Windows 10: Beta install similar way to OS X?

Discus and support Beta install similar way to OS X? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, Not sure if this is possible but will ask anyway The only machine I have is this laptop and I don't want to change anything on it, but want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by paulsalter, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Beta install similar way to OS X?

Hi All,

Not sure if this is possible but will ask anyway
    The only machine I have is this laptop and I don't want to change anything on it, but want to try the beta for win 9.
    This is how I did things when I beta tested OS X so wondering if the same can be done in windows

I connected an external HD (USB) to my MacBook and installed the Beta to this drive
    If I turn on the MacBook with this drive connected it asks which version I want to boot, beta or standard installed on internal HD
    If I turn on the MacBook without the drive connected it just boots straight into OS X from HD, it's just like the beta doesn't exist, no sign of it anywhere on internal drive

Can similar be done in windows, put Win 9 on an external drive and if the drive is connected it asks if I want my current Win 8 or Win 9, if the drive is not connected it just boots straight to 8 as it does now

Cheers

:)

paulsalter, Sep 25, 2014
  2. RCH3 Win User

after upgrade to windows 10 cannot uninstall Avira Browser Safety Beta

I have a similar problem however in reverse. I search using IE for the Avira Browser Safety beta add-on, ABS is not listed with the others Is ABS a plug-in? I am a member of the AVS beta team. Others on my team mention the mention a similar problem with
    IR 11 and Windows 10 64 bit OS.

( a quote from the moderator being)

"you have another
    browser installed so
    that the Launcher's
    possibly ABS chrome
    or Firefox has
    offered?"

This seems to suggest that ABS is unavailable to IE users. Firefox is a alternative browser for me and ABS works fine and is downloadable.

Thank You,

RCH

3. SR_N8 Win User
    Nokia N8 Japanese Language input.

Not sure if Japanese is available but try installing SWYPE frm BETA LABS and check if there is a Japanese dictionary there. I had similar problems with Russiana nd installing beta SWYPE and Russian dictionarry solved the problem.

SR_N8, Sep 25, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Beta install similar way to OS X?

I hope we can use VmWare to beta test Win9. When done all you/me would have to do is remove VmWare from our PC's.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Sep 25, 2014
  5. badrobot Win User
    I don't know if you can even boot up Windows from external USB hardrive. I think I tried once without a success. But assuming that the external drive is connected via eSATA, yes, your PC will scan and boot up the first bootable partition it will find. So, if the eSATA is not connected, it will boot up on the next bootable hard drive.

That's exactly what I do. I boot up from different hard drives (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X). I just pull out the hard drive I don't need and leave the one that I want to boot up with or simply turn of the hard drive power I installed at the back my PC.

Beta install similar way to OS X? [​IMG]

badrobot, Sep 27, 2014
  6. Thanks for the replies

I need to do some more checking, find the best way to do this

paulsalter, Sep 27, 2014
  7. CountMike New Member
  8. Beta install similar way to OS X?

That sounds like what I am trying to do

Off out for the day now so will have a full read through that tomorrow

Cheers

paulsalter, Sep 27, 2014
  9. badrobot Win User

That answers the OP's main question and verifies what I said that windows (Win 7/8) don't run on USB. Unless, a tedious workaround is made. I can 't imagine how frustrating the load up speeds would be.

"We confirmed that it still works on Windows 8.1"

Now, the big Q is if it will work with Windows 9.

badrobot, Sep 27, 2014
  10. mellaby Win User
    I'm kind of in the same place as you Paul. I have a spare USB drive I would love to try this. Any experts here with a answer?

mellaby, Sep 28, 2014
  11. badrobot Win User
    I want to assume that the spare USB drive is blank and not being used as data drive. Take the hard drive out and install it as secondary hard drive to test the OS.

badrobot, Sep 28, 2014
  12. Tews Win User
    This is not that hard folks. Download the TP (when it is released tomorrow). Fire up your favorite virtual manager software (i use VMware), and follow the instructions. You wont need a disk, just select the folder where your .iso is located, and your good to go... Enjoy! *Nerd

13. Golden Win User

Golden, Sep 30, 2014
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

You need the Enterprise edition at least to "strip" the boot command off or it won't work. !!! The method in the link will create a Windows to go (Enterprise) version on a "Non-certified" device though from a Windows Enterprise iso.

