Windows 10: Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive

Discus and support Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Something I need to do from time to time is transfer user data from an old Windows computer. I usually put the old hard drive in a USB enclosure,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Victek, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Victek Win User

Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive

Something I need to do from time to time is transfer user data from an old Windows computer. I usually put the old hard drive in a USB enclosure, navigate to the user profile folder properties/security tab/Advanced/, add the admin user on the new PC, give "full control" to "this folder, sub-folders and files" and then wait. This works fine, but often takes a long time because the OS has to change permissions on AppData folders. Since I have no need to access anything in AppData is there a way to avoid this and save time? I just want to get access to the Desktop, Pictures, Music, etc. Thanks for any help with this *Smile

:)

Victek, Apr 16, 2017

2. accessing photos

Are you running an Administrative account?

Install the
    Take Ownership Shortcut,

right click the External drive in File Explorer

to Take Ownership of all files on it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 16, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Access denied folder

Without knowing what folder you're talking about here's my best guess: If you formatted your portable drive with NTFS, the folders on it belong to the user account that created them. When you move the drive to a different computer, you're trying to access
    them with a different user account. FAT32 doesn't enforce ownership.

To access your folders on a different computer you have to take ownership of them from an account with Administrator permissions. That's not hard to do, but when you move the drive back to the original computer you'll have to take ownership back. Gets tedious
    after a while.

That's one of the reasons portable drives usually come formatted with FAT32.

BulldogXX, Apr 16, 2017
Thema:

Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive

1. Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive - Similar Threads - Best ownership user

2. External drive not seen - best way forward?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not seen - best way forward?: Hi I've had a few external USB drives die on me lately. One of them wasn't fully backed-up, so I'm looking for the best way to try and recover the data. The disk is a 5TB Seagate Backup-plus (2.5 inch) USB3-connected drive. The data on it isn't really all _that_ important (I...
  3. External drive not seen - best way forward?

in Windows 10 Support
    External drive not seen - best way forward?: Hi I've had a few external USB drives die on me lately. One of them wasn't fully backed-up, so I'm looking for the best way to try and recover the data. The disk is a 5TB Seagate Backup-plus (2.5 inch) USB3-connected drive. The data on it isn't really all _that_ important (I...
  4. Best way to add external storage

Best way to add external storage: I am looking forward to making a lot more video files. Since they are 50 times larger than document files I am considering ways to add external storage to my Windows 10 PCs. I am experimenting with two 2 TB external hard drives made by JMicron. After I attached them to USB...
  5. User forgot PIN - no way to reset, can't take ownership of NGC folder

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User forgot PIN - no way to reset, can't take ownership of NGC folder: As title suggests one of our users has forgotten their PIN and needs it to enrol a fingerprint. There is no 'reset PIN' option, presumably since it's a domain joined machine. This has happened to us many times before and my usual solution is to unlink their Microsoft...
  6. Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership: [ATTACH] Hi, I am at my wits end, this issue has been ongoing for the pas few days and I have stayed up quite late to try and fix this with the help of some Microsoft Technicians online. I would like to thank the few technicians who were willing to help me over their...
  7. take ownership of hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    take ownership of hard drive: Hi guys, I've been denied access on an external hard disk so I tried to take ownership but it won't let me do it. It says it is unable to set new owner as there is not enough space on the disk. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you...
  8. Best way to change folder ownership/permissions without admin account on Win10

Best way to change folder ownership/permissions without admin account on Win10: I have to break Windows 10 file/folder permissions as a part a university project. I found many different methods on the internet (for example this), but I was wondering which one is currently the beast/easiest one? I would prefer something non-invasive, without a risk of...
  9. How to "Take Ownership" but for Another User?

How to "Take Ownership" but for Another User?: Hello, I finally gave in after a year and a half of battling with my chronically freeze-inducing and corrupted start menu and have just finished reinstalling Windows 10 on my machine (I had already repeatedly tried every fix I could find: sfc /scannow, DISM /Online...
  10. Can't take ownership of external hard drive

Can't take ownership of external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied.. when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner. When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive,...