Windows 10: Best Way to Build A New Win10 Machine.

Discus and support Best Way to Build A New Win10 Machine. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have this Gigabyte B75M-D3V board and an i3 cpu. And a new Seagate 1T hard drive. The drive is totally new. Hasn't been formatted or anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Mar 8, 2017.

1. abrogard Win User

Best Way to Build A New Win10 Machine.

I have this Gigabyte B75M-D3V board and an i3 cpu.

And a new Seagate 1T hard drive.

The drive is totally new. Hasn't been formatted or anything at all.

What's the best way for me to get from here to a working Win10 system?

I can't connect it to the internet right now because there's no OS and therefore no web connect.

But I know that MS do web downloads to facilitate putting up win10 systems.

I could hard wire it into the router and maybe it'd connect if there's onboard net adapter on these boards, I don't know.

Just thought I'd ask...

Currently thinking of using an old thumbdrive I have with a win10 install on it and working on from there...

:)

abrogard, Mar 8, 2017
  2. Kamka Win User

best way to transfer all data to a new model phone?

Try the Switch wizard on the N95.

Switch guide is available
    here

Kamka, Mar 8, 2017
  3. best way to transfer all data to a new model phone?

Does anyone have a recommended and systematic way to transfer contacts, messages etc from one phone to another.

eg I recently upgraded from a 6310 to an N95. I discovered that some of my contacts inj the 6310 were onn the SIM and some were on the phone.

I tried to back-up the 6310 to my PC and then restore to the N95.

Somehow I ended up with many duplicated contacts, which meant that caller ID did not display names when i received calls.

I discovered that with Nokia help. But I am still left that stored messages which were transferred, are transferred ok, but now display the phone number instead of the contact name.

so specific questions:

1. any idea how to correct the issue I have with my phone

2. generally, is there a systematic way to clean up a phone before transferring data to a new handset

3. Any tips for systematically organising contacts on a phone? previously I have just added contacts, saved numbers etc, and the phone seems to have decided where to store them.

(I am not a luddite, I have a degree in electronics, I have worked in technical positions troubleshooting equipment and software for years, but I have never sat and played with mobiles to get the hang of how to use them efficiently - and I find the N95 user
    guide not so clear or helpful in some areas)

any sites or documents you can point me towards would be welcome.

Thanks

peacheater---01, Mar 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would start with that.

NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
  6. abrogard Win User
    clean install. yes. but that's what i'm asking. how?

every little detail could be something i ought to know about. like last time i build a computer i found the hard drive i was using (new one) was not recognisable. I had to take it over to another machine (another win10 as it happens) and get it to be recognised there.

I forget what it was but it wasn't simply a format. It was something about getting win10 to even see there was a disk there in the first place and then it formatted it and then I was able to put in the new machine and start the process.

Is that confusing things, what I've said, or you see what i mean?

And I had an Asrock board I think it was that needed the internet before I could put win7 on it one time, because it had to have the usb ports configured for usb2 - they were usb3 by default and win7 couldn't understand them...

You get all kinds of funny little hassles some times, don't you?

So that's why I'm asking this apparently dumb little question.

Just how? Just what procedure? win10 install disk? or win10 install USB? hardwire internet connection first? install something else first (xp) and then connect and then download a win10 install ?

Be much easier if they had an OS on the disks when you buy them, wouldn't it?

Or if there was a well known easy small OS we could use - put it on the disk while in some other machine.

I thought BART might do that one time but it didn't work when I tried it.

*Smile

abrogard, Mar 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Did you notice that this was a link that you can click on?:

Clean Install Windows 10 <<<click on link

Boot the computer from your Windows 10 USB flash drive and it's pretty easy after that.

NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2017
  8. abrogard Win User

I didn't. *Sad

poor, poor pitiful me.

I'll click on it and go for it.

Thanks.

*Smile

p.s. you are/were a lieutenant commander in the Navy?

abrogard, Mar 8, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    You should get a ssd for Windows and use the hard drive for storage.

1) You do not have to be connected to the internet, in fact most of the time you can`t even get to the internet without installing the network drivers first.

2) Most people buy hard drives for storage. Having an OS already on them ??? The price would be outrageous, never happen. PC`s yes, hard drives Natta.

Use the boot menu to choose the flash drive one time, that`s it. When it reboots the install should continue without any interaction from you *Smile

Any more questions, just ask.

AddRAM, Mar 8, 2017
  10. abrogard Win User
    how big an ssd would you advise?

I don't see that. There's probably public domain OS's available for free. If not a dollar a drive would be a handsome return on investment wouldn't it? That's the software. Actually putting it on there would be another cost but I can't see that'd be onerous either, just another link in the assembly chain.

Doesn't matter. The question raises the notion of why not the option? With bootable USB sticks everywhere why not the option to purchase an immediately bootable hard drive?

I would pay an extra dollar or two - maybe even five - to get something that was immediately bootable and perhaps even came with net connectivity.

Doesn't have to be much. Doesn't even need a GUI. There's memstick Linux type OS's available right now.