What you CAN do though is create a portable windows version using any decent Linux distro and VMware. If you've got a USB3 device or a spare SSD then the response time of the Windows VM is pretty good -- very useable -- and you don't have to touch ANYTHING on your existing HDD's so this should make a good system for testing Windows 10 preview without altering a SINGLE BYTE on your existing machines.

Here's a link to the procedure I did -- it's back on the W8 Forum - read carefully - especially if you have a UEFI enabled machine.

How to make Portable Windows system (any version)

Running Windows to go from an external SSD works just fine -- even when connected to a USB2 port via a SATA==>USB connector -- connected to a USB3 port it works BETTER than the built in standard HDD / non SSD on a laptop. !!!

I use the windows to go on a dedicated SSD device to get the SKY GO streaming TV service -- the SKY GO won't run from a VM -- something about Silverlight detects a VM and you have a limit of two computers so it won't tolerate a VM -- you could clone zillion of these !!!. My main machine runs a LINUX host so if I want SKY GO I do it that way rather than mess around with dual boot.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 30, 2014
  15. Thanks for the extra info

Going to wait about a week see how things work (getting the download is painful)

If all looks good and first reports of it are promising I might go for the download next week

paulsalter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Beta install similar way to OS X? - Similar Threads - Beta install similar

2. What is the best way to copy a lot of audiobook CDs to MP3 on Mac OS X Catalina?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best way to copy a lot of audiobook CDs to MP3 on Mac OS X Catalina?: I have a TON of audiobooks that I have collected via thrift stores and I was wondering what the best way to copy all of them over to my hard drive so I can listen to them on my iPhone? If possible, I would like to combine the 5+ CDs of a long audiobook into one file. Is...
  3. Ways to re-install Win 10 OS on a new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ways to re-install Win 10 OS on a new HDD: Hi Community Members. This is my first post here and I'm certain I'll get the answers to my query in this community. I'm currently on Win 10 Pro 64 bit OS on x64 based processor PC. I received Win 10 pro through upgrade program from Win 7 Ultimate edition. I recently...
  4. Xbox Beta will not install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox Beta will not install: I've recently moved my gaming onto the xbox beta for windows 10 and also have an active subscription for XGP. Originally the xbox beta software installed but game pass games would not install, staying on preparing indefinitely. I uninstalled the software and tried to...
  5. Is there a way to reset cloud settings on edge beta?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to reset cloud settings on edge beta?: Can I delete the cloud settings like I can on chrome? submitted by /u/pmc64 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dsakhw/is_there_a_way_to_reset_cloud_settings_on_edge/
  6. WINDOWS TO MAC OS X

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WINDOWS TO MAC OS X: How do I convert my desktop PC with Windows 10 to Mac os x? I am a Producer and Sound Engineer, so I work with music quite frequently. I prefer working on my projects and day to day work on OS X....
  7. How to customize Windows OS like Mac OS X?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to customize Windows OS like Mac OS X?: Hello I'm a Mac user who's moved to PC after decades of Mac use. I do 3D computer graphics. I still do office communication & office work on a Mac laptop and share files via Dropbox. I'd like to customize my PC with various add-ons, but I'm afraid to this without a better...
  8. Install Mac OS X

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Install Mac OS X: Hello everyone I would like to install Mac OS X in hyper-v (or any VM ) inside Windows 10 Any way to do that? If there is please show me how to do that. 93920
  9. How to load Apple OS X?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to load Apple OS X?: I would like to also run Apple's OS X operating system. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thank you for your help. 45512
  10. Bringing ChakraCore to Linux and OS X

in Windows 10 News
    Bringing ChakraCore to Linux and OS X: In January, we open-sourced ChakraCore, the core of the Chakra JavaScript engine that powers Microsoft Edge and Universal Windows Platform. We expressed our ambition to bring our best-in-class, but Windows-only, JavaScript engine to other platforms, with Linux as the...