Windows 10: Beware of some cheap USB 3 (not USB 2) thumdrives

Discus and support Beware of some cheap USB 3 (not USB 2) thumdrives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Yep, many cheap USB3.0 sticks are just marketing. In the end they have nothing to do with USB3.0 in any way. Speed is horrible, and compatibility even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by slicendice, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Beware of some cheap USB 3 (not USB 2) thumdrives

Yep, many cheap USB3.0 sticks are just marketing. In the end they have nothing to do with USB3.0 in any way. Speed is horrible, and compatibility even worse. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I have 2 older HP servers which have USB 3 ports as well as USB 2 ports but can only boot from the USB 2 ports. After OS is loaded then USB 3 ports work fine (that's the way these older HP servers work).

However if I put the USB 3 drive into a USB 2 port the server fails to see it on boot -- I needed to fix a configuration file on the server so I had a live OS on the usb drive.

the drive itself wasn't defective -- after I'd repaired the OS and booted normally the USB 3 drive was accessible via a USB 3 port.

With a standard USB 2 drive no problems -- so warning some USB 3 drives aren't necessarily compatible or will work (especially at boot time) in USB 2 ports.

I haven't had problems though with SSD's via SATA -->USB2 adapters or USB3 HDD's plugged into USB 2 ports (apart from the obvious loss in speed !!!). Seems just some models of thumb drives are fussy.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 11, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    will usb 2.0 support usb hub

Yes most modern USB hubs support USB 2.0 or even 3.0.

Beware of really cheap USB hubs, as they normally only support 1.0 - there are a lot of really nasty USB hubs and flash drives available on dodgy sites

Ask the vendor or check the information on the packaging as to the USB versions supported by the hub you are purchasing

DaveM121, Apr 11, 2018
  4. SteveG47 Win User

Beware of some cheap USB 3 (not USB 2) thumdrives

Keep the USB drive plugged in

2 possibilities: The connector or cable is not establishing a solid connection. Try another usb cable. The usb port is not supplying enough power. Buy a usb Y cable (they're cheap) and plug the extra usb plug into another usb port..

SteveG47, Apr 11, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    I have seen many USB2 drives pretending to be USB3, right number of connectors but either not having USB3 control chip or just not fast enough memory chip(s) to attain USB3 speeds. Those last ones can confuse the heck out of system by having too long time to respond.

CountMike, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

Beware of some cheap USB 3 (not USB 2) thumdrives

1. Beware of some cheap USB 3 (not USB 2) thumdrives - Similar Threads - Beware cheap USB

2. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  3. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  4. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  5. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

6. Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device: So i have a usb 3 hub that i use but if i connect a usb 2 device it will connect and disconnect repeatedly and disconnect it fully. Is there any way of fixing this?...
  7. Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device

Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device: So i have a usb 3 hub that i use but if i connect a usb 2 device it will connect and disconnect repeatedly and disconnect it fully. Is there any way of fixing this?...
  8. my usb 3 being detected as a usb 2

my usb 3 being detected as a usb 2: my usb is being detected as a usb 2 that's a usb 3 port and cable by the oculus app and usb tree and i don't know how to make it work as a usb 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-usb-3-being-detected-as-a-usb-2/711552c9-3958-44a2-9259-b38530ebfa4b
  9. USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted

USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted: Good afternoon everyone, I'm having an issue on my machine where when I boot the machine up the USB3 ports on the back are recognised and operate as USB2 at USB2 speeds. When I reboot the machine though, the USB ports are then recognised as USB3 and operate at USB 3...
  10. USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.

USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.: As per title. Windows 10 has already killed an older USB 2 flash drive, now the new USB 3 one only copies files at 20MBps. USB is seriously broken in Windows 10. 32587