Windows 10: Best to Upgrade Win 7 or a new installation of Win 10 Pro?

Discus and support Best to Upgrade Win 7 or a new installation of Win 10 Pro? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I did pass on the free upgrade to Win 10 last year or so. But now feel it might be best to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. At this point in time I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cficare, Dec 6, 2017.

1. cficare Win User

Best to Upgrade Win 7 or a new installation of Win 10 Pro?

I did pass on the free upgrade to Win 10 last year or so. But now feel it might be best to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. At this point in time I would like to do 3 computers. And 2 others after the first of the year. Each has Win 7 Pro (64 bit). Also after reading a lot of the thread, many people are having problems with both ways of going to Win 10. My thought is to purchase 1 Win 10 DVD and then purchase additional keys as needed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

:)

cficare, Dec 6, 2017

2. WINDOWS NOT ACTIVATED AFTER FRESH INSTALL

Your current choices are to either re-install win 7 and upgrade, or purchasing a win 10 key. If you previously upgraded from win 7 to win 10 and it was activated you should not have this problem

BTW new motherboard/new computer means you need a new license. Either win 7 and upgrade or a purchased win 10 key.

Win 10 is only a free UPGRADE.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 6, 2017
  3. Windows 10 upgrade to new motherboard

Here is the situation that I am faced with. I was running Win 7 Ultimate Signature Series on my computer and had not upgraded to Win 10 yet. The motherboard died the other day. I decided to upgrade the motherboard, processor, memory etc. The HD that the
    Win 7 install was on is intact.

What I would like to do is install the upgrade after I hook up the new components. How does everyone think this will be best accomplished? I have the original DVD install disc and license key available.

Will I be able to upgrade in place or end up having to reinstall Win 7 and all the updates to a new drive and then upgrade to Win 10?

AM Saddler, Dec 6, 2017
  4. Best to Upgrade Win 7 or a new installation of Win 10 Pro?

Hi cficare. Welcome to the Tenforums @cficare

I would head to the Windows media creation tool, download the tool, execute the tool. Answer do not upgrade this PC rather create a USB Key. (Need 8GB key).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

Create a backup of your Win 7 environment using a tool like Macrium Reflect.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

I would even ensure I had a clean backup of data, I like to be sure.

With backup done insert USB key. Navigate to key to double click setup.

You should not have to enter key, it should activate based on win 7 product key.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Once installed and confirmed working if you want to clean install use same USB key but this time boot from key.

Here is the Clean install tutorial

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 6, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    And I would do all the computers before December 31. There are statements from Microsoft floating around out there that they may stop the free upgrades from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 on December 31.

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2017
  6. cficare Win User
  7. All those links seem to take me to same place.

First you download the tool. Once downloaded you double click on the file you downloaded. It starts, you click on Create installation media .... , you confirm it is the right bitness (32 or 64), then language, then click on USB. Need 8GB key. Once it is done you navigate to key and double click Setup.

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2017
  8. Best to Upgrade Win 7 or a new installation of Win 10 Pro?

I bought a copy of windows 10 home from Microsoft a couple of weeks ago. I paid them with Paypal.
    Microsoft sent me an email with a License number, and a link to click on.
    I clicked the link, it took me to Microsofts download tool, before I downloaded it asked me if I wanted to burn win 10 to a disk or usb.
    I chose disk. Then download the tool, it downloaded everything to a folder it created on my computer. Then it went thru a check over of the fresh download and OK'd it. That took about 20-30 minutes.
    Then it asked me if I wanted to burn it to a disk and clicked yes. It burned it. Thats it, it burns a boot up tool and the OS to the disk, everything is taken care of.

I then put a brand new blank hard drive into my computer along with the disk. Restarted the computer and the dvd player took over and the install was very easy. I have the latest copy of win 10 on a new speedy drive.

I also used that disk to install it on my other older win 7 machines, but I wiped those drives clean so no win 7 files/errors were left.

CannonRebel, Dec 8, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Excellent success story there, so simple to do, wish more people reported results like yours *Smile

AddRAM, Dec 8, 2017
  10. My Windows 10 installed so quick I didn't have time to go to the kitchen and get more coffee.
    I also used a DVD.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 8, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    If you currently have W7 do the upgrade so you will get a digital Licence -- then depending on your hardware do a CLEAN install --licence is preserved even if you totally wipe and re-format the HDD/SSD.

BACKUP W7 first though with Macrium or similar.

In some cases it might be worth just doing the upgrade --if you have types of hardware where W10 drivers are non existent the devices might continue to work after the upgrade.