*Smile

abrogard, Mar 8, 2017
  11. spunk Win User
    Unfortunately, Hardware manufacturers and Microsoft are not the same company like Apple is. So, when Windows installs on a computer, it takes a snapshot of the hardware, motherboard and chipset and loads drivers specific to that hardware. If you were to remove the drive and place it into a different computer with different hardware, when the computer would try and boot, it would look for the older hardware and not find it and it would BSOD or not boot.
    So, Windows cannot be preinstalled on a Hard Drive when you buy it.
    Yes, there are many versions of Linux you can get for free if you don't want to pay for Windows, but some hardware (ie) printers, scanners, etc do not work with Linux, Though most do, plus if you have only used Windows, there is a learning curve.

spunk, Mar 8, 2017
  12. abrogard Win User
    Yes, I know.

What we're talking about is a basic platform upon which Windows can be installed. Or Linux. Or OS/2 or whatever.

Quite possibly there's an OS out there right now that would do the job and I could have it tonight just for downloading it onto a stick and then could boot from that stick and away I go...

And if that became common knowledge it'd become 'the way' to start setting up a new machine: boot from a stick, set up your internet connection, download mobo drivers or whatever, then download an OS and install....

Maybe ReactOS or Haiku.. I don't know.. they all want to be fully fledged OS's in their own right... more than I need, more than I'm hypothesizing...

abrogard, Mar 8, 2017
  13. Rocky Win User

Its 2017, I would not run an OS on a hard drive at all. Put the OS on an SSD.

Rocky, Mar 8, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sure it could. Very easily.

sysprep /generalize

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.10).aspx

"If you intend to transfer a Windows image to a different computer, you must run sysprep /generalize, even if the computer has the same hardware configuration. The sysprep /generalize command removes unique information from your Windows installation, which enables you to reuse that image on different computers. The next time you boot the Windows image, the specialize configuration pass runs. During this configuration pass, many components have actions that must be processed when you boot a Windows image on a new computer. Any method of moving a Windows image to a new computer, either through imaging, hard disk duplication, or other method, must be prepared with the sysprep /generalize command. Moving or copying a Windows image to a different computer without running sysprep /generalize is not supported."

But then when you purchased the hard drive or SSD you would also have to pay the additional price for the Windows license - but still not a bad idea at all.

One hurdle, though, would be GPT v. MBR partitioning of the hard drive - GPT for UEFI computers and MBR for legacy BIOS computers. But all that could be specified in the order, 32/64 bit, Home/Pro, UEFI/BIOS.

NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2017
  15. tonez Win User
Thema:

1. Best Way to Build A New Win10 Machine. - Similar Threads - Best Build Win10

2. Stop code: Machine Check Exception Win10 64-bit new build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stop code: Machine Check Exception Win10 64-bit new build: Stop code: Machine Check Exception (repeated daily over the last 3 weeks of this new build) (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1909 OS Build 18363.959) Had this stop code even with basic Win10 64-bit basic install with NO 3rd party A/V software. Performed the following: RUN DISM...
  3. Stop code: Machine Check Exception Win10 64-bit new build

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop code: Machine Check Exception Win10 64-bit new build: Stop code: Machine Check Exception (repeated daily over the last 3 weeks of this new build) (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1909 OS Build 18363.959) Had this stop code even with basic Win10 64-bit basic install with NO 3rd party A/V software. Performed the following: RUN DISM...
  4. Installing Win10 on new machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on new machine: Hey everyone, I'm selling a PC and am looking to install Windows on it for the new user. I have my own system with an ISO for Windows 10, as well as a blank 1TB hard drive intended for the PC being sold. I'm not entirely sure how to install the ISO on the blank hard drive so...
  5. Best way to shutdown machines automatically?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to shutdown machines automatically?: Hello, in a school enviroment, many computers are being left on over night. The machines have a group policy for 'User prefrence to put computers to sleep after X' time however this does not work when nobody is logged on and it sits on the login screen, tried to do this for...
  6. Best way to revert to Build 1511?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best way to revert to Build 1511?: I have currently AU installed and do not have any longer the option "Roll Back" to 1511. I have a System Image from AU with the option to Roll-Back to 1511. Will that work, or System will Delete at once that Option when I start from it? Are there other options? 63504
  7. Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10: I have Win10 and a 2 Terabyte external drive. I want to hang small old drives off the machine and copy their contents (200G, 100G, stuff like that) to that 2 Tera drive so's I can then wipe them and perhaps use them for other purposes. Windows copy seems uncertain. I...
  8. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD: Title really says it all. I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL> The computer has a 1st or 2nd generation SATA 300GB HDD and the bundle package I ordered came with a brand new 1TB SATA HDD. Aside from...
  9. New Build with new and old parts, best way to install...

New Build with new and old parts, best way to install...: Hey guys, I am rebuilding my systems, going to take apart the two I have now and build a new one with new parts as well as old parts from the two systems, its mostly going to be new parts. The system specs I have in this forum is of the PC that I use to...
  10. Best way to upgrade to newest build?

Best way to upgrade to newest build?: What would be the best way to upgrade to the newest build from 9926? Just wanting to ask. 4787