Windows 10: Best Way to Install Office 2016?

Discus and support Best Way to Install Office 2016? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I currently have a licence for Office 2010 for 3 PCs installed on 3 PCs. I want to retire Office 2010 on my main desktop PC and use Office 2016... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Steve C, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Best Way to Install Office 2016?

I currently have a licence for Office 2010 for 3 PCs installed on 3 PCs.

I want to retire Office 2010 on my main desktop PC and use Office 2016 instead for which I've bough a cheap single PC licence. I then want to use the spare Office 2010 licence on a fourth PC (but only 3 will be using Office 2010).

What's the best way to install Office 2016 to keep all of my email settings? I'm assuming I should install Office 2016 in parallel with Office 2010 so the new Office 2016 installation picks up my email settings, then uninstall Office 2010 to free up 1 licence. Is this correct or is there a better way?

:)

Steve C, Nov 1, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Nov 1, 2017
  3. The Best way to install Unbuntu?

I'm developing a game for Windows PC, and I'm currently working on a port for Linux and I need to test it. I have ubuntu but trying to use it has been a nightmare. The OS doesn't run well in a VM (and I can run VMs, btw), and trying to install it on a dual-boot system
    has proven problematic. I need to use Ubuntu to test the game, but I can't get Linux to run.

I was thinking of using the Linux Subsystem, but that's command-based and I need a GUI.

Can anyone help me?

PatrickBlakeMason, Nov 1, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

AFAIK.....you can only have one Office suite installed on a single PC at a time. You must uninstall any office before you install another.

Plankton, Nov 1, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Does that mean I will lose all of my email account settings and have the pain and grief of reentering them?

Steve C, Nov 1, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
  7. lx07 Win User
    Office 2010 Home and Student came with 3 PC licence (mine did anyway).

lx07, Nov 1, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Yes...that means you can install 2010 on 3 different PC's...understood that. But OP wants to install office 2010 and 2016 on the same PC which you can not do.

From OP 2nd paragraph........and that doesn't work.

Note: a synonym for parallel is simultaneous

Plankton, Nov 1, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    Actually, I just tried installing Office 2016 on my laptop without activating it whilst Office 2010 was installed. Office 2016 did install but Outlook 2010 was screwed up. I uninstalled Office 2016 from the laptop (never activated it) and had to do a repair install on Office 2010 to get it working again.

It seems I'll have to use the info in post 4 to copy configuration details, uninstall Office 2010 then install Office 2016. Microsoft could make the migration much easier!

Steve C, Nov 1, 2017
  10. Rocky Win User
    All of my Microsoft Outlook settings are stored in the cloud.

Rocky, Nov 2, 2017
  11. sygnus21 Win User
    This would be incorrect. It actually depends on the package you purchase. Office 2016 (aka Office 365) can be installed on 1 to 4 PC's depending on which package you purchase. I'm running Office 365 (University subscription) which gives me a 4 year subscription and installation for 2 PC's and 2 smartphones - Office 365 University

Other options - Compare All Microsoft Office Products | Microsoft Office

sygnus21, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Best Way to Install Office 2016? - Similar Threads - Best Install Office

2. Best way to migrate install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to migrate install?: Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7. Few questions: First question is just...
  3. Best way to STOP Updates for 32 bit OFFICE on 64 bit Install!!!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best way to STOP Updates for 32 bit OFFICE on 64 bit Install!!!!!!!!!: I do not know how or why this happened on my wifes system as it has been OK for months. We have 64 bit Win 10 Pro and 64 bit Office 2016 Pro. Updates are OK. All of a sudden, yesterday she started getting updates for her 64 bit Office 2016 Pro AND 32 bit Office 2010. I...
  4. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...
  5. Office 2016 - Custom Install

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 - Custom Install: I have used various Office product throughout the years and on install had the opportunity to "Custom Install" which allowed all types of changes from programme file locations to programmes to be loaded. My (detachable) laptop has a limited hard-drive size, and I would like...
  6. Office 2016 Installation Failed

Office 2016 Installation Failed: So I was trying to install Office 2016 Pro Plus (Volume licence) and every time I try it just ends up with Microsoft Office encountered an error during setup. This is incredibly frustrating and I have no idea why it's happening (since it doesn't display any specific error...
  7. Error installing Office 2016

Error installing Office 2016: HELP!!! I always get an error before the installer finish its installation. In my Previous OS(Windows 7 Ultimate), Office 2016 works fine. Few weeks after Installing Windows 10, something went wrong and everytime I open Word it asks to repair it. I already tried repairing...
  8. Best way to partition a clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to partition a clean install?: I'm likely to want to do a complete clean install, perish the thought. Or maybe I'll get a new computer. This one was fast and loaded, but it's about 6 years old now. Same considerations will apply in both cases I think. I just ran Macrium to backup Win, and find the...
  9. Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install: I think we've got a corrupt Win10 install here. A new Seagate drive had bad sectors maybe. Had all sorts of problems. So I reckon a reinstall or something. What would be the recommended way of going about this? 81415
  10. Best of Build 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Best of Build 2016: This year’s //build/ is focused on the many things you can do with Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps. You can deploy to more devices than ever before, from the Xbox to the HoloLens. You can even turn your Xbox One into a dev machine. You also have enhanced versions of...