Windows 10: Best setup for system with both Solid State Disk (SSD) and HDD

Discus and support Best setup for system with both Solid State Disk (SSD) and HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I hope shortly to receive a "pre-owned" Dell M6800 laptop with a 128GB Solid State Disk (SSD) and a 750GB HDD. It comes with 8.1 installed (shudder)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by perdrix, Dec 15, 2015.

1. perdrix Win User

Best setup for system with both Solid State Disk (SSD) and HDD

I hope shortly to receive a "pre-owned" Dell M6800 laptop with a 128GB Solid State Disk (SSD) and a 750GB HDD.

It comes with 8.1 installed (shudder) and I will upgrade to 10 immediately as I couldn't tolerate 8 or 8.1. Once I've done that, I'll need to transfer all my applications and data (which will be tedious I know unless there's some trick or clever tool/application to do it - any suggestions are most welcome here).

Aapart from the OS what should go on the SSD, and what on the HDD. Looking at my current system, the Windows directory plus Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Program Data run awfully close to 128GB, so this isn't quite as simple as Windows & Apps on SSD, with everything else on the HDD and use junctions if necessary to point to data on the HDD.

I can't afford to replace the SSD with a bigger one as all available funds went into buying the new lappie.

Thanks lots
    Dave

:)

perdrix, Dec 15, 2015

2. Problem accessing a networked printer w/64 bit Professional version.

SSD=Solid State Drive

DD=Not a clue

HDD=Hard Disk Drive

Vodkanakas, Dec 15, 2015
  3. GordonB-P Win User
    how can i speed up windows 10 or my computer?

HDD is Hard Disk Drive (mechanical) and SSD is Solid State Drive (electronic).

Many tutorials on the web as to how to swap one for the other.

GordonB-P, Dec 15, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

A 128GB SSD is a pretty good size. As a rule of thumb, everything belonging to the OS (including apps) should go on the SSD and all data should go on the HDD. If you have too many apps, move the less frequently used ones to the HDD.

5. Ztruker Win User
    Also move the pagefile/swapfile to the HDD.

Ztruker, Dec 15, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    So you want the file that Windows is going to use the most on the slower drive? That doesn't really make any sense.

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Mine doesn't swap or very, very little as I have 16GB of ram.
    You raise a good point though, makes more sense to keep it on the fast SSD.

Ztruker, Dec 15, 2015
  8. Steve C Win User

I support the above. You could also use your HDD for system backups of the OS of the SSD. I would also install large programs (e.g. games) on the HDD and use the HDD for downloaded programs and ISO images etc.

Steve C, Dec 15, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You might be able to do it by creating a BCD on the hard drive that boots the USB. The bios would actually boot the hard drive - the BCD would point to the USB drive - Windows install would then add Windows to the BCD on the hard drive and the reboot during install should then launch Windows on the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2015
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    On most systems with 4GB or more of RAM, the pagefile is hardly ever used (if at all). So it can be on the slowest device.

Thema:

1. Best setup for system with both Solid State Disk (SSD) and HDD - Similar Threads - Best setup system

2. SSD and HDD both not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD and HDD both not responding: I have one ssd and one hdd in my laptop. The hdd was given with the laptop and the ssd I have installed myself. Suddenly from today evening, both the Drive C SSD & Drive D HDD not responding, though they are showing in the file explorer. How to resolve my problem?...
  3. SSD and HDD both not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD and HDD both not responding: I have one ssd and one hdd in my laptop. The hdd was given with the laptop and the ssd I have installed myself. Suddenly from today evening, both the Drive C SSD & Drive D HDD not responding, though they are showing in the file explorer. How to resolve my problem?...
  4. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked solid state disk: Turned on my desktop using Windows 10 pro. Came up fine. Came back several hours later to use the computer but was unresponsive and showing a black screen. I turned it off and then turned it back on again. The screen is displaying a blue box asking to select the HDD. It...
  5. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked solid state disk: Turned on my desktop using Windows 10 pro. Came up fine. Came back several hours later to use the computer but was unresponsive and showing a black screen. I turned it off and then turned it back on again. The screen is displaying a blue box asking to select the HDD. It...
  6. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage setup with a SSD and HDD: Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc...
  8. Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)?: Hi, I am running BitLocker encryption on two other Win 10 Pro 64Bit desktop computers with HDD's, but can't seem to get my other Win 10 Pro 64Bit desktop with SSD drive to work? I can get as far as rebooting to test the system with BitLocker, but after reboot it says:...
  9. Why is the system solid state SSD and HDD disk in the removal list?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is the system solid state SSD and HDD disk in the removal list?: Hi Why is the system solid state SSD and HDD disk in the removal list?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-the-system-solid-state-ssd-and-hdd-disk-in/928aca12-c81e-4932-bf00-1b7fdd5bc99c
  10. Defrag for SSD Solid State Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Defrag for SSD Solid State Disk: I know that is Dangerous... why the Defrag of Windows want to do it??? 63830

Users found this page by searching for:

1. both ssd and hdd in same computer