Windows 10: Beware of some USB3 portable DVD writers / Blu Ray reader

Discus and support Beware of some USB3 portable DVD writers / Blu Ray reader in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there. Be careful of buying some of the newer USB 3 DVD writers (with Blu Ray reader / writer). These come with a USB3 cable for attaching to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Apr 6, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Beware of some USB3 portable DVD writers / Blu Ray reader

Hi there.

Be careful of buying some of the newer USB 3 DVD writers (with Blu Ray reader / writer).

These come with a USB3 cable for attaching to USB3 as standard and have a second power slot where you attach this into a USB2 slot to get the 5V power.

My Laptop that I mainly use doesn't seem to have enough power to drive the hardware even when the laptop is connected to the Mains.
    Attaching it to USB3 slot + USB 2 slot on my NAS it works perfectly -- so ensure your laptop can deliver enough power to the device.

I've since returned it as I wanted it for my laptop. BTW Amazon do actually seem excellent in taking returns etc -- no probs whatsoever in spite of a lot of criticism amazon gets these days (regards Tax etc etc).

Just a warning - some of these modern really light laptops and power efficient tablets / surface Pro etc etc might not deliver enough power for using these USB devices.

(I could have made it work with my own 5V power supply -- but the whole idea was NOT to carry all that junk around).

This is one area I think unless you specifically want Blu Ray where the OLDER technology works best -- a dropping to bits USB2 writer working fine even on the new laptop. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2016
  2. Rich GTR Win User

Wrong CD\DVD detected in Device Manager-Win 10

I had a cd\dvd reader-writer originally installed, I have since installed a Blu-ray reader-writer. If you go to device manager it still shows the original

writer model # , Not the new model# that I installed. What can I do to have it recognize the new writer that is in my system Now?

Rich GTR, Apr 6, 2016
  3. Is the TSST SE-506CB compatible with windows 10?

I just plug the USB samsung portable Blu-ray writer and it's not recogniced.

Where can I found the proper driver for this device?

SergioNavarro Cervera, Apr 6, 2016
  4. Beware of some USB3 portable DVD writers / Blu Ray reader

Are you sure you are using the right USB ports on your laptop? I would start to wonder if the laptop had an issue, because these drives are designed for use on laptops.

Checking on the power usage has always been the case with external drives, but it really shouldn't be an issue anymore.

DeaconFrost, Apr 6, 2016
Thema:

Beware of some USB3 portable DVD writers / Blu Ray reader

1. Beware of some USB3 portable DVD writers / Blu Ray reader - Similar Threads - Beware USB3 portable

2. Best Blu-Ray Burner and Reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best Blu-Ray Burner and Reader: Hello, Friends, Can anyone help me with any info on these blu-ray burners/readers. It seems that these are the top 3 latest blu-ray burners on the market. Pioneer BDR-212UBK Asus BW-16D1HT LG WH16NS60 None of them makes reading UHD 4k blu-rays easy, according to...
  3. Blu-ray DVD recording

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Blu-ray DVD recording: Do I need to format a Blu-ray DVD before recording data files into it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blu-ray-dvd-recording/db37d907-8e4e-46d4-ae78-298d42bdd706"
  4. LG UH12LS29 DVD burner Blu-ray reader not working in windows 10

LG UH12LS29 DVD burner Blu-ray reader not working in windows 10: My drive stopped working although it is recognized in bios and Device Manager. I've tried all the regedit tricks (upper filters, etc.). Previously the EnumDevice1 trick in regedit worked, but a week later the drive stopped working again. I've uninstalled the device,...
  5. LG Slim portable DVD Writer

LG Slim portable DVD Writer: I just received my new LG slim portable external DVD writer and cannot get it to work. I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I have inserted the DVD that came with it and it seems to be read and a few minutes later the writer opens and says insert DVD. I have done this but am...
  6. portable / external DVD drive / writer?

portable / external DVD drive / writer?: Most of them are ranged from 20 to 30 US dollars on Amazon. Are they practically the same quality build and the only difference is the writing speed /reading speed etc?And there is no critical difference? btw, which brand do you recommend? 119820
  7. External DVD reader/writer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External DVD reader/writer: After the last windows update, windows does not start any external DVD reader/writer, which always worked. Device manager gives code 19. Rolled back but problem persists. Drives work fine when connected to other desktop, laptop etc....
  8. External Blu-ray writer "Samsung SE-506CB" doesn't read Blu-rays with Windows 10

External Blu-ray writer "Samsung SE-506CB" doesn't read Blu-rays with Windows 10: Hello community! I recently switched from windows 7 to windows 10 (1803) and my Blu-ray drive stopped reading Blu-rays. I've tried it with several other PCs/laptops, it was always the same, it worked with windows 7 but not with windows 10. CDs and DVDs work on both systems...
  9. W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's: Hi there One thing about W10 - a lot of programs I had problems with in the past seem to work perfectly now. This one works brilliantly for example. I use MAKEMKV now for ripping DVD's (FREE) -- there is a fee though if you use Blu RAY's but you get 30 days free trial....
  10. DVD blu ray drive

DVD blu ray drive: 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW This is disgustingly slow when picking up CD,s dvds, and then asking me what I want to do with it. When I click on setup.exe for example, it takes about 30-40 seconds to 'wind up' and run. It must be the drivers. Its not win 10,...