Windows 10: Best Virtual machine software to try W10 TP on Windows 8.1

Discus and support Best Virtual machine software to try W10 TP on Windows 8.1 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Can anyone recommend the least heavy (change in system prefs) and size, virtual machine software to test W10 TP on a Windows 8.1 Pro x86 desktop. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by banger, Oct 13, 2014.

1. banger Win User

Best Virtual machine software to try W10 TP on Windows 8.1

Can anyone recommend the least heavy (change in system prefs) and size, virtual machine software to test W10 TP on a Windows 8.1 Pro x86 desktop. I have tried VMWare Workstation in the past but find it is no longer free, I would like to have a quick look at W10.

Thanks in advance

Tim

:)

banger, Oct 13, 2014

2. Will Windows 10 license permit consumers to run it in a VM?

Hi,

I have been happily running Windows 10 TP in virtual machines (VirtualBox and VMWare) for several months. When the real Windows 10 is released will the license permit it to be run in a Virtual Machine by consumers, or is an Enterprise Service Agreement
    required as for Windows 8.1?

Thanks

EdwardGibbs, Oct 13, 2014
  3. pdomino Win User
    pdomino, Oct 13, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Oct 13, 2014
  5. DavidE Win User
    DavidE, Oct 13, 2014
  6. Kari Win User
    I prefer Windows' own native Hyper-V, to set it up in your Windows 8.1 Pro and install Windows 10 Tech Preview, simply follow the instructions in this tutorial: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Although tutorial is written to Windows 10, the Hyper-V in Windows 8 Pro & 8.1 Pro works and functions exactly the same way.

7. banger Win User
    I cant get hyper v to run on my desktop as it says the hardware is too old memory wise

banger, Oct 14, 2014
  8. Quisquose Win User

Is VMWare better than VirtualBox at running as 'full' a full-screen mode as possible?

Quisquose, Oct 31, 2014
  9. DavidE Win User
    For me VMware Player full screen works just like my Host OS in "full screen".
    I don't use VirtualBox so I can't comment on any difference with that.

I normally use the VM in "Windowed Maximized" so I can see both OSs at the same time.
    Some W10 modern apps don't work right unless the VM is "Full Screen".

DavidE, Oct 31, 2014
  10. strollin Win User
    The OP asked for the LEAST HEAVY VM software which would automatically exclude Hyper-V which requires Win 8.x PRO and 64-bit making it the most demanding VM software I have ever encountered.

strollin, Oct 31, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    First, Hyper-V uses less host resources than for instance VMware Player.

Second, who on earth would like to do some serious virtualization in a system with less than 4 GB of RAM? If you have 4 GB or more it's quite natural to assume you have an x64 version of Windows.

12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Have to agree with Kari on that one.

Another thing often forgotten is that the HYPER-V system uses dynamic RAM allocation -- If you for example allocate 4GB to a VM then VMWARE / VBOX etc will reserve that 4GB RAM making it unavailable to other VM's or the HOST system.

HYPER-V will only allocate RAM as needed (up to the Max you've set in the configuration). So if you have say an idle W10 VM it could be using as little as 500MB RAM or even less depending on various factors.

There are downsides though -- it's a bit more complex to set up HYPER-V VM's and they can't run on HOST's earlier than W8 - so for Linux HOSTS etc you need other considerations. Also the idea of using RDP to access the VM's can in some cases be a bit horrible over slow networks. A VMWARE VM also can run on a LINUX or a WINDOWS Host without change too.

It's worth though trying a VM with HYPER-V.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 31, 2014
  13. Kari Win User

14. DavidE Win User
    I use VMPlayer on my PRIMARY Box with Win 7 as the Host OS.
    My TEST box that has Win 8.1.1 is so bad (old) with a VM, it's unusable for me...

I can't use HYPER-V with a Win 7 Host as far as I know.
    So, I use VMware with a Win 7 Host that allows me use a VM with acceptable performance with my hardware ...

DavidE, Oct 31, 2014
  15. Quisquose Win User
    Useful info on VMWare and Hyper-V here. If I want to try the W10 TP in either of those can I re-use the licence key I put into VirtualBox? Or would I need to uninstall from VB first?

Thanks

Quisquose, Oct 31, 2014
Thema:

1. Best Virtual machine software to try W10 TP on Windows 8.1 - Similar Threads - Best Virtual machine

2. What are the best BRD software players in W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are the best BRD software players in W10?: I tried to do it for free with VLC MP, but geez it was complex and difficult. I had it working once for Avatar 1 movie BRD and wasn't impressed. And now, it doesn't work again. I read that I have to keep stuff updated. Too much work and don't have time to play with it again...
  3. What are the best BRD software players in W10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the best BRD software players in W10?: I tried to do it for free with VLC MP, but geez it was complex and difficult. I had it working once for Avatar 1 movie BRD and wasn't impressed. And now, it doesn't work again. I read that I have to keep stuff updated. Too much work and don't have time to play with it again...
  4. Best procedure to wipe windows clean in Virtual Machine and start over

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best procedure to wipe windows clean in Virtual Machine and start over: Hi, I use a VMWare Workstation Player 17 the free version to run a licensed Windows 10 operating system.I use this VM to practice and run programs and stay isolated from my main system.The VM is running slow, and I am trying to troubleshoot this.I would like to wipe the VM...
  5. Best procedure to wipe windows clean in Virtual Machine and start over

Best procedure to wipe windows clean in Virtual Machine and start over: Hi, I use a VMWare Workstation Player 17 the free version to run a licensed Windows 10 operating system.I use this VM to practice and run programs and stay isolated from my main system.The VM is running slow, and I am trying to troubleshoot this.I would like to wipe the VM...
  6. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.: Hello,I have always assumed that if I took a drive with the operating system and installed software from one machine and placed it in another, this would not work.Clearly the hardware would be different to start with.Setting up a PC can of course take many days to configure...
  7. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.: Hello,I have always assumed that if I took a drive with the operating system and installed software from one machine and placed it in another, this would not work.Clearly the hardware would be different to start with.Setting up a PC can of course take many days to configure...
  8. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.: Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine it won't activate. I just thought I would report one of my testings. I installed windows 7 retail in the virtual machine and it activated. I upgraded to windows 10 and it activated. I did a clean install of windows 10...
  10. Virtual Machines/Virus Software

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Machines/Virus Software: Hi, This is unrelated to Win 10 so thought this area might be best I put the VMWare Player on my PC to use Win 10 and would also like to now try putting XP on it for a bit of nostalgia, no networking with host but would like internet on it Is it safe to run XP under...