Windows 10: better heatsink

Discus and support better heatsink in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; What would people out there on these forums recommend for a better heatsink/cpu fan for a i7 2600k processor. My temps are sometimes spiking too close... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Matt Siegel, Sep 21, 2015.

1. better heatsink

What would people out there on these forums recommend for a better heatsink/cpu fan for a i7 2600k processor. My temps are sometimes spiking too close to the danger level and it cant be the thermal paste as Ive already checked that and its fine. I cant really afford to spend big bucks on it either so any options would be good. Thanks Matt

:)

Matt Siegel, Sep 21, 2015

2. Can't play most of my games suddenly, please help.

I figured it out, the heatsink was not screwed on tight enough, considering how damn hard it was doing so, a portion of the gpu was not making contact with the heatsink and was even cooking the thermal paste, the sensor for temp was apparently in the part
    that was making contact, so fat lot of good that sensor was in telling what was wrong. I had to pull the casing of the water cooler off, exposing it's inside wires(pretty interesting to look at) just to get the screws in place, ridiculous. Was still difficult,
    and the casing didn't go back on quite the same due to the screws, but it was better than before. Everything runs fine now.

KevinWDunn, Sep 21, 2015
  3. mark ten Win User
    CPU is not Cooling

how to remove fan from heatsink

mark ten, Sep 21, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

better heatsink

Matt, unless you are doing some heavy overclocking, probably the best one for the money is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. There are better coolers, but they are more expensive. If you are doing normal stuff and/or only moderate overclocking, the Hyper 212 is hard to beat. Having said that, I don't know what you are using now.

essenbe, Sep 21, 2015
  5. Right now i am just using the stock heatsink that came with my processor which is a intel heatsink. also how do I know for sure the "pegs"(the ones that hold the fan over the heat sink/processor cover) are long enough to reach to the board?

Matt Siegel, Sep 22, 2015
  6. also I just looked on frys electronics site which has a store not too far from me and it looks like you actually have to put that fan and heat sink together? wth? I really dont want to have to spend time putting a unit together if i can help it. Also as for overclocking; I cant do that in windows 10 because the program/app I used under windows 7 to overclock and control my fans; well that isnt compatible with 10. so i would have to get a new system board in order to do that which i will have to do at some point anyway.

Matt Siegel, Sep 22, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    The stock heatsink is worthless. I have a box full of them that I refuse to use. Most 'enthusiasts' feel the same way. Look at the problems you are having. But, almost any third party heatsink will require some assembly and most will require a backplate that goes on the back of the motherboard. That is typical of any of them. It really isn't difficult, it just looks that way. But, it's something necessary if you want better CPU temps.

You should never use software to overclock. Learn about it and do the adjustments in BIOS. It is more difficult and time consuming, but you will get a much more stable and better overclock.

essenbe, Sep 22, 2015
  8. bobkn Win User

better heatsink

You're worrying about the wrong things.

Mounting the fan (or fans) on the heatsink is the easy part.

You may need a fairly good heatsink, because the I7-2600k is rated at 95W. (Could be worse, like 130W.)

You start by finding a heatsink that is compatible with your CPU socket type (LGA 1155).

For tower type heatsinks, the unit must be short enough to fit in your case. That may be an issue if you're using the 220 mm diameter side fan in the InWin Dragon Rider case. You can buy a low profile heatsink, but you'd probably be giving up some performance.

The bottom of the heatsink fins/fan must be high enough to clear the heat spreaders on your RAM, if the layout of the motherboard causes the heatsink to lie over the RAM. (The DIMM slots are usually right next to the CPU socket.)

As Steve recommended, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is supposed to be a good heatsink/fan for the money. I hope that it's not too tall for your case.

As Steve also pointed out, many good heatsinks require a backplate. Your InWin case has a cutout in its motherboard tray that should allow you to install the backplate without removing the motherboard from the case. (It's still easier with the MB out of the case.)

I hope that you find something that you like. I'm on my first all-in-one water cooler (Corsair H100i) on my primary system. Minimizes the clutter around the CPU socket, and doesn't cantilever a large mass off the motherboard, but it costs over $100US.

bobkn, Sep 22, 2015
  9. Well; I may very well take a look at the cooler master one. However before I spend any money on that part; I must get a new backup device as my current one bit the dust sad to say(yes i realize this is a whole other story but figured i would at least mention it).

