Windows 10: Best Windows Update settings for Creators Update?

Discus and support Best Windows Update settings for Creators Update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just finished upgrading to the Creators Update, and would like to know the best Windows Update settings. I don't want any unexpected restarts, and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hbenthow, Jul 31, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Best Windows Update settings for Creators Update?

I just finished upgrading to the Creators Update, and would like to know the best Windows Update settings. I don't want any unexpected restarts, and I would like the option of being asked before installing each update, so I can properly prepare, rather than risk Windows automatically installing it at an inopportune time.

In the last version of Windows that I had (the Anniversary Update), I used the following trick recommended to me by a member of this forum:

It worked very well, and Windows always gave me the option to perform updates, rather than automatically downloading them.

However, I do not know whether it is safe to use this method in the Creators Update. Also, even if it is safe, I don't know whether it's my best best option, or whether the Creators Update now provides a better one.

Currently, Windows Update on my computer looks like this (due to the settings caused by the Creators Update):

Best Windows Update settings for Creators Update? [​IMG]

What would you recommend that I do? Also, what is that message about settings being hidden by my organization about? I have no organization.

:)

hbenthow, Jul 31, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2017
  3. Creators Update is not offered after installing UPX Kb4013214

Hello,

If Windows Creators Update still does not appear after installing the KB4013214, the best solution is to download the Creators Update manually.

We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps created by John Ado on this

Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Raymond Ave, Jul 31, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

I won't speak much to the update settings change for "notify only" but I will speak to the red text that reads "*Some settings..." These days, the notify only method is no longer explicitly available through Settings but through Group Policy. Another workaround is to set your home connection as metered in which case WU won't update automatically (you'll have to check for updates manually, because it won't notify you of pending updates, either -- but if you're a regular here at TenForums, you'll be notified in the News forum every time a new update shows up anyway). As for "*Some Settings..." that means some kind of policy tweak or change has been applied to your PC, and causes that message to appear. Making this go away turns out to be more trouble than it's worth: I've had it on my production PC since 1507 and I've yet to be able to clear it up since (along with lots of other people, if you search out the many threads devoted to that topic here).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 31, 2017
  5. hbenthow Win User
    It was that way during the Anniversary Update as well. The method that I quoted in my OP uses a program that edits the group policy and other settings, and it worked perfectly in the Anniversary Update. However, I do now know whether it's advisable to use it with the Creators Update.

I don't want to do that. I like to be notified when updates are available.

hbenthow, Jul 31, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Why do you think it's any more or less significant an issue than with previous builds of Windows 10? Or would be when the Autumn/Fall upgrade is released?

dalchina, Jul 31, 2017
  7. hbenthow Win User
    Because some settings and features are different in the Creators Update, and I don't know whether any of them would have an impact on this particular issue.

Also, I was wondering about the relative merits of the built-in settings available in the Creators Update, such as the one that was automatically selected by my system during the update (which you can see in the picture that I posted in the OP).

hbenthow, Aug 1, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

If you search the forum for
    * Some settings
    including the *, you will find a few relevant threads and if I recall one specific solution. It has been found that this can occur by default on certain edition of Windows (Education) if I recall- see alphahumeric's posts on this.

The message including a * only occurs for some with the Creator's build.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2017
  9. hbenthow Win User
    I'll have to look into that.

What would you recommend regarding update settings? Would you recommend using the same Winaero fix as before, leaving the setting as it is now, or something else?

hbenthow, Aug 1, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Well, as you can see from my specs, I'm still on the Anniversary edition. I prefer control of updates - usual reasons -
    - no interruption
    - no unexpected restarts

and the ability to update my disk image before updating if I choose.

I've recently discovered that in the group policy editor there's also a period you can set (180 days in my case, 365 in the case of the Creator's build if I recall).

So I'd expect to set
    Defer feature upgrades
    The time period
    Notify before download

as before. (See attached)

What Does “Defer Upgrades” in Windows 10 Mean?

dalchina, Aug 1, 2017
  11. hbenthow Win User
    In the Creators Update, that setting is also available in the Settings app itself (with no need to use the Group Policy Editor). I have now set mine to 180 days (although it allows up to 365).

