Windows 10: Best way to clone a Windows Installation?

Discus and support Best way to clone a Windows Installation? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but considering a lot of people have cloned their Windows installations before an upgrade or a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by EightK, Jul 30, 2016.

1. EightK Win User

Best way to clone a Windows Installation?

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but considering a lot of people have cloned their Windows installations before an upgrade or a clean install, I thought I'd try!

I noticed that on my 250gb ssd, there are 3 partitions relating to the one Windows installation (I had originally split the drive so the main partition would only be 50gb, but there are hidden partitions (RAW ~ 10gb) and system ~ 350mb. There's currently about 180gb unallocated.

Rather than save the whole disk as an image, am I able to only save (selected) those relevant partitions? I use Clonezilla. Would Macrium Reflect Free offer this ability? Or would I just need to save those partitions individually?

Thanks for any help.

:)

EightK, Jul 30, 2016
  2. PradsM Win User

what happens to my free copy of windows 10 after the initial free upgrade time period, if for some reason i need to do a fresh installation?

Thank your for your post. If that is the case its best we make a clone of the HDD as soon as we upgrade to Windows 10. That way we can just clone the original copy to new HDD if for some reason the OS doesn't reset. Best way to clone a Windows Installation? :)

PradsM, Jul 30, 2016
  3. From one hard drive to another

Many SSD's come with a Disk cloning program. If yours does, that's the best way.

Gordon B-P, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Use Macrium Reflect Free and select the option Create an image of the partitions required to backup & restore Windows. You can select the option to image individual partitions if you know what you are doing. Imaging is preferred to cloning to avoid having two disks connected to your PC with an identical disk signature.

Steve C, Jul 30, 2016
  5. EightK Win User
    Thanks Steve C.

Guess that's what I was referring to earlier, saving an image to restore later. I assume cloning is used more for disk to disk copy?

I intend to image the Windows partitions onto an external desktop drive, then restore from image to the same / another SSD.

Thanks.

EightK, Jul 30, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Use my first option to image your system partitions. Create a Macrium Reflect recovery drive. Then install your new drive, boot to the Macrium recovery drive and restore the saved image to your new drive. It's good practice to have only one drive connected when you first boot the new drive to avoid boot configuration problems.

There are more tips in my guide here which you can adapt for your configuration http://www.eightforums.com/installat...s-hdd-ssd.html

Steve C, Jul 30, 2016
  7. T0mmy1977 Win User
    Clonezilla works really well.

T0mmy1977, Jul 31, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

Clonezilla works (especially for Linux- although doesn't handle XFS format) - but an advantage with Macrium is that apart from being a zillion times faster is that you can load special drivers - great for a stand alone version if you need to load things like hardware RAID drivers at boot time, you can do windows boot repairs and you can restore to unlike hardware.

Macrium actually can handle Linux xfs partitions but it takes a longish time as it's a sector by sector copy and you need to CLONE not IMAGE otherwise Linux won't boot until you re-install GRUB2 again and do some other recovery. Windows imaging is fast because Macrium can use "Intelligent copy". I've backed up Windows from internal SSD to external SSD in around 5 - 7 mins --roughly same time to restore -- data transfer rates approaching 1gb/s !!!.

Note Clonezilla is really only a subset of the Linux DD command wrapped around with a GUI. There are much better ways of copying / imaging partitions than relying on DD which used to be known by Linux admins as "Disk Destroyer" !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2016
  9. brubakes Win User
    I'm a big fan of the FOG Project. It's been growing leaps and bounds recently for support and features. It does more than just imaging too.

brubakes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Best way to clone a Windows Installation? - Similar Threads - Best clone Installation

2. Best way to migrate install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to migrate install?: Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7. Few questions: First question is just...
  3. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  4. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  5. What Is The Best Firefox Clone??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What Is The Best Firefox Clone??: I have been using Pale Moon for like 5 or 6 years now the last 5 to 7 version have all been crap they crash way to much time to dump it. What is the best Firefox clone other than Pale Moon that is really stable??
  6. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...
  7. Best Way to Install Office 2016?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Best Way to Install Office 2016?: I currently have a licence for Office 2010 for 3 PCs installed on 3 PCs. I want to retire Office 2010 on my main desktop PC and use Office 2016 instead for which I've bough a cheap single PC licence. I then want to use the spare Office 2010 licence on a fourth PC (but only...
  8. Best way to partition a clean install?

Best way to partition a clean install?: I'm likely to want to do a complete clean install, perish the thought. Or maybe I'll get a new computer. This one was fast and loaded, but it's about 6 years old now. Same considerations will apply in both cases I think. I just ran Macrium to backup Win, and find the...
  9. Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install: I think we've got a corrupt Win10 install here. A new Seagate drive had bad sectors maybe. Had all sorts of problems. So I reckon a reinstall or something. What would be the recommended way of going about this? 81415
  10. Best way to clean install windows 10

Best way to clean install windows 10: Yes, I've read many articles, but what do you think is the best way? 57389