Windows 10: Best OS for really old PC

Discus and support Best OS for really old PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; No, Linux, please guys. I appreciate the suggestions, but just no. The max RAM is for the mobo is 4GB. Will be upgrading it today or tomorrow I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by djdelarosa25, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Best OS for really old PC

No, Linux, please guys. I appreciate the suggestions, but just no.

The max RAM is for the mobo is 4GB. Will be upgrading it today or tomorrow I think.

So what Windows OS now? Is there really such a difference between 7 and 10's memory usage? I don't like 10's UI, feels bloated IMO. A lot of useless features like tablet mode, Windows Store etc.

32-bit or 64-bit on 4GB of RAM?

djdelarosa25, Jan 8, 2016

2. Well what are you doing with the PC @djdelarosa25 ? Please be specific. Even so, there will still be varying opinions to a degree. If you don't like Windows 10, and all you do is productivity (Word/Excel/Mail/Browsing/Video/Music), a 32-bit OS would be fine (that's what I meant by x86), and as I said, if you opt for a 32-bit OS, you may as well just stick with 3 GB of RAM. The maximum amount of addressable memory space on a 32-bit system is 4 GB, but your video adapter and other hardware needs to map itself in that space as well. That means with 4 GB of RAM, you'll likely only see between 3.25 to 3.5 GB of RAM on 32-bit Windows.

Jody Thornton, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Berk Win User
    Wasn't this same issue blown out of all proportion and then debunked when XP was replaced by Vista? Windows since Vista will use spare RAM to make the system faster and more responsive, then relinquish it to apps/games as they are launched. Merely seeing more RAM used when the desktop loads vs the previous iteration is no indication of how efficient the overall memory performance is? If you have the RAM installed it is rational for the OS to use it as much as possible until something else needs it.

Have you tried unpinning and un-installing the bloat from the start menu? I've not used 10 for long, but my early impressions are that it can be made tolerable with rearrangement, even if some of it seems clumsy vs 7. DX12 being Windows 10 exclusive is the main reason I'm using 10 now.

I'm sticking with what I've said before in the thread, 64 bit. If 32 bit has a performance advantage in some circumstances that advantage is small and infrequent. 64 bit native software may see big performance gains. Ask yourself: what are you going to be using that isn't available in 64 bit? What apps/games are you using often that are known to be significantly faster on a 32 bit OS?

4. Best OS for really old PC

Thanks for the suggestions! Will be going for 4GB of RAM and Windows 7 x64.

djdelarosa25, Jan 10, 2016
  5. I have a dell latitude e6410 i5 2.67 processor, 4gb of ram and a 250gb hd. I got it running windows 7 ultimate and the night I got it installed windows 10 pro on it and it runs windows 10 pro perfect. seems faster than any machine I have played with running windows 7. windows 10 seems more stable as well

pitbullpup, Jan 10, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Just install Windows 10x64. It will work just fine.

Linux Mint 17.3x64 will also run on it just fine. Just because the machine is around 6 years of age, does not make it suddenly an antique.

The only laptop that I run Puppy Linux on, is a Toshiba Satellite that is around 20 years old. That is because it slowed down with Windows XP SP3 on it. Mainly used for testing purposes.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Best OS for really old PC

1. Best OS for really old PC - Similar Threads - Best really old

2. OEM to old PC without OS.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM to old PC without OS.: Good day. I bought a laptop back in the 2010s without an operating system. Currently, the HDD has been replaced with an SSD and the RAM has been increased. Can I now buy the OEM version https://soft.rozetka.com.ua/ua/microsoft_fqc_08978/p4313111/ and install the system on my...
  3. OEM to old PC without OS.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM to old PC without OS.: Good day. I bought a laptop back in the 2010s without an operating system. Currently, the HDD has been replaced with an SSD and the RAM has been increased. Can I now buy the OEM version https://soft.rozetka.com.ua/ua/microsoft_fqc_08978/p4313111/ and install the system on my...
  4. OEM to old PC without OS.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. will my old os work on new pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    will my old os work on new pc: I have a retail version of windows on my pc, and now its motherboard broke..so if I build a new pc with all new components except the SSD which has the oson my old pc will it work, or do I need to install a clean new os.And one more thing, will the product key work on the new...
  6. Best OS for a low end pc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best OS for a low end pc.: i have a computer that is currently running windows 10 home. And it's pretty bad. So I need to know what windows OS is best for it. PC SPECS: Intel R Celeron R CPU N3050 @ 1.60 GHZ 4G of ram 64 bit....
  7. Old OS's

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old OS's: How could I remove windows 7 having installed v.1803-17134-1130 of Windows 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-oss/36ad5ec3-a292-459c-978c-76c8ca21d16f"
  8. Charity: Best OS for

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Charity: Best OS for: Hello everyone! Our company wants to send a few old laptops to Kenya for Charity and we wanted to know what Microsoft OS would be best? Preferably Windows 10! < what upgrades would be needed to update this. (Planning to buy SSD and bigger Ram) DELL Latitude D620 Laptop...
  9. Best Free AV for Old PC?

Best Free AV for Old PC?: I have an older Windows 7 desktop that I need a free Antivirus for, one that's light on system resources preferably. I tried MBAM and it uses up quite a bit of CPU, my old PC would run loud when I had MBAM on it. I need something lightweight and completely 100% free.
  10. Best free games for old PC

Best free games for old PC: Hi. I have an old pc with an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 3GB RAM and Intel GMA 950 graphics; and a laptop with Intel Atom Z3736F, 2GB RAM and Intel HD 400 I have a problem with Steam games on my PC (textures arn't loading) so I can't use it. I need free games that will run on...