Windows 10: Beware of Fast Startup in multi-boot scenarios!

Discus and support Beware of Fast Startup in multi-boot scenarios! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This isn't really new advice, and it's in fact quite well known, but this should be a sticky in this forum: Do not, ever, have WinX's Fast Startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pirx, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Pirx Win User

Beware of Fast Startup in multi-boot scenarios!

This isn't really new advice, and it's in fact quite well known, but this should be a sticky in this forum:

Do not, ever, have WinX's Fast Startup option enabled if through whatever means you anticipate booting your system into an OS other than the one you just hibernated via a "shutdown" with Fast Startup enabled. This applies to multi-boot configurations with other operating systems as well as booting into various kinds of rescue environments and such via external media (USB stick, external HD, etc.). If for whatever reason you feel you absolutely need to boot into another OS environment of any kind while Windows 10 has been "shut down" with Fast Startup enabled, you must make sure the partitions that were in use when Windows 10 was running are not written to, ever.

The reason for this mandate is that Microsoft, as usual, has completely disregarded scenarios like the above. In this case it means that when you perform a "shutdown" with Fast Startup enabled, the system will save its state in the hibernation file, including all of its internal file system tables. Moreover, when you "boot" such a system, Windows will not check if any of the mounted file systems have been modified between the previous "shutdown" and the following startup. Thus it will not remount any of its file systems and instead will blithely continue under the assumption that nothing has changed.
    As a consequence, if any of the mounted file systems have been modified while Windows 10 was suspended, the OS will be unaware of these changes, which means your file system will be corrupted as soon as Windows 10 performs any write operations on such a system. Let me repeat this is a "will be", not a "may be": File system damage is guaranteed in these kinds of scenarios. Finally, in many cases the resulting damage cannot be repaired, and your only recourse is either restore from a complete system backup if you have one, or re-install from scratch.

You have been warned. Hope this helps someone.

:)

2. No startup sound in Windows 10

I have an SSD drive. My computer takes 8 seconds to boot when I untick Fast Start Up. It takes 12 seconds WITH Fast Start Up.

NO - THE STARTUP SOUND DOES NOT WORK in either scenario.

DennisLafontaine, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    Is there a way to keep Windows 10 from altering MBR on other drives in my sytem?

If the repair you got at restart was a Disk Check, this is common for WIndows 10 in multi-boots. Only if it becomes chronic do you need to take steps to troubleshoot turning off Fast Start but not necessarily the popular Hibernate feature.
    Even then it is symptomatic of other problems which need to be repaired and not caused merely by Fast Start.

I think in that you may be mistaken. The problem with Fast Startup has been known to the Linux community since Windows 8 came out. Having experienced it first hand, with catastrophic data loss on a perfectly good drive, I wouldn't suggest to anyone that
    it was worth taking the risk to leave Fast Startup activated. Any drive can become defective but as you said, Disk Checks are
    common in Windows 10 multi-boots. That's a fairly clear indication that the problem centers on the presence of Windows 10 in the boot mix. Further evidence implicating Fast Startup is that warm booting between OS's, which does not invoke Fast Startup
    functionality, also does not generate Disk Check errors. If other problems requiring repair
    were the actual cause of the Disk Check errors then those errors would continue to appear regardless of whether or not the computer is booted into a different OS. To put it another way, if
    other problems caused the Disk Check errors they wouldn't suddenly stop happening altogether after Fast Startup was disabled.

Ralf_G, Nov 10, 2017
  4. Beware of Fast Startup in multi-boot scenarios!

Hi,
    I believe it gets a little more interesting in 1709 current fall creators update
    MS did I noticed if landing back on the sign in page added a popup message saying restarting now you'll loose any work you were working on
    Sort of an annoying message to me seeing I had closed everything before choosing to restart
    Then chose to restart again because I missed the bios flash screen

So but yes it is well know fast start just makes recovery... more difficult especially if 10 is acting up boot wise it will just loop.....
    cmd as admin and powercfg -h off is about the only way to go I've found *Smile
    Plus to make my life really easier I use one of these to keep os's completely separate *Smile
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ThrashZone, Nov 10, 2017
  5. If MS is aware of this why do not they fix iit?

Josey Wales, Nov 10, 2017
  6. Pirx Win User
    They are aware of it; this behavior is by design. Microsoft doesn't care, that's all. You're not supposed to run more than one OS on one piece of hardware. That's how Microsoft feels, anyway. Otherwise it would have been trivial for them to check the volumes for changes, and remount them if necessary. Like I said, they don't give a rat's behind.

