Windows 10: BIOS and UEFI issue

Discus and support BIOS and UEFI issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a brand new Asus K555 laptop running core i5 5th gen. But though it is new, it seems to be running BIOS. It is old fashioned cursor less one.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alekhka, Jan 26, 2016.

1. alekhka Win User

BIOS and UEFI issue

I have a brand new Asus K555 laptop running core i5 5th gen. But though it is new, it seems to be running BIOS. It is old fashioned cursor less one. But it supports secure boot, GPT disk and it boots in CSM mode. So I think I can install UEFI. Please advise.
    Thank you

:)

alekhka, Jan 26, 2016
  2. Andrei V. Win User

"defaultuser0" created on clean install of Anniversary Update

It is actually a bad idea to install in UEFI and then change BIOS settings to legacy and vice-versa. If you decide to go with UEFI (which is a good idea), stay with it.

It is true that on older machines UEFI support has issues and it is better to go with legacy. But on newer machines UEFI is the best way to go (for boot security and performance).

If you set BIOS to UEFI and you cannot boot from the flash drive, then the flash drive was created incorrectly. Always go with the media tool offered by Microsoft when creating the bootable USB drive.

If the BIOS is set to UEFI but the install fails, there a 2 possibilities: either the boot media is faulty or UEFI support BIOS is problematic (very possible in older systems, when UEFI was in its early days). In this case, it is better to disable UEFI and
    install in legacy mode.

Andrei V., Jan 26, 2016
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    stuck on device driver error

Hi!

Your BIOS mode is set to UEFI. Your BIOS Version/Date is A01 2014. Dell should have an update for your bios. But changing the BIOS Mode to Legacy may help with the error.

To enter W10 boot option hold shift down while clicking restart. This is installed to UEFI chip by Windows. I do not use UEFI mode because of driver issues. So I do not know my way around W10 boot option.

To disable UEFI mode, fast start has to be disabled so you can enter the dell bios setup with F2 or Del.

Teddy2016, Jan 26, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

BIOS and UEFI issue

Never have run into "It is old fashioned cursor less one.", can't comment on that.

If it is using Secure Boot it most likely is UEFI. Since it is new it either is properly set up or you need to contact ASUS about getting it fixed.

Berton, Jan 26, 2016
  5. alekhka Win User
    I heard UEFI has mouse support. But mine doesn't. That's what I meant with 'cursor less'. It doesn't use secure boot as of now. Once I enable it CSM gets turned off and I can't boot into win10. So I have it disabled. The laptop had come with DOS. I installed win10 on my own and then converted my hard disk into MBR for another purpose. So now I can't install easyUEFI on my system though it can on older PCs. This is what is bothering me. Please help me.

Thank you very much

alekhka, Jan 26, 2016
  6. alekhka Win User
    Please excuse me, I'll upload after few hours as I am out now.

alekhka, Jan 26, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    UEFI Supports a Graphical UI with mouse, but it doesn't have to implement one. That's just an option, and depends on the OEM. It may also have a setting in the firmware to enable the UI mode.

Mystere, Jan 26, 2016
  8. alekhka Win User

BIOS and UEFI issue

So you think mine is UEFI? But I can't boot win10 without CSM. So I messed up while installing win10? EasyUEFI says it can't install in non UEFI OSes.
    Please help
    Thank you

alekhka, Jan 26, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Lots of bioses use a dos style text interface. You just navigate using cursor keys. You meant mouseless.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Windows 10 can run in bios or eufi mode.

Open up a command box with admin rights and run these two commands

diskpart

list disk

and post image of results.

Also check on system info page (control panel, system) and post image of that page as well.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  11. alekhka Win User
    Here are the screenshots

BIOS and UEFI issue [​IMG]

Thank you

alekhka, Jan 26, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    This confirms you have a legacy bios install. You need to do an EUFI install, assuming your PC is EUFI capable (most in last four years or so are). Given your pc is an i5, pretty sure it must be.

May need to change bios settings, and create new indtallation mefia).

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  13. alekhka Win User

BIOS and UEFI issue

Can you please give a link on how to do it? and should I flash a new UEFI firmware??
    Many older laptops i dealt with could install easyUEFI but not mine. Why?

Thanks

alekhka, Jan 26, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    Do not go there if pc does not support EUFI. If it does, juts make sure eufi (or csm) option is set, or it can read eufi usbs and decide itself.

You do not need to use tools like Easyeufi.

Simply download iso and use rufus to create a windows 10 eufi install (selecting gpt partition scheme on right).

How to create bootable Windows 10 USB flash drives for clean installs on legacy and UEFI PCs including Surface Pro 3 | TinkerTry IT @ Home

Tech Bench

Then boot from usb, select clean install and delete all existing partitions (back up any valuable data first).

If you only intend to run window 10 on this PC, not really worth changing to eufi anyway.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  15. alekhka Win User
    I am thinking of dual booting with Kali linux and want to have a beautiful bootloader (rEFInd). So all this ruccus. Is eufi=uefi??
    Do i need to format all partitions or only C drive?

alekhka, Jan 26, 2016
Thema:

BIOS and UEFI issue

1. BIOS and UEFI issue - Similar Threads - BIOS UEFI issue

2. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  3. UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?

in Windows 10 News
    UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?: [ATTACH]Is UEFI better or should you use BIOS? Anyone who is interested in understanding how their personal computers work will find this guide to be helpful. We explain the difference between BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) & UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in...
  4. BIOS MODE UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS MODE UEFI: MY PC DOES NOT SUPPORT BIOS MODE UEFI HOW TO SUPPORT THE UEFI IN MY PC INSPIRON 15 5558 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-mode-uefi/ac6086ce-66ea-4ac5-a024-1fecbf1aa88a
  5. Outdated BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Outdated BIOS to UEFI: Hi guys. So recently i was trying to figure out if how to boot into UEFI, but sadly there was no option for me to do that in the boot menu. Later on i googled some stuff and it told me to check system configuration to see if it says 'Legacy' which is Bios that you can convert...
  6. UEFI instead of BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI instead of BIOS: Hi guys. So recently i've been checking out my system components and my BIOS seems to be outdated. First of all i want to install UEFI instead of BIOS, and secondly, it says 'Outdated' next to the 'BIOS', which i believe is a bad thing? Even tho google tells me that i don't...
  7. UEFI/BIOS Virus?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI/BIOS Virus?: I have recently bought a new PC. Initially the W10 version was 1909 but very soon after purchase it was upgraded to 2004. One of the first things I did was to create a recovery USB memory stick. This was prior to me knowing how to access the PC's BIOS/UEFI although I had...
  8. UEFI BIOS configuration issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI BIOS configuration issue: So recently, I have downloaded a .exe file and after both running it and restarting my pc, I lost both keyboard and mouse functionality. This was in UEFI with safe boot on, and when I switched to safe boot off, my pc worked again. I am curious, is there a way to fix the...
  9. BIOS / UEFI setup

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS / UEFI setup: Hi, I have several Dell E6410's here with latest Win 10 1803 update and A17 BIOS. All ok apart from one machine which the power light stays on at shutdown. This particular machine happens to be set up with the boot option set to UEFI whereas the others use Legacy. So I...
  10. UEFI vs BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI vs BIOS: My computer has UEFI installed but when I go to the BIOS I see an old fashioned BIOS. I thought UEFI was supposed to replace the BIOS. Can someone explain? 81410