Windows 10: Best way to Have a Clean Installation on a new Windows 10 tablet

Discus and support Best way to Have a Clean Installation on a new Windows 10 tablet in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everybody! I recently got a great deal on an HP Pavilion X2 10- 2 in 1 that came with Windows 10. As it is a secondary computer and going to replace... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bbeelzebub, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Best way to Have a Clean Installation on a new Windows 10 tablet

Hi everybody! I recently got a great deal on an HP Pavilion X2 10- 2 in 1 that came with Windows 10. As it is a secondary computer and going to replace an Android tablet as my primary portable solution, I'm trying to achieve the max. amount of free storage space own the embedded 32gb flash storage.

After uninstalling some bloat and running Windows update, I'm left with a whopping 11.6 gb of free space. I'd read there was a solution to reseting the pc minus the bloat, but I believe that article was incorrect. I would like to ditch the HP recovery partition completely as I have no need for any of their crapware and reclaim that space. (It's a 5.?gb partition where they are hiding the HP junk.)

Is the only solution to purchase a retail Windows 10 license or can I install Windows 10 from USB and the serial automatically transfers? (I doubt that would work.) or is there any other solution to achieve a slimmed down install so I can ditch the partition and just have pure Windows 10?

Thanks!

:)

bbeelzebub, Dec 25, 2015
  2. SumGuy123 Win User

Clean install of Windows 10 on a new drive; best way to remove windows 7 on old drive?

No response. Well I'm going to go ahead and reformat. I'll report back with any anomalies. Thanks.

SumGuy123, Dec 25, 2015
  3. SumGuy123 Win User
    Clean install of Windows 10 on a new drive; best way to remove windows 7 on old drive?

Thank you for responding. So the windows 10 installation won't be affected by formatting the drive that windows 7 was on? Just want to be clear before I do this.

SumGuy123, Dec 25, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Best way to Have a Clean Installation on a new Windows 10 tablet

If and when you get rid of the recovery partition, I would recommend to first make an image of the system so that you always have some fallback. And make sure you include the partition with the bootmgr.

5. cereberus Win User
    You do not need to buy another licence. According to MS, as you have bought a new pc (doesn't matter that it is a tablet), you should have a conventional product key supplied with pc on card or coa sticker.

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

This means you can reinstall 10 using standard MS iso, creating a usb installation stick from here

Windows 10

and you will need your windows 10 key. Not 100% certain, but I think devices that came with preinstalled Windows 10 are like Windows 7 i.e. they use a generic key, but to reinstall you need the COA key (see first article above).

So the key question (no pun intended) is do you have a windows 10 key?
    Come back if you do not have a key before you start.

ALSO, BE CAREFUL. Tablets often use special drivers not included in the standard MS iso. Before you reinstall Windows 10, it is advisable to backup your 3rd party drivers first using link below (works on windows 10)

How to Export Drivers Using Powershell in Windows 8.1 U1 | Windows OS Hub

With reference to your recovery/bloat partitions etc., you can normally delete them but I strongly advise you install Macrium Reflect Free, and create a full image backup to an external drive first (a 32GB usb stick is big enough). You will also need to create a 1GB Rescue drive as well (you can put both on one 32GB drive normally, but you need to create Rescue Drive first). With this backup in place, you can safely delete partitions, and revert if any problems.

Note: Tablets sometimes use 32bit OS to save space, even though the cpu can handle 64bit. You need to check this before you reinstall (look on system info page from control panel). You might be able to install a 64bit version, but it depends on the tablet eg Linx tablets will only allow 32bit installs.

cereberus, Dec 25, 2015
  6. Thanks for the info! I double checked my box when looking to see if a COA sticker was on or in it, nothing. I looked up what shows in Windows in the properties tab for my computer and it appears to be a generic OEM product key there (Last three digits are OEM). Nothing else on the product or in the packaging.

Funny enough though, there is a sticker on the box stating that in order to use 64 bit features, a separate purchase of a 64 bit OS is required. However, it is the 64bit version of Windows 10 installed on it. (I know in the past with HP products, they've been known to install a 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware.) I hadn't even thought of that this time, but am happy to see it is a 64 bit OS included.

I'm guessing the best idea is to backup everything with Macrium first to a separate drive, backup the drivers, then attempt to do a clean install w/ downloadable Windows 10. I'll use this: Download Windows OEM Product Key Tool - NeoSmart Technologies to extract my actual product key, and if it all takes, I should be home free. If not..... Then I need to restore the partitions and data that I backed up with Macrium. Sound right?

bbeelzebub, Dec 26, 2015
  7. cereberus Win User
    Not sure why you do not have a key, as new device?

Worst case is you have to restore current OS installation using Macrium and upgrading rather than a reinstall.

Edit: reading your link, it would seem preinstalled oem windows 10 keys are embedded in bios in same way as Windows 8.1 was. This is news to me and seems to slightly contradict MS's activation link. I hope it is correct as that makes life much easier. Does anybody know for sure?

cereberus, Dec 26, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The Windows 10 product key is stored in the bios of the tablet. Clean installing Windows 10 version 1511, build 10586 will read the product key in bios and install and activate the version of Windows 10 the stored product key is good for. You get to choose 32 bit or 64 bit (if the processor will support 64 bit). Make sure and make a complete image with Macrium reflect on a USB flash drive or an SD card. You will likely need to load drivers from the image that you make.

The downloaded Windows 10 from either the Media Creation Tool or Tech Bench will install just fine. Just make sure you get the matching edition to what is installed now - plain Windows 10, Windows 10 Single Language, or Windows 10 N. Running showkeyplus from this forum will show you the Windows product key that is stored in bios.

Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

When you do the clean install with the downloaded Windows 10 from MCT or Tech Bench - after you make a complete image with Macrium Reflect - select the custom install option, delete all the partitions in the eMMC, then point setup to the unallocated space. With 32gb eMMC, Windows 10 will install automatically in a compressed state.

Once you get Windows 10 installed, then you install Macrium Reflect, mount the C: drive partition in the image file you created earlier, and in device manager point any unknown devices to install device drivers from the Windows directory of the mounted image file.

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2015
  9. Thank you, NavyLCDR. That sounds exactly what I wanted to do.

I chatted with MS online and the rep attempted to give me a product key, but after running the commands he asked for, said I would have to call HP or grab the product key from the bios myself.

Both you and Cereberus have been very helpful! Now to let the fun begin! *Nerd

The MS chat rep tried to convince me a reset of Windows was just as good, but when I brought up the 5.5gb of lost space and the HP Crapware, He changed his tune and gave me instructions similar to what was said in this thread. LOL

bbeelzebub, Dec 26, 2015
  10. cereberus Win User
    Thanks for this - have you a link about oem 10 keys being biods embedded, as I could not find anythingvother than a mention in the neosmart tool?

This also explains a case I saw on another forum where a user upgraded to 10 pro from oem 10, but did a clean install of 10586, but only got home installed.

cereberus, Dec 26, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Again, run showkeyplus. It will show you the Windows product key stored in bios and what version of Windows it is for:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 clean install will install whatever version matches the product key stored in bios unless it is overridden by a different product key contained in a PID.txt file copied to the install media.

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2015
  12. cereberus Win User
    I understand this. It's just I have never seen any actual documents despite searching that actually say preinstalled oem windows 10 keys are done in same way as Windows 8.1.

Older oem Windows 7 used a generic key and a bios id, but if you wanted to clean install from a standard iso (rather than a recovery drive) you needed a unique coa key.

It make sense that preinstalled oem 10 works like 8.1 but I have never actually seen it written down anywhere.

I accept it is that way but like to actually read it myself.

cereberus, Dec 26, 2015
  13. Best way to Have a Clean Installation on a new Windows 10 tablet

I might add, after all is said and done, it didn't even ask me for a Product Key. It activated on it's own and shows the generic OEM key just as it did before. No entry needed on my part. (I clean installed using November Update 1511).

bbeelzebub, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Best way to Have a Clean Installation on a new Windows 10 tablet - Similar Threads - Best Clean Installation

2. What is the best way to re-install Windows 10 clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best way to re-install Windows 10 clean install?: Is there a difference between re-installing Windows 10 from a USB flash drive where the .ISO is stored, and re-installing Windows 10 from the settings, "Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Get started" using the Cloud download option?People in IT forums keep telling...
  3. What is the best way to re-install Windows 10 clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best way to re-install Windows 10 clean install?: Is there a difference between re-installing Windows 10 from a USB flash drive where the .ISO is stored, and re-installing Windows 10 from the settings, "Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Get started" using the Cloud download option?People in IT forums keep telling...
  4. What is the best way to re-install Windows 10 clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Best way to perform a clean installation...

Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  6. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  7. Best way to partition a clean install?

Best way to partition a clean install?: I'm likely to want to do a complete clean install, perish the thought. Or maybe I'll get a new computer. This one was fast and loaded, but it's about 6 years old now. Same considerations will apply in both cases I think. I just ran Macrium to backup Win, and find the...
  8. Best way to maybe do a clean install of windows 10

Best way to maybe do a clean install of windows 10: Hello guys and gals, with the new year approaching, i was wondering if it would be a good time to do a clean install of Windows 10, I do have a few small irritating issues with my current main machine, i don't know if it is due to the recent fall upgrade or not, I do have...
  9. Best Way of Duplicating Tablet Setup onto New Tablets?

Best Way of Duplicating Tablet Setup onto New Tablets?: Hi! I've written a Windows mobile app for some internal users (runs on a Win10 64bit rugged tablet). They are very picky about settings/app so I'd like to automate the process in a way where I configure one master tablet and somehow capture as much of it as possible (don't...
  10. Best way to clean install windows 10

Best way to clean install windows 10: Yes, I've read many articles, but what do you think is the best way? 57389