7. Fast Startup is overrated IMHO. It causes more issues than it fixes, IMHO. Not needed if your running an SSD anyway, again IMHO. It's one of the first things I disable/turn off.

alphanumeric, Nov 10, 2017
  8. essenbe Win User

*Ditto

essenbe, Nov 11, 2017
  9. It caused me a few headaches until I disabled it.

Tigeromega, Nov 11, 2017
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    Detecting changes to a file system while the OS is not running is not a simple thing. I doubt it could be done reliably. If possible at all it would take considerable time which would compromise the benefits of Fast Startup and Shutdown. Considering that most people don't dual boot it is reasonable to assume that no changes have occurred.

Maybe Microsoft should have a warning about this. But few people would read it and many would ignore it.

LMiller7, Nov 11, 2017
  11. Pirx Win User
    Huh? You would of course check the volumes during system initialization; all you need to do is check if the volume has seen any writes after the time of "shutdown". On an NTFS volume that's trivial to do and will only take microseconds, literally. All they need to do is do it...

12. Edwin New Member
    I've wondered about this often.
    So, I boot to Insider Preview on a spinner by default with Fast Startup turned off,
    I Shift/Restart to the SSD with FCU with Fast Startup enabled;
    don't know if it makes a difference but I see no side effects.

Edwin, Nov 11, 2017
  13. LMiller7 Win User

Details please. My statements came from experience as an amateur programmer.

LMiller7, Nov 11, 2017
  14. Well-known problem starting at Windows 8. "Fast Startup" is modified hibernation (without user session) so it leaves disk volumes/filesystems in Dirty Shutdown state (does not dismount them) after "shutdown". Much worse, FCU re-enables this "feature" without notifying users.

muchomurka, Nov 11, 2017
  15. Pirx Win User
    You access the USN change journal using functionality analogous to fsutil's USN journal query functions.
    See here for a brief overview of the architecture of Change Journal records on NTFS volumes. More details on how to work with Change Journal records are here.

Do you have experience with Windows systems-level programming if I may ask?

Thema:

1. Beware of Fast Startup in multi-boot scenarios! - Similar Threads - Beware Fast Startup

2. Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup: Why is my option to "Turn on fast startup" greyed out? [ATTACH] Pls Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup/4c05238b-43c2-4cc7-abff-f89aaf2795cd
  3. Fast Startup

Fast Startup: Okay so I figured out what's causing my computer to not fully shut down, and I'm cool with the whole fast startup feature but my problem with it is that I cant turn my computer back on when its in that mode, like I would have to hold the power button for it to fully shut...
  4. Fast Startup Preventing my PC from booting

Fast Startup Preventing my PC from booting: So i decided to disable fast startup on Windows 10 to save energy, but since i did, i started having problems when booting. when i try to turn on my computer it enters like an iddle state, all the fans and rgb lighting turns on, but it doesn't post or shows any sing of...
  5. Is Fast Boot/Startup good or bad for a HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Fast Boot/Startup good or bad for a HDD?: Why is it good or bad whether it's turned on or off? 146224
  6. Fast-startup and keyboard boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast-startup and keyboard boot: Normally I would use the sleep button or a shortcut(shutdown -s -t) to turn the desktop off. Lately though ive been using the Start button and shutting down and i've noticed that all it takes for me to turn on the computer is to hit any key. Now I know that Windows 10 uses...
  7. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: Hi, does anyone know how to enable fast startup without enabling hibernation windows 10? Thank you 18351
  8. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: I tend to leave windows 10 mostly at default settings. So I keep fast start up enabled on my desktop. I do have an SSD but it is convenient and shaves a few seconds of reboot i guess. However I want to know whether it relies on a power source? What I mean by this is, is my pc...
  9. Win10 Fast Startup Kernel Boot Errors

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Fast Startup Kernel Boot Errors: Hi everyone... I have received some critical kernel boot messages in Event Viewer after every start-up. Just a few pointers: - Fast Startup is Enabled - UEFI Fast Boot is enabled in BIOS These are the error messages: 1. Event ID 29: Windows failed fast startup...
  10. No fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    No fast startup: Hi i have looked in power settings and all i have is sleep and lock no fast startup box to tick i have looked in hiberboot enabled and it is set on (1) i do have 14393-222 build and i do not have any other problems with windows 10 just slow start up. Hp workstation 2tb hard...