Matt Siegel, Sep 23, 2015
  10. essenbe Win User
    BTW, if you get an ait type CPU cooler, make sure, as bobkn said, the height will fit in your case, but also make sure you have clearance for your ram. The AIO water coolers, neither of those issues are a problem.

essenbe, Sep 23, 2015
  11. Well; yea I will. from the looks of it though i dont believe space should be a issue as far as putting in a different fan and heat sink such as that cooler master as it looks like my case has plenty of room in it for it. Its simple though; if i decide to buy it at frys; which is really the only game in town when it comes to the selection etc of computer parts needed around here; and if it doesnt fit properly; then I can always return it and find one that does as they have a 30 day return policy on items such as those. I will just have to measure the dimensions of the intel fan and heat sink and go from there.

12. essenbe Win User
    I used to own that case. If you put the cooler Master Heatsink in, you will have to remove the side 200mm fan. It can be replaced with up to 6 120mm fans. So, removing it and using a couple of 120mm fans will work just as well.

essenbe, Sep 23, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

better heatsink

Agree with that, have one on mine works well, also put a second fan, push pull. Noctua makes some nice ones i have seen but expensive brand, but real quiet fans and good CFM's. For me i use Noctua for Case fans.

Decent price + $5.00 Mail in Rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-35103099-S0O

jds63, Sep 23, 2015
  14. Well like i said; I cant afford to spend a lot right now. and having to spend more $$$ that I just dont have right now is not a option. And exactly which fan(s) are you referring to would have to be removed? The huge one that is attached to the one side of the case or the other ones?

15. Matt Siegel, Sep 23, 2015
Thema:

better heatsink

1. better heatsink - Similar Threads - better heatsink

2. Windows 10 much better performance after failed load of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 much better performance after failed load of data: Hello guys,few days ago i arrived to my work as usuall and started PC. Everything went fine until Windows loaded my desktop. There were 80 % of icons missing. All of the programs i assume were able to start but after finding them on hard drives or Start menu, only few had...
  3. Windows 10 much better performance after failed load of data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 much better performance after failed load of data: Hello guys,few days ago i arrived to my work as usuall and started PC. Everything went fine until Windows loaded my desktop. There were 80 % of icons missing. All of the programs i assume were able to start but after finding them on hard drives or Start menu, only few had...
  4. Windows 10 much better performance after failed load of data

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Microsoft! YOU BETTER FIX THIS NOW!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft! YOU BETTER FIX THIS NOW!!!: Hello, I am running Windows 11 23H2 Home Insider Preview, and I am experiencing difficulties running Roblox, nothing opens.Is there any way to fix this without downgrading my operating system?If you are curious, here are my PC specifications below:...
  6. Microsoft! YOU BETTER FIX THIS NOW!!!

Microsoft! YOU BETTER FIX THIS NOW!!!: Hello, I am running Windows 11 23H2 Home Insider Preview, and I am experiencing difficulties running Roblox, nothing opens.Is there any way to fix this without downgrading my operating system?If you are curious, here are my PC specifications below:...
  7. What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?: I have this old Windows Xp era laptop and have Windows 7 installed but its really slow, so I was wondering if Windows Vista being older runs faster than 7....
  8. What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?: I have this old Windows Xp era laptop and have Windows 7 installed but its really slow, so I was wondering if Windows Vista being older runs faster than 7....
  9. What will happen if I press Yes to reset fTPM BitLocker. Image attached below for better...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What will happen if I press Yes to reset fTPM BitLocker. Image attached below for better...: Upon login to the MS account, the recovery key seems to be absent.I watched this video to understand but I don't see any screen to enter the BitLocker key blue screen at the start of the video.https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vfrs5k9nSk4Please suggest.Thank you...
  10. What will happen if I press Yes to reset fTPM BitLocker. Image attached below for better...

What will happen if I press Yes to reset fTPM BitLocker. Image attached below for better...: Upon login to the MS account, the recovery key seems to be absent.I watched this video to understand but I don't see any screen to enter the BitLocker key blue screen at the start of the video.https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vfrs5k9nSk4Please suggest.Thank you...