Windows 10: Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

Discus and support Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Title really says it all. I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL> The computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rangervegas, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

Title really says it all.

I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL>

The computer has a 1st or 2nd generation SATA 300GB HDD and the bundle package I ordered came with a brand new 1TB SATA HDD.

Aside from putting in the new components and taking care of making sure the licensing issues are resolved before I do any HDD migration; I am looking for opinions on what would be the best way to move the Win10 installation from the older slower HDD to the newer one?

Looking around on the web opinions vary between using some program someone wants you to pay for to mirror image the drive, to installing Win10 fresh on the new drive and then telling Windows to migrate everything over, to simply setting up the new drive as a system drive and copying all the files and folders from the old to the new.

Anyone have a good opinion on this?

Thank You

:)

rangervegas, Dec 14, 2016
  2. Alphagrey Win User

Migrate users from Windows 7 to clean Windows 10 install

I have Windows 7 running on a (Mechanical spinning hard drive) HDD, and I want to upgrade to Windows 10 running on a (SolidStateDrive) SSD. I plan is to perform a clean install of Windows 10 on my new SSD. Which leads me to my question, what is the best
    way to migrate my user accounts and data from Win7 to Win10?

Thanks for helping me out!

Alphagrey, Dec 14, 2016
  3. Migrating WIndows 10 to an SSD painlessly?

I wanted to upgrade to Win10 today, and concurrently load the operating system onto a newly installed SSD. The upgrade never gave me the chance to transfer to a new hard drive, and so I have consequently spent many hours watching the Win10 load itself where
    I did not want it, onto my old HDD.

History - I had early tried to install Win10 with the media creation tool on a USB drive. Unfortunately my bios could not be changed to read the USB during boot up.

So I am now faced with migrating Win10 from the HDD to the new SSD. I understand that it cannot be simply moved, and would require a fresh installation onto the SSD.

However I do not want to do a clean installation where all my files and programs will have to be reloaded, I have already spent enough time on this. I don't want to start to mirror my C: drive onto the SSD either which sounds just as painful.

Could someone please advise the fastest way to do this? For example, could I burn the media creation tool to DVD which my bios will boot up from, and use that to load Win10 onto the SSD? I could disconnect the C: drive to ensure there is no interference.

How would I then remove the Win10 on the C: HDD? Would I need to deactivate it first before it loads onto the SSD?

Why don't microsoft have a specific set of instructions for migrating to an SSD? This must me an issue for thousands.

Andrew Dyrda, Dec 14, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

Neemobeer, Dec 14, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Clean install if you want a totally fresh install.

Clone current install to new drive if you want an exact copy of current drive. Use Macrium Reflect Free to do the cloning.

cereberus, Dec 14, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep - Macrium Reflect Free which is....well....Free.

Make sure the old computer is logged into with a Microsoft Account to link the digital entitlement for Windows 10 to the Microsoft Account so you can run the activation troubleshooter when you transfer it to the new computer.

NavyLCDR, Dec 14, 2016
  7. Samuria Win User
    With so much change chances are it wont activate and may not even boot if the hardware is a lot different

Samuria, Dec 14, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Sure it will. Windows 10 is the most tolerant OS to moving to a new computer than any other OS. The first screen on booting on the new computer will hang for a few minutes with the message installing new devices and then load from there.

As far as a activation, Microsoft has made specific provisions for moving the digital license via a Microsoft account.

NavyLCDR, Dec 14, 2016
  9. Whatphoeb Win User
    The easiest way to move your system partition to new HDD is by using the tool EaseUS Todo Backup. Just download the software, and you’re almost ready. Also, it is recommended to perform a defrag of your system hard drive.

Whatphoeb, Dec 14, 2016
  10. Thanks for the recommendations guys. Yea I already got Windows to reactivate itself after the hardware changes. Had to kind of dig into the activation apps a bit but once I did I just had to tell it this was the same machine still with hardware updates. I will give the Macrium Reflect program a try.

Thanks

rangervegas, Dec 25, 2016
  11. AddRAM Win User
    And now you can clean install Windows 10 on the new equipment *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD - Similar Threads - Best migrate Win10

2. What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?: I just got a NVMe drive and reinstalled Windows 10. I want to copy all my settings from my old drive which I was only using for a few months. Can I copy my entire user profile or something? Thanks for any ideas! submitted by /u/zWeApOnz [link] [comments]...
  3. Best way to migrate install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to migrate install?: Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7. Few questions: First question is just...
  4. How to migrate to a new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to migrate to a new HDD: My HP Envy 23 all in one 10 pt touch screen began giving me the ol Smart drive detects imminent HDD Failure. So I got a new 1 TB drive and everything is backed up on another external drive. How do I migrate to a new drive all my windows account settings? If I use the...
  5. Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system

Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system: I've searched for a solution with little luck. We have an older PC on which my daughter has an account, content and preferences. I'm passing on my system and plan to install Windows 10 clean, then want to migrate her account to the computer. I've found some paid solutions,...
  6. Migrating HDD to New PC

Migrating HDD to New PC: Hello all, I will be building a new PC to replace my current one soon. I intend to remove the HDD from my current PC, which has Windows 10 OS on it, and place it in my new build. Once there I would like to clone it onto an SSD and use that in the future for the boot drive....
  7. Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive: Hi, I have a Win 8.1 and I do not want to upgrade to Win 10, first concernes are about the lak of all Drivers (Sound, LAN,WLAN,BT). Before the Free Upgrade ends I thought to do a Image of my Win 8.1 Partition, upgrade it and see how it goes. Now, my HDD is 1TB, there are...
  8. Best Way to Build A New Win10 Machine.

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way to Build A New Win10 Machine.: I have this Gigabyte B75M-D3V board and an i3 cpu. And a new Seagate 1T hard drive. The drive is totally new. Hasn't been formatted or anything at all. What's the best way for me to get from here to a working Win10 system? I can't connect it to the internet right...
  9. What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD: I am having various issues/and Event errors that I'm trying to clean up. They include BITS and Perflib errors and Malwarebytes is not automatically or manually updating, requiring me to reinstall about every other day. The biggest issue is that, when I log out, the system...
  10. A few questions - Win10 migrating to new system and HDD cloning

in Windows 10 Support
    A few questions - Win10 migrating to new system and HDD cloning: Hi all...this will be a bit of a novel, so I apologize. I have done clones and migrations with Windows 7 in the past, but never with Win10, so I was looking for some info and pointers. Now, I know licensing works differently with Win10 and am worried for my brother's...