Windows 10: BIOS POST on restart too long

Discus and support BIOS POST on restart too long in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Please review the forums rules about piracy. *Arrow Forum Rules - Windows 10 Help Forums Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Brink, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

BIOS POST on restart too long

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
  2. julietsix Win User

I'm having this issue where the BIOS is taking very long to POST (mobo is a MSI B350). Typically 2-3 minutes. Strange thing is that this only occurs on a restart. When going from a shutdown machine to startup it POSTs and loads Windows quickly and normally (15 seconds?). I've googled around a bit but can't quite find a solution or a problem similar to mine. Any help in the right direction would be immensely appreciated!

Easy things I’ve tried so far:
    unplug all usb peripherals on restart
    update MOBO using MSI Live update 6
    Clean install of latest NVIDIA graphics driver

As a side note - Not sure if coincidence or not, but I've been playing AC Origins for the past couple weeks with zero problems, but it has now started to randomly crash straight to desktop and feels like it has coincided with the BIOS issues. Could it be related?

:)

julietsix, Apr 26, 2018
  3. My Bios takes too long to load but it didn't use to!

I recently had an issue with my internet connection to the laptop which I am using(only my laptop can't connect to the internet). I went to acer page(Yes, I have an acer computer) and I downloaded all the wireless adapter drivers(you can find their names
    at the end of this post). Since then when I open my computer it takes too long to open and it just loads something that didn't use to at the past.

When that is done it says : "no bootable file name" and then it boots and even when it had left the boot page it still keeps going so slow(something that didn't use to). I have tried lot of things but nothing solved it.

Wireless Adapter Names

1)Wireless LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.62_W10x64_A

2)Wireless LAN_Broadcom_7.35.267.0_W10x64_A

3)Wireless LAN_Intel_18.11.0.8_W10x64_A

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

basilisdounavis, Apr 26, 2018
  4. BIOS POST on restart too long

My Bios takes too long to load but it didn't use to!

i went into bios and changed some things to its default nothing happend!

I said i downloaded some wireless drivers!

basilisdounavis, Apr 26, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    Do you have last BIOS installed ?

CountMike, Apr 26, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan
    5) net user test /add
    6) powercfg.exe /hibernate off
    7) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread8) shutdown /r
    9) logon with the new use named test
    10) shutdown /r
    11) sign on with the regular user
    12) shutdown /s
    13) Power on the computer
    14) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    15) powercfg.exe /hibernate on
    16) shutdown /r
    17) logon with the regular user
    18) shutdown /r
    19) logon with the user named test
    20) shutdown /s

The above steps: check the operating system, drive file system, a new user, hibernation and fast startup.

Please report into the thread the findings of how the steps impact the boot.

If the BIOS post times are fine with hibernation off and problematic with hibernation on this is likely related to Windows fast startup.

In this case you would keep hibernation on and turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

zbook, Apr 26, 2018
  7. CountMike New Member
    His problems are with BIOS not OS.

CountMike, Apr 26, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

zbook, Apr 26, 2018
  9. CountMike New Member
    Ryzen boards and systems had/have problem with "Memory training" step when RAM, if not set manually has to cycle several times to set proper frequency and timing. That happens in BIOS no matter which OS. Last BIOS should fix that. Same was happening with my Ryzen and 3 different RAM sets and processors.

CountMike, Apr 26, 2018
  10. julietsix Win User
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.371]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.371

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /scan
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    615424 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    9890 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    646 reparse records processed.
    737048 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    646 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    60813 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    37899264 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

1024146897 KB total disk space.
    548287152 KB in 535987 files.
    288616 KB in 60814 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    756261 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    474814868 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    256036724 total allocation units on disk.
    118703717 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user test /add
    The account already exists.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2224.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg.exe /hibernate off

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

julietsix, Apr 27, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    The user test already exists so change the new user name to test4272018 or some other name so that there is a new user.
    Then use the administrative command prompt command:

net user test4272018 /add

zbook, Apr 27, 2018
  12. julietsix Win User
    Yeah, it states that because I accidentally closed the command prompt while attempting to copy the information needed. So the "test" account is actually the one I was asked to create.

julietsix, Apr 27, 2018
  13. julietsix Win User

That being said. The problem still exists.

Countmike mentioned "having the last bios installed". I am unsure if he means flashing the bios or updating its drivers. As mentioned I have used Live update 6 to update drivers, but have not flashed the bios.

julietsix, Apr 27, 2018
  14. zbook New Member
    Run the beta log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    Windows 10 Help Forums
    (extract > open)
    If there is any problem running the log collector then view the text and images in this thread: (post #5)
    DM Log tool problem Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Please confirm:
    1) Turning hibernation on or off had no impact?
    2) Using an new user for logon had not impact?

zbook, Apr 27, 2018
  15. julietsix Win User
    This is correct.

julietsix, Apr 27, 2018
Thema:

1. BIOS POST on restart too long - Similar Threads - BIOS POST restart

2. How long to wait post restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long to wait post restart?: I updated my laptop with the latest version of Windows 10. I thought my laptop had been auto updated. It had not, so this was a big upgