Windows 10: Best Way To Go BACK to Win7

Discus and support Best Way To Go BACK to Win7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, for whatever reason, I'm having a myriad of issues with Win10. This laptop isn't even 4 months old, and I just had to replace my HHD last week, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gplea, Apr 6, 2016.

1. gplea Win User

Best Way To Go BACK to Win7

So, for whatever reason, I'm having a myriad of issues with Win10. This laptop isn't even 4 months old, and I just had to replace my HHD last week, and my internet connection is dropping out every 5 mins. I have an OLD laptop with Win7 on it sitting right beside me and it's doing fine. I also have my cell phone that's doing just fine. Reason #2, I've been trying for the last 3 weeks to sign into Chrome on this one, and I've inquired on no less than 5-6 forums, incl. this one, and Google has been the least help of all. I can sign right out, and sign back in on Win7. Finally, I'm sick and tired of having to sign into Win10 every time I breathe, and I've tried to remedy that, and nothing stays the way I think it should.

So, having said all that, what would be the best way to format my HDD totally clean, so I can stick a Win7 Install DVD in AND GO!?

Thanks Guys,
    GPL

:)

gplea, Apr 6, 2016

2. Windows 10 issue with typing and drop downs

I had the same exact issue after upgrading from Win7 to Win10. Spent many hours online looking for a solution. Tried the ones listed above. No luck.

What's the point of having a new shiny OS when you can't type anything Best Way To Go BACK to Win7 :) My daughter was so mad after the upgrade since she couldn't do her homework anymore on the laptop.

This morning I reverted to . It was so easy to go , just one click and after 5mins you are . That's the only silver lining, the only good thing Microsoft had thought about while coming up with Win10. It's such a relief
    now. I can finally type.. woo hoo...

Adios Win10. See you later or NOT.

Back to Win7, Apr 6, 2016
  3. Taffy087 Win User
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10. What's the best way to Back Up?

I was just about to back up my PC when I realised I may have a problem. I will have fewer User Accounts on my new WIn10 than I have on this Win7 --> Win 10.

Is it possible to back up selected parts of a PC eg Main User Account?

Taffy087, Apr 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, what you're asking is easy.

But given it's a new laptop, is it actually Win 7 compatible? Worth checking... think drivers.

Not sure why you're repeatedly signing in to Win 10.. mine's stable (new laptop, installed Win 10 myself). But sure, some have bad experiences, and most here have probably had some snag at some point, and a few have Wifi issues with Win 10.

dalchina, Apr 6, 2016
  5. gplea Win User
    Thanks Dalchina. Fair question, and one of the reasons I posted it. I DO have software that goes out and updates drivers. On the other hand, ASUS told me that they didn't offer Win7 drivers for this model. Should I run a program like Speccy that would give me the full list of drivers, or just go to ASUS' driver page and see which ones they have, and then try to find Win7 versions of those?

Meantime, can you pls explain the best, EASIEST way to setup for Win7.

Thanks,
    GPL

gplea, Apr 7, 2016
  6. Porthos Win User
    Without drivers it is a lost cause. But if you want to attempt it. Back up your system with something like Macrium just in case.

Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

Porthos, Apr 7, 2016
  7. gplea Win User
    Thanks Porthos. If I have the System Recovery DVD won't that suffice?

gplea, Apr 7, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

This laptop came with what OS preinstalled ?

Reverting to Win7 may well be more trouble than it's worth given ASUS doesn't support it and they often use proprietary hardware that's more advanced than W7 hardware-wise.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 7, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Then it is supposed to work properly with W10.

Cheers ,*Smile

fdegrove, Apr 7, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it came with Windows 10 then the System Recovery DVD will have Windows 10 drivers on it, not Windows 7. One other thing to consider.... how are you going to activate Windows 7? Do you have a retail product key for it?

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  11. gplea Win User
    Thanks. Yes, I'm able to activate Win7. I've done many times with no problems.

gplea, Apr 7, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Might as well go for it. All you've got to lose is time - if you have a way of returning the laptop back to factory software. If it is less than 4 months old and not working correctly, I would think it is still under warranty.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  13. gplea Win User

Well, what's the best way to get the HDD back to "zero", or completely wiped clean? Any little utilities I can download for that?

Thanks,
    GPL

gplea, Apr 7, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Select Custom install option from the Windows 7 install DVD. You will be shown a list of partitions on the HDD. Delete each partition shown until you have one big unallocated space. Select the unallocated space to install to and click next.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

W7 re-install shouldn't be too much of a problem - there's still a load of drivers around.

What you WON'T be able to do though is use secure boot nor boot from a UEFI disk so you'll have to convert your boot disk to MBR and disable secure boot. You'll also have to enable legacy boot.

You can if you have > 1 HDD use GPT on those.

If you are using Storage Spaces that also won't work on W7.

You might also have problems with the Graphics driver if you have a full HD screen though most laptops still have that measly 1366 X 768 resolution !!!.

Why you want to revert to an old essentially unsupported OS seems a bit beyond sensible reasoning - but it's your machine. A bit like buying a BMW and then putting in a Fiat Punto engine in it.

Still each to their own.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Best Way To Go BACK to Win7 - Similar Threads - Best Win7

2. the best way to cast a movie from my computer womdpws 10 pro with all updates. to my Tv....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the best way to cast a movie from my computer womdpws 10 pro with all updates. to my Tv....: what's the best way to cast a movie from my computer womdpws 10 pro with all updates. to my Tv. Both are connected via wifi cable through a switch....
  3. the best way to cast a movie from my computer womdpws 10 pro with all updates. to my Tv....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the best way to cast a movie from my computer womdpws 10 pro with all updates. to my Tv....: what's the best way to cast a movie from my computer womdpws 10 pro with all updates. to my Tv. Both are connected via wifi cable through a switch....
  4. the best way to cast a movie from my computer womdpws 10 pro with all updates. to my Tv....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. What are the best AI Voice Assistants on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 News
    What are the best AI Voice Assistants on Windows 11?: [IMG]In this article, we have curated some of the best AI voice assistants for Windows 11/10 and evaluated their features to help you choose the right one for your needs. AI voice assistants have completely changed how we communicate with our Windows devices. While they offer...
  6. I bought Office Home and Student but don't need it. Best buy can not refund.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I bought Office Home and Student but don't need it. Best buy can not refund.: I bought my dad office home and student but he already has an office subscription. I traveled to Oklahoma for his 92nd birthday to set up his new computer system which I purchase from Best Buy. I was not told when I ordered the computer that I could not return the Office...
  7. What's the best way of mixing USB audio in with analogue audio in for Win7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the best way of mixing USB audio in with analogue audio in for Win7?: So if you need to mix an analogue mic with a USB mic what's the best way of doing that? Hardware or software? Or can I do it with software to start? And can Win7 handle multiple USB audio inputs? If not, what about Win10 or 11?...
  8. What's the best way of mixing USB audio in with analogue audio in for Win7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the best way of mixing USB audio in with analogue audio in for Win7?: So if you need to mix an analogue mic with a USB mic what's the best way of doing that? Hardware or software? Or can I do it with software to start? And can Win7 handle multiple USB audio inputs? If not, what about Win10 or 11?...
  9. What is best method for replacing Win7 pc with Win10 pc and OneDrive files synching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is best method for replacing Win7 pc with Win10 pc and OneDrive files synching: I am finally replacing old pc Win7 with a new pc Win10. Old pc set up with OneDrive for Business with MS 365 Business Basic email/license. Have files in OneDrive folder set to syc to BOTH cloud and pc. This acts as internal fileserver for small company and shared with...
  10. Which is the best way to update from win7(32bit) to win10(64bit)? Should I use USB or...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which is the best way to update from win7(32bit) to win10(64bit)? Should I use USB or...: submitted by /u/hrhr333 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eyrzw6/which_is_the_best_way_to_update_from_win732bit_to/