Otherwise a clean install can remove any bloatware etc.
    Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 8, 2017
  12. I just tried to upgrade on my Windows 7 Pro 32bit through the Windows 10 upgrade using the "assistive technologies" and it did not work for some reason. It said it failed after about 45min of downloading and starting the install. I've done this before with another computer and it worked fine.

I also read here that I could do a Clean Install and use my Windows 7 Pro Product Key and it would Activate it after the Clean Install, is this true?

The laptop is also not updating. The updates were broken when I got it and have not fixed it because I was going to install Windows 7 Pro again, but in 64bit. But now I'm thinking it may be better to have Windows 10. I foget how far back the Updates stopped working, would this matter?

Any suggestions, and should I go ahead and start my own thread?

Thanks,

FunkMaster, Dec 10, 2017
  13. cficare Win User

In my minimal experience, it sounds like your laptop does not me the requirements to upgrade to Win 10. Just saying. I upgraded my Gamer yesterday and all went fine. Today I am going to try another but this one has MS 2010 Office Pro. Can't wait to see if all goes fine with the Office Pro.

cficare, Dec 10, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
    Office 2010 installs and works perfectly fine. I use it.

Office 97 also works but earlier versions have (not insurmountable) issues I believe.

15. I would use the Media Creation Tool to create a USB, which you may already have, and then run setup from key.

It has been a while since I did a clean install and then entered key. It was one on the processes that was originally used. I imagine it is still working.

If you devices have secure boot and or fast boot in BIOS please disable them until Win 10 is install.

For information, I've installed Win 10 on a 10 year old laptop as well as lots of other old gear.

Caledon Ken, Dec 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Best to Upgrade Win 7 or a new installation of Win 10 Pro? - Similar Threads - Best Upgrade installation

2. Win 7 Pro to Win 10 upgrade questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 Pro to Win 10 upgrade questions: I bought a laptop 5 years ago that came with a Win 10 Pro license which at that time I wasn't ready to upgrade to, so I had the manufacturer downgrade the OS install to Win 7 Pro. I now want to upgrade this older, but still capable laptop to have as a second computer - I...
  3. Win 7 Pro OA upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 Pro OA upgrade to Win 10: Hi, I'm trying to research as to whether my business can upgrade our Win 7 OA business specific client build to a version of Win 10. Is this still possible to do at no cost? We have tested both Win 10 and Linux, both work however more work is required for Linux however...
  4. How is the Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro upgrade process?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How is the Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro upgrade process?: Typically I do a fresh version of windows with a new PC build. That being said Win 7 is out of date and I might do the upgrade for security reasons. My concern is around doing the upgrade and having everything land back in exactly the same place its in now. For example I have...
  5. upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I have several times tried to upgrade my desktop dual boot Win XP and Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the downloaded ISO file, and keep my personal files and apps. It runs about 36 hours then fails. How can I make this upgrade? If not using the ISO file is there another...
  6. Repeatedly failed win 7 pro upgrade to win 10 pro

Repeatedly failed win 7 pro upgrade to win 10 pro: I've tried to upgrade my win 7 pro 64 to win 10 pro 64 for years on and off. I saved the WIN 10 ISO 1909 and thought that I would try again before the end of support. It kept failing until I tried to use anytime upgrade using my win 7 pro license key. Time was running short...
  7. Upgrade a win 7 pro system to win 10 pro

Upgrade a win 7 pro system to win 10 pro: I want to upgrade a Win 7 pro system to Win 10 pro. I want to do an upgrade and NOT a clean install. My question: Can I use the commercial version (available from computer stores) of win 10 to upgrade the win 7 system and use the license key that I assume comes with...
  8. Best method to upgrade Win Pro 7 to Win Pro 10?

Best method to upgrade Win Pro 7 to Win Pro 10?: I am in-house support of a modest sized Windows network which will upgrade to the latest version Windows server. Workstations will upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. I understand the free upgrade has ended and have no problem paying for upgrade licenses. We have...
  9. Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from a Microsoft certified seller. The problem I'm having is the upgrade keeps hanging up around 80% install. I'm running an MSI motherboard MSI Z975SSLI Krait Edition (MS 7922) 64 bit Intel core i5-4690 3.5 Ghz 38 GB memory. Can...
  10. Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: My first PC I upgraded did not upgrade to Pro. So I want to download the media for Pro, and upgrade with it. When I go to the MS site to download, it does not offer me a selection of versions to download. Can anyone suggest where to find the Pro Win 10 download, or a...