Windows 10: BIOS - CSM setting changed

Discus and support BIOS - CSM setting changed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Steve C, those are the settings i have: OS: Windows 8, UEFI only (CSM set to Never does that?), Secure boot enabled. I've loaded BIOS defaults then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by biker66, Apr 5, 2018.

1. biker66 Win User

BIOS - CSM setting changed

Steve C, those are the settings i have: OS: Windows 8, UEFI only (CSM set to Never does that?), Secure boot enabled.
    I've loaded BIOS defaults then set OS to Windows 8, CSM set to Never. Secure boot is enabled by default.
    I also enable virtualisation as my CPU supports it though i've never had the need to use it yet.

biker66, Apr 5, 2018
  2. biker66 Win User

I have set my BIOS to disable CSM support as i want my drive to be GPT not MBR. if i don't disable CSM in the BIOS then even if i set the drive to GPT using diskpart, Windows install will change it to MBR type without telling me! my mobo is a "Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH". I had the BIOS setting for OS to "Windows 8 WHQL". there is no info in the guide book about this particular setting. the other options are "Windows 8" and "Other". then i set BIOS CSM to never. The problem i've had and this has happened more than once is that the BIOS OS setting changed from "Windows 8 WHQL" to "Other" & i think CSM was enabled. Has Windows 10 done this or the BIOS? maybe its a software or hardware fault with the BIOS? another problem i've had is that a SATA drive port i had set to disabled was re-enabled. sometimes this would result in new drive letters appearing.

:)

biker66, Apr 17, 2018
  3. WayneRupp Win User
    Windows 10 won't boot

If all goes well then great... but change the BIOS settings back to the way they originally were afterward...assuming success of course. Was the BIOS in Legacy or CSM mode previously? If so, then switch it back to that after achieving success.

Wayne

WayneRupp, Apr 17, 2018
  4. aakkam22 Win User

Windows 10 installing stuck on blue logo no spinining circle (32bit to 64 bit)

Try changing the hard disk controller in the BIOS from AHCI to IDE or Legacy.

If you have a UEFI system have you tried using CSM mode? (substitute BIOS instead of UEFI)

aakkam22, Apr 17, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    Is it installed as UEFI or Legacy ?

CountMike, Apr 18, 2018
  6. biker66 Win User
    UEFI, thats what setting CSM to never does?

biker66, Apr 18, 2018
  7. CountMike New Member
    CSM = Compatibility Support Module, that's needed for UEFI and practically means same thing.

CountMike, Apr 18, 2018
  8. Steve C Win User

When enabling secure boot, Gigabyte told me to use the Windows 8 option and not Windows 8 WHQL. I set that and UEFI only and all is fine.

Steve C, Apr 18, 2018
  9. biker66 Win User
    whats the secure boot option for? (its enabled by default i think). that option only appears when set to Windows 8?

biker66, Apr 18, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    Secure boot | Microsoft Docs

CountMike, Apr 18, 2018
  11. biker66 Win User
    ok i'll check i have it enabled next time i reboot.

biker66, Apr 18, 2018
  12. Could you please post a shot of disk management.

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

With CSM disabled it would force UEFI

BIOS - CSM setting changed [​IMG]

For some reason your manual is missing several points found in other Gigabyte manuals. I pulled down several. I know there can be differences model to model but generally they are the same.

Caledon Ken, Apr 18, 2018
  13. biker66 Win User

the section in the mobo user's manual "BIOS - Peripherals" doesn't mention CSM nor the setting for Windows 8.

biker66, Apr 18, 2018
  14. CountMike New Member
    Nothing to do with peripherals, look for it somewhere else.

CountMike, Apr 18, 2018
  15. I just posted your manual is missing stuff.

You can look but I searched repeatedly with CRTL-F.

You have to find a board similar to yours. The BIOS will be the same for these components. I downloaded several so I'm confident. CSM is the same even across manufactures.

In one manual they even tell you the OS setting but I could find. On mine I set to other OS and I've seen that before.

Caledon Ken, Apr 18, 2018
Thema:

1. BIOS - CSM setting changed - Similar Threads - BIOS CSM setting

2. CSM support not showing in gigabyte bios!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CSM support not showing in gigabyte bios!: i want to enable secure boot in my PC. but can't do it. help me if anyone knows the solution. there's also not any csm support showing in my bios https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/csm-support-not-showing-in-gigabyte-bios/231fe5c2-3473-4b4e-a779-89115088018b
  3. CSM support not showing in gigabyte bios!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CSM support not showing in gigabyte bios!: i want to enable secure boot in my PC. but can't do it. help me if anyone knows the solution. there's also not any csm support showing in my bios https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/csm-support-not-showing-in-gigabyte-bios/231fe5c2-3473-4b4e-a779-89115088018b
  4. What is CSM Support in BIOS? How to enable or disable it?

in Windows 10 News
    What is CSM Support in BIOS? How to enable or disable it?: [IMG]CSM or Compatibility Support Mode is a part of UEFI Firmware and is used to make an operating system and other connected devices compatible with the UEFI. It is only used by devices when the application is not compatible with BIOS but UEFI. In this post, we will learn...
  5. I cant boot into bios after disabling CSM.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant boot into bios after disabling CSM.: Hello! I try to enable Secure Boot so that I can play Valorant on Windows 11. When i want to enable it it tells me to "Disable CSM first". After i disabled CSM, when i try to enter bios, it shows up zoomed in and i cant move my mouse anywhere, its blocked. But if i dont press...
  6. I cant boot into bios after disabling CSM.

I cant boot into bios after disabling CSM.: Hello! I try to enable Secure Boot so that I can play Valorant on Windows 11. When i want to enable it it tells me to "Disable CSM first". After i disabled CSM, when i try to enter bios, it shows up zoomed in and i cant move my mouse anywhere, its blocked. But if i dont press...
  7. Can i safely change my BIOS from UEFI with CSM to UEFI only?

Can i safely change my BIOS from UEFI with CSM to UEFI only?: Hello,I really want to turn on Secure Boot, but that is not possible if my BIOS is UEFI with CSM and not UEFI only. I have checked my drives2 and they are both GPT and not MBR. As for Secure Boot itself, in the BIOS it says it's enabled, but obviously it doesn't show up while...
  8. Installed Windows 10 in GPT drive, but changing BIOS settings from CSM to UEFI doesn't let...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed Windows 10 in GPT drive, but changing BIOS settings from CSM to UEFI doesn't let...: My motherboard - MSI B450i Ryzen 7 2700 2 * 8GB DDR4 Ballistix RAM Samsung Evo 860 480 GB I've recently installed and setup my desktop. When installing I had kept the BIOS settings in default, which set things to CSM. Since I had installed the Win10 in GPT partition...
  9. Csm or legacy options unavailable in bios.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Csm or legacy options unavailable in bios.: please help me my bios systeam have no csm or legacy options for that i cant install windows 10 by bootable usb drive. Device:Asus Model:x509fb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/csm-or-legacy-options-unavailable-in-bios/be1fbad3-d605-4436-b877-ef320804d407
  10. BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?: I have a laptop with BitLocker enabled with TPM with PIN protection. If an attacker steals my laptop, would they be able to access my sensitive files from the Internal hard drive if I do not set a BIOS Password to prevent the attacker from changing the BIOS settings? 139592