Regarding the general download/notification setting, I tried setting it to "notify only" with Winaero, but it still says, "We'll ask you to download updates, except when updates are required to keep Windows running smoothly. In that case, we'll automatically download those updates". I guess that's the closest to a "notify only" setting that can be achieved in the Creators Update.

hbenthow, Aug 1, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    The text you are seeing sounds more like what you get if your connection is set as metered.

You can check if you've successfully set notify only thus:

Using Winaero's tweaker is a combination of using Check for Updates AND the button on the tweaker.

For interest

dalchina, Aug 1, 2017
  13. hbenthow Win User

I checked, and my connection is not set to metered.
    Interestingly, that setting was set to disabled when I checked. I set it to enabled, and selected option 2. However, option 2 is no longer "notify for download and notify for install". No such setting exists in the Creators Update. It is now "notify for download and auto install".

You can see here:

I tried making the change that I mentioned above in the group policy editor, then trying Winaero again. It made no difference. It still says, "We'll ask you to download updates, except when updates are required to keep Windows running smoothly. In that case, we'll automatically download those updates".
    This is apparently the only version of "notify only" available in the Creators Update.

hbenthow, Aug 1, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    I wonder then if in the Creator's update, MS has reserved the right to override both the metered connection trick and the notify option.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2017
  15. hbenthow Win User
    With my current settings, it is my understanding that I should presumably still be notified to download updates, rather than having them download automatically without my knowledge, but will have no control over how they install after they are downloaded. Is this correct?

hbenthow, Aug 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Best Windows Update settings for Creators Update? - Similar Threads - Best Update settings

2. Windows creator update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows creator update: Hello, I have been having really big issues (fps drops and freezing) since the windows fall creators update. It has been more than a year and there is no fix for that yet. I would like to ask, if Microsoft does care about their costumers, because I am more than very sure,...
  3. Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creator's Update: What is Creator's Update? And How can I get that? Are Insider Program and Creator's Update Same https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creators-update/1d440c83-6041-478b-9874-b651a8224bd1
  4. Corrupt user profile Creators Update, best course of action?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Corrupt user profile Creators Update, best course of action?: I have strong reasons to believe my user profile is corrupted following a manual upgrade to the Creators Update version 1703, with missing icons and other weird program behavior. I'm unsure what might be the best thing to do, I could try to move my existing data to a new...
  5. Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creators Update: I don't particularly want to do a manual download but am I the only one that hasn't received the Creator's Update yet? I also read somewhere that certain applications running on a computer might stop the update from downloading. 89939
  6. creator update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    creator update: It appears that the creator update has me in its crosshairs. From what little I could find out the only thing I am interested in is the improved edge. Can all the other features be uninstalled or at least ignored. 86852
  7. Creators Update and Networking settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creators Update and Networking settings: I have a client who's point of sale software runs on Windows 10 Pro, and yes I know they should be using Windows Server but that changeover isn't going to be happening for a while. When this machine had the anniversary update installed last year, it reset all the networking...
  8. creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    creators update: I was wondering if anyone is having trouble with the creators update? I installed it on a desktop and laptop. The laptop seems ok with it. The desktop appeared ok at first, but after a couple of days things started happening. Keyboard would freeze, chrome with bing started...
  9. What makes Windows 10 Creators Update the best version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What makes Windows 10 Creators Update the best version of Windows 10: What makes Windows 10 Creators Update the best version of Windows 10 ever?Quality. Our dedicated focus on customer obsession – listening and responding to user and partner feedback – are key to the quality improvements in Windows 10. The top areas we consistently hear about...
  10. Windows 10 Creators Update advances security & best-in-class IT Tools

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Creators Update advances security & best-in-class IT Tools: The Windows 10 Creators Update will continue to bring new security capabilities to IT administrators to better protect, defend and respond to threats on their networks and devices. A few weeks ago, we announced new features coming in the Windows 10 Creators Update bringing...