS for really old PC

Windows 10 32bit surprisingly runs very very well on lower spec'd machines. I'd give it a try. My Acer Switch 20 runs it wonderfully.

copiertech25, Jan 8, 2016
  5. BReeves Win User
    Just wasting disk space and clock cycles to memory management..

BReeves, Jan 8, 2016
  6. Atomic77 Win User
    64 bit is all you will find these days for a new pc. But since its a older pc 32 might be the better way to go.

Atomic77, Jan 8, 2016
  7. Berk, the 9400GT is a dedicated card so he won't be allocating memory to it, it has dedicated onboard stuff.

joedaman633, Jan 8, 2016
  8. Berk Win User

Best OS for really old PC

There is more to 64 bit processing than addressing more memory. It's my understanding that when a native 64 bit application can make full use of the architecture it can be literally twice as fast as the 32 bit equivalent for any given clock speed. Also, even with 4GB or less RAM, a 64 bit system can make more efficient use of what's available vs a 32 bit system.

In the real world though we have to contend with 32 bit only apps and it's more complicated. Some (very) old head to head performance comparisons show 32 bit Windows as having slightly better frame rates in some games and performance testing suites. However the games that were newer at the time of testing tended to fare better on 64 bit Windows.

Since we're now 10+ years on from the uncertainty and doubt when these tests were relevant, I really don't think there is a compelling performance reason to choose 32 bit now, unless there is some old game or 32 bit app that works better natively on 32 bit and it is the main thing to used on the system.

OK, so I crammed too many thoughts into a short post and didn't elaborate enough (sorry, I should've been clearer at the first attempt)

The E7200/i9300 system I referenced with the tearing issue:

• 2GB -> 4GB improved overall performance and responsiveness, a small but certainly noticeable effect.
    • 2GB -> 4GB without changing the iGPU allocation yielded a small but noticeable improvement in tearing.
    • 2GB -> 4GB and maximising the iGPU RAM allocation yielded the best mitigation of tearing, but did not eliminate it entirely.
    Additionally, I have also used 512MB (Nvidia) 1GB (AMD) and 2GB (Nvidia) discrete VRAM graphics cards on the same Linux OSs (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora) across several systems. The discrete cards also have also been blighted by hideous screen tearing, with AMD usually faring the worst. I conclude VRAM is not the only defining factor, system RAM and overall system performance also influence the issue.

9. I'm not sure why the x86 version of Windows 8.1 wouldn't work, instead of Windows 8 (since support runs out next week on the former). Windows 7 might be fine too, though if he/she likes Windows 10, no reason not to opt for the x86 version.

In any case, if I were the OP I would stay 32-bit if all you're using the system for is traditional productivity apps. In which case, you may as well just stay at 3 GB of RAM too, since most of the additional 1 GB will be swallowed up as address space for your hardware, particularly your video card.

Jody Thornton, Jan 8, 2016
  10. Dadicator Win User
    everyone has post about this - I will add my two cents -- x64 -- Max out the MB with the 4GB Ram -- the machine is old but not that old -- Windows 10 will run on 4GB --- *** the only problems I see with windows 10 is that it is a 64 bit system and may have compatibility issues with certain hardware -- ie. DataFax drivers if you use the Modem. Windows 10 is 100% 64 bit any embedded or attached card must be 64 bit -- sometimes it's hard to find 64bit drivers *** it just means certain things won't work -- if you don't use them It doesn't matter.

Dadicator, Jan 8, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    FWIW,, I would check out a Linux distribution on a live DVD and see how it works. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of an OS for an old PC.

YMMV..

BunnyJ, Jan 8, 2016
  12. rfruth Win User
    rfruth, Jan 8, 2016
  13. Best OS for really old PC

I have an old Dell D-610 that came preloaded with XP back in 2005. I put Precise Puppy Linux (based on uBuntu binaries), and it work great in a single gigabyte of RAM on a Centrino CPU at 1.8 GHz

Jody Thornton, Jan 8, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    DSL is kind of very skimpy. I have setup a precanned Mint that looks a bit more like an OS. You can download it from here:

OneDrive

15. BunnyJ New Member
    From my experience Linux is perfect for old hardware.. assuming the drivers work out. But I've found that in many cases they do and I like Mint. It's very similar to 7 and with the pre-installed software you can go wrong really.

BunnyJ, Jan 8, 2016
Thema:

Best OS for really old PC

1. Best OS for really old PC - Similar Threads - Best really old

2. OEM to old PC without OS.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM to old PC without OS.: Good day. I bought a laptop back in the 2010s without an operating system. Currently, the HDD has been replaced with an SSD and the RAM has been increased. Can I now buy the OEM version https://soft.rozetka.com.ua/ua/microsoft_fqc_08978/p4313111/ and install the system on my...
  3. OEM to old PC without OS.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM to old PC without OS.: Good day. I bought a laptop back in the 2010s without an operating system. Currently, the HDD has been replaced with an SSD and the RAM has been increased. Can I now buy the OEM version https://soft.rozetka.com.ua/ua/microsoft_fqc_08978/p4313111/ and install the system on my...
  4. OEM to old PC without OS.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. will my old os work on new pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    will my old os work on new pc: I have a retail version of windows on my pc, and now its motherboard broke..so if I build a new pc with all new components except the SSD which has the oson my old pc will it work, or do I need to install a clean new os.And one more thing, will the product key work on the new...
  6. Best OS for a low end pc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best OS for a low end pc.: i have a computer that is currently running windows 10 home. And it's pretty bad. So I need to know what windows OS is best for it. PC SPECS: Intel R Celeron R CPU N3050 @ 1.60 GHZ 4G of ram 64 bit....
  7. Old OS's

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old OS's: How could I remove windows 7 having installed v.1803-17134-1130 of Windows 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-oss/36ad5ec3-a292-459c-978c-76c8ca21d16f"
  8. Charity: Best OS for

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Charity: Best OS for: Hello everyone! Our company wants to send a few old laptops to Kenya for Charity and we wanted to know what Microsoft OS would be best? Preferably Windows 10! < what upgrades would be needed to update this. (Planning to buy SSD and bigger Ram) DELL Latitude D620 Laptop...
  9. Best Free AV for Old PC?

Best Free AV for Old PC?: I have an older Windows 7 desktop that I need a free Antivirus for, one that's light on system resources preferably. I tried MBAM and it uses up quite a bit of CPU, my old PC would run loud when I had MBAM on it. I need something lightweight and completely 100% free.
  10. Best free games for old PC

Best free games for old PC: Hi. I have an old pc with an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 3GB RAM and Intel GMA 950 graphics; and a laptop with Intel Atom Z3736F, 2GB RAM and Intel HD 400 I have a problem with Steam games on my PC (textures arn't loading) so I can't use it. I need free games that will run on...