Windows 10: Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?

Discus and support Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on my laptop however I want to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new 250gb SSD that I've just bought. What would be the best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TomJ93, Aug 1, 2015.

1. TomJ93 Win User

Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on my laptop however I want to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new 250gb SSD that I've just bought. What would be the best way to do this?

Would I need to backup all my data, create a Windows 8 bootable USB, install Windows 8 on the SSD, put all my data onto this hard drive and then go through the Windows 10 upgrade process or is there a simpler way?

Thanks,

Tom

:)

TomJ93, Aug 1, 2015
  2. ACHL1 Win User

Best way to get Windows 10 set up on new motherboard

So recently my motherboard failed and I can no longer bootup my computer. As a result, I can't make a USB recovery drive. I assume plugging in my current SSD with Windows 10 installed into a new mobo/processor/ram won't work. Is there an easy way to reinstall
    Windows 10 using my currently existing drive? I'm not sure if I digitally linked my current licence with my Windows account so that may not be an option.

Thanks!

ACHL1, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Kamka Win User
    best way to transfer all data to a new model phone?

Try the Switch wizard on the N95.

Switch guide is available
    here

Kamka, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?

Sounds like you already figured it out.
    There's no 'easy' way to do what you want to do.

Create a disc image of your HDD as a back up,
    then install 8.1 to the new SSD drive,
    make sure it's 'activated',
    upgrade to Windows 10,
    (Choose the option to keep your programs and settings even though there won't be too much in the way of options and settings to keep!)
    make sure it's 'activated',
    then format and clean install to Windows 10,
    it will activate automatically,
    then reinstall your programs and files.

Simple, eh?

teachermark, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Hi I did an upgrade Windows 7 to free Windows 10, registered and the used a app to show my installed product code for the newly installed Windows 10 .
    Burnt iso Windows 10 to bvb. Installed a fresh w10 on a new drive keeping all my old stuff intact on the old drive, when installing it asked for the product code which I had and it works find so far.

GrahamSmith60, Aug 1, 2015
  6. TomJ93 Win User
    Thanks for the help. So you'd recommend doing a clean install of Windows 10 rather than transferring all the data back onto Windows 8.1 and then doing an upgrade with files and settings?

Thanks,

Tom

TomJ93, Aug 1, 2015
  7. otisdog Win User
    It's VERY important that you upgrade your 8.1 before you ever do a clean install. This is because the upgrade is what will attach your existing license to Windows 10. If you miss this you will not get activated on a clean install.
    I would do the upgrade on your current hard drive then you can do a clean install on the SSD.
    Jim

otisdog, Aug 1, 2015
  8. TomJ93 Win User

So if I upgraded on my existing hard drive, how would I do a clean install on the SSD?

TomJ93, Aug 1, 2015
  9. That's not what I would do.
    (I'm NOT saying that it won't work, but it might not.)
    Every change of hardware (and the HDD / SSD is a significant piece of hardware) will lessen the chances of you being able to have your new Windows authenticated and activated.

If you have a licensed copy of Windows 8.1 then wait for your new drive, install it on that and follow my instructions above...

It's best to be sure.

teachermark, Aug 1, 2015
  10. TomJ93 Win User
    Okay thanks, I'll be sure to follow your steps.

TomJ93, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD? - Similar Threads - Best upgrade SSD

2. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD: I have installed a new SSD in my desktop PC and don't want to mess up making the new SSD my boot up drive by doing the wrong thing, so what is the best way to install Win 10 onto my SSD so that it will work as my boot drive.I have installed Macrium Reflect free version. Do I...
  3. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD: I have installed a new SSD in my desktop PC and don't want to mess up making the new SSD my boot up drive by doing the wrong thing, so what is the best way to install Win 10 onto my SSD so that it will work as my boot drive.I have installed Macrium Reflect free version. Do I...
  4. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Best Way To Upgrade To Windows 11From Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Way To Upgrade To Windows 11From Windows 10: Hi everyoneI have a 2019 Dell PC..my PC is compatible with the windows 11 upgrade but I check everyday under system updates and it just does not appear yet. I did download the windows 11 upgrade assistant but have not used it yetHave read some issues with it by some folks...
  6. Best Way To Completely Reset Windows 10/SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best Way To Completely Reset Windows 10/SSD?: I want to completely wipe my SSD and get a fresh install of Windows 10. What’s the best way to do this, not including the built in “Reset PC” function in Windows 10? submitted by /u/PhilipJFrAye [link] [comments]...
  7. Best free way to move Windows 10 to new SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best free way to move Windows 10 to new SSD?: Hi I just received a new laptop however it has a m.2 SATA SSD. Could anyone recommend the best and free way to transfer Windows 10 to my new SSD? The new laptop has two m.2 slots as well. submitted by /u/bozua [link] [comments]...
  8. Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer

Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer: Hi all, I hope you can help me....my mom is in need of a new laptop. Her existing laptop, a Dell Precision m6500, is giving up the ghost, I think the system board or video card is bad, it just shuts down with no notice intermittently, even with nothing being done on the...
  9. Best way to upgrade to Windows 10

Best way to upgrade to Windows 10: Hiya...I am new to 10 come over from 7 forums *Smile I am from UK and run my own very small online business so my laptop is my life lol. I am soo panicking about what to do as I know I must upgrade to Windows 10 and have left is as late as possible...am currently...
  10. Best way to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and move system to a SSD

Best way to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and move system to a SSD: I have a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with Win 8.1 Home installed, 1 TB hdd. I want to update to Windows 10 I have a 120GB SSD that I would like to use for the system So seeking general guidance and the order in which things should be done. Are there updates to 8.1 and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. best way to upgrade to an ssd windows 10