Windows 10: Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive

Discus and support Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Win 8.1 and I do not want to upgrade to Win 10, first concernes are about the lak of all Drivers (Sound, LAN,WLAN,BT). Before the Free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Adalwar, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive

Hi,

I have a Win 8.1 and I do not want to upgrade to Win 10, first concernes are about the lak of all Drivers (Sound, LAN,WLAN,BT).
    Before the Free Upgrade ends I thought to do a Image of my Win 8.1 Partition, upgrade it and see how it goes.
    Now, my HDD is 1TB, there are several user Partitions that I do not want to have a "Copy".

Question:
    What is the Best way (and simplest/Direct) to Image my System Partition?
    Will it be Bootable?
    Thanks

:)

Adalwar, Jul 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 relocation

Many SSD manufacturers include a Disk cloning utility with the packaged software.

If yours does, then that's the best way!

Otherwise you can use the free disk cloning software
    Clonezilla

Either way you'll need an external disk drive or flash drive of sufficient capacity to make an image of the HDD on.

JohnSmith531, Jul 25, 2016
  3. bluecew Win User
    Virtual Memory help?!

i heard that adjusting virtual memory helps multitasking in windows. My current setting is to 'automatically manage paging file for all drives'. I have three drives, one of them is windows 10 ssd drive. The other two are hdds for storage. I have 16gb of
    RAM. What settings are the best for me?

bluecew, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

If your intention is just to test Windows 10, see how it works on your hardware and if it finds all drivers, you don't have to install Windows 10: you can simply download a pre-installed Windows 10 on a virtual hard disk, add it to your Windows 8.1 boot menu and that's it.

If happy with it, you will then have time to install Windows 10 normally by upgrading your Windows 8.1 until Friday night.

Free upgrade countdown:

[ug][/ug]

See the tutorial on our sister site Eight Forums: Windows 10 - Test Try with No Risk, No Install

Video in the above mentioned tutorial shows the whole easy process. Video was also posted here on Ten Forums in our video thread:

New video: Windows 10 - Test & Try with No Risk, No Installation needed (for Win8 users)

Video is meant to show Windows 8 / 8.1 users how to test Windows 10 risk free on their real physical hardware, without any virtualization or need to install Windows 10, using a pre-installed 90 day trial version of Windows 10 on a virtual hard disk in dual / native boot.

Very simple procedure, totally free for 90 days, lets you test & try Windows 10 in dual native VHD boot before upgrading. Time needed for the whole process (not counting download & ZIP extraction time) = one minute *Smile

[youtube]nPXTwFF8nMk[/youtube]

Full video description and tutorial at EightForums.com: Windows 10 - Test Try with No Risk, No Install

This is basically the same than tut & video posted earlier for Windows 7 users, however the process is different enough in Windows 8 to justify its own tut & video.

Extra credits and kudos to our resident GFX guru @kado897 for title background and Windows 8 wallpaper.

Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive [​IMG]
    Tip Are you Windows 10 Stable Release user, wanting to test latest Insider Preview builds before deciding if opting in is something for you?

Although this video is made for Windows 8 / 8.1, the process of using pre-installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a VHD in native dual boot is exactly the same in Windows 10. This video and tutorial apply as they are to Windows 10, letting you test Insider build on your real hardware without installing it, with no risk.

Thema:

1. Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive - Similar Threads - Best Imaging HDD

2. Best way to "fit" desktop background image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to "fit" desktop background image?: Some of the images I have for desktop backgrounds (slideshow), don't fit properly, even though I select the "fit" option. As far as I can tell, Windows is only scaling based on height, so when an image has an aspect ratio that is wider than tall compared to my desktop's...
  3. Best way to create system image?

Best way to create system image?: Hello so best software to create system image?is windows 10 built in system image creator ( windows 7) is reliable?idk how reliable it is so are there any better softwares to do that?i want to create a proper image of my whole drive c because i am gonna have to restore it...
  4. Best way to keep data safe with two HDD

Best way to keep data safe with two HDD: Hey everyone. I have a Lenovo T430 with a 512GB mSATA drive, and a 512GB 2.5 inch SSD drive. My question is which is the best way to keep data safe, since apparently there's no agreement in the community. The OS and apps are in the msata drive. One option is to keep...
  5. Best way to move files froms SSD to HDD

Best way to move files froms SSD to HDD: Hi, I need help cause I´m a little confused. How do I know which of my disks is the HDD and which the SSD. I think thath the Windows (C:) is the SSD and the Data (D:) is the HDD. Is that correct. Well, I have a lot of files on Windows (C:) (sadly just 23 GB are left ), but...
  6. Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?

Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?: Hi there guys, I'm starting to organize my desktop because I want to have it as clean and polished as possible. I wanted to use the multiple Desktop function of W10 but, as far as I tried, it is really poor. I can't setup different desktop icons for each desktop, and I can't...
  7. best way to repair windows 10 hdd?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    best way to repair windows 10 hdd?: Hello, I have a windows 10 install that went bad. I am unable to boot from it says it needs repair I would like to recover data from it and use it again. What is the best way to go about repairing this drive? More specifically: can I avoid attempting to boot from it and...
  8. Best way to create an image for windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to create an image for windows 10: i would like to ask for the best way to create an image for hp Elitedesk 800 G4 DM 65W i am a beginner and i will use this image for my 2000 pcs , so i need any explanation or recommendation for my issue thank you...
  9. What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD: I am having various issues/and Event errors that I'm trying to clean up. They include BITS and Perflib errors and Malwarebytes is not automatically or manually updating, requiring me to reinstall about every other day. The biggest issue is that, when I log out, the system...
  10. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD: Title really says it all. I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL> The computer has a 1st or 2nd generation SATA 300GB HDD and the bundle package I ordered came with a brand new 1TB SATA HDD. Aside from...