Windows 10: Best way to transfer files and programs between two Win 10 PCs?

Discus and support Best way to transfer files and programs between two Win 10 PCs? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just received a new Win 10 PC with a 500 Gb SSD for my primary drive (OS and programs) and an internal 1Tb conventional HDD for my data (library).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Louisaz, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Louisaz Win User

Best way to transfer files and programs between two Win 10 PCs?

I just received a new Win 10 PC with a 500 Gb SSD for my primary drive (OS and programs) and an internal 1Tb conventional HDD for my data (library).

I would like to transfer my programs and files from my existing Win 10 PC to my new PC. My existing PC has two conventional HDDs -- both are 500Mb. The C drive has everything and the E drive is a clone.

Both the new and old PCs are running Win 10 Pro x64.

What programs do you recommend? I do have Macrium Reflect that may do the job. I'll be checking with their excellent support this week.

Thanks,

Louis

:)

Louisaz, Dec 5, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Best way to transfer files and programs from old windows 10 computer to new windows10 computer

Why is it that people only want to know about the best way to do something? Nobody ever asks about the
    worst way.

I've done plenty of things on my computer in the worst way, which is how I learned what
    not to do. Besides, recovering from doing things the wrong way builds character. If nothing else, I am surely a character.

There are lots of easy ways to transfer files. Copy and paste using a USB drive. Backup and restore also works very well.

Transferring programs is a lot harder, because programs connect with the system partition and install registry entries which are not easily transferred. There is third party software that claims to do it (for a price) but the only way to guarantee success
    (and avoid license issues) is to reinstall the programs on your new computer.

BulldogXX, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Best way to transfer files and programs from old windows 10 computer to new windows10 computer

Best? Clean installation of the programs, copy the files so you end up with only what you really need on the new system and archive the rest to external media.

Easiest? Something like
    Laplink PCMover

In-between might be backing up the old system and restoring it onto the new system since they are the same OS.

Shenan Stanley, Dec 5, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2015
  5. Louisaz Win User
    I have the paid version. I think it's outstanding!

Louis

Louisaz, Dec 5, 2015
  6. Louisaz Win User
    Dear LCDR,

I've read the re-deploying article you cite. It looks promising. I've sent in a RFI to Macrium to get their advice.

It looks like there are several alternative routes to get the job done -- short of reinstalling a dozen programs.

Thanks for the advice.

Louis (1LT USA)

Louisaz, Dec 5, 2015
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    I would not trust a redeploy. Installing the programs will be safer. And transferring data files should be easy.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Why not? That's exactly what it is there for.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Although there is one concern - if you have programs that you purchased single computer licenses for, like Microsoft Office, it will be illegal to keep those installed on two computers at the same time - so you might have to pick and choose which of those types of licenses you keep installed on which computer - to stay legal.

I assume you are 1LT active duty? Your military computer network provider (Navy and Marine is NMCI) probably offers a Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP). You can purchase Microsoft Office for $11.00.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Another approach assuming you have installed Windows:

There are two programs you might like to consider designed specifically for this:
    Laplink PC Mover and Easeus ToDo PCTrans.
    I have successfully used the former to 'reinstall' 200+ programs from 1 PC to another several times from one Window edition to another, and from one instance of a Windows edition to another.

The latter is newer, and comes from a company with a strong reputation (disk imaging/backup software and partition manager e.g.)

Naturally this is not intended to allow you to install and run two licensed copies where this would be invalid, and many programs will be installed but not licensed when so transferred.

Exceptions: large programs (games?) and complex programs (AV/Firewall) should not be transferred.

Transfers are selective.

dalchina, Dec 5, 2015
  11. Louisaz Win User
    Dear LCDR,

I was a 1LT on active duty -- during the Vietnam era -- but that's another story. I certainly don't want to duplicate a single-use license program. I'm currently using numerous programs that may require re-installation (Windows Office 2010, Adobe Illustrator, Sketchup, etc.).

Louis

Louisaz, Dec 5, 2015
  12. Louisaz Win User
    I've been looking at Laplink PC Mover. It looks promising. What I'm having trouble learning is if it (and similar programs) will move programs between two Win 10 PCs. I would not run both PCs at the same time. I would use my old Win 10 PC as a backup and only use it if my new Win 10 PC is on the fritz.

Thanks for your advice.

Louis

Louisaz, Dec 5, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Thank you for your much more difficult service than mine has been.

Also, I would trust a program that moves the entire OS over and only resets the hardware info than a program that moves just the programs and data over. Windows 10 (since about Windows 95) has actually been designed to be redeployed. Most of the individual programs installed on that Windows 10 don't have that capability designed into them, to be moved from one Windows 10 OS to another without actually re-installing them.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2015
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, best to look at the site and see what they currently support in terms of the exact method. I can tell you what I did:
    My objective was to upgrade Windows on the same PC, starting with a clean install of Windows (same or later version- different instances). I therefore couldn't do this over a network or by connecting the two PCs with a transfer cable.

- 1. used the program to create a (very large) archive file from the source PC on an external disk
    - 2. swapped the hard drive, ran PC Mover, and used the archive file to 'install' the programs on the new build

It will work - same Windows version to same Windows version or - older Windows version to newer Windows version
    "PCmover is not designed for migrations from newer operating systems to older operating systems".

PCTrans (I've not used it yet) says:
    "Transfer applications & data via network connection or image file
    Transfer selected applications & data from one PC to another or from previous OS to new OS after Windows in-place upgrade."

(On a side note, interestingly PCTrans claims to transfer programs from a 32 bit to 64 bit build. Sometimes however one should consider- or need - a 64 bit version of a program. Not looked for a comment about PCMover on that- and probably not a relevant issue here)

dalchina, Dec 5, 2015
  15. Louisaz Win User
    Thanks for the information. Being able to selectively move a program from one PC to another -- in my case both Win 10 PCs -- would be perfect. I'll look into both PCTrans and PCMover.

Louis

Louisaz, Dec 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Best way to transfer files and programs between two Win 10 PCs? - Similar Threads - Best transfer files

2. Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?: I want to move files from my laptop to my desktop via wi-fi or Bluetooth. I have been using a USB thumb drive but thought I would try a different approach....
  3. Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?: I want to move files from my laptop to my desktop via wi-fi or Bluetooth. I have been using a USB thumb drive but thought I would try a different approach....
  4. Is there a way yet to seamlessly share resources and desktop between two pcs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way yet to seamlessly share resources and desktop between two pcs?: I'm in a position where I will be transitioning to working remotely, and I want to save desk space by utilizing my same monitors. I'm familiar with KVMs, and even a few virtual kvm software types, but I was wondering if theres a way to seamlessly share resources and desktop...
  5. Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop?: My laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) has been my work computer while I’m at college, but since covid broke out, my laptop’s battery failed and I’ve had to transition to using my desktop as my work computer. When I go back to school in the fall, I’ll be taking both my desktop and my...
  6. Trying to share files between two PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to share files between two PCs: I have two PCs running the latest Windows 10 software connected to the same network. I really need to be able to have the computers see each other so I can share files between the two. However, that doesn't seem to be the case and I always seem to have problems. For the sake...
  7. FAILED File transfer between PCs

FAILED File transfer between PCs: 1) Want to transfer files between PCs using ethernet (single owner/user, home LAN) 2) Absolutely delighted [not!] by ~ twenty-five (25) step 'simple' process required ... ARRGGGGH! 3) Survived hoop-jumping up to "enter credentials for PC access" (or some such $#%#^) 4)...
  8. LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs

LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs: I'm trying to transfer videos and photos from my old PC to the new but the transfer rate is very slow. I have a gigabit router and both PCs are wired. Sometimes it gets to around 900Mbps then drops down to 50Mbps or even zero. Both PCs are on Windows 10 Pro 1809. So far I...
  9. Transferring files between two windows 10 installations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring files between two windows 10 installations: So, i have a new HDD with Win 10 installed. What i'm wonderering is: Can i transfer files between my old HDD with win 10 (home) and my new HDD with win 10 (pro). I know that tranferring files between win 7 and 8 creates problems. But is that the case here too? 30908
  10. Problem when transfering files between two PCs via external hard disks

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem when transfering files between two PCs via external hard disks: Hello I am a having a strange problem when i transfer files between my 2 PCs via external hard disk. I am using the word "strange" because for example : 1)I save some files from PC 1 to the external hard disk. 2) After saving the files i run chkdsk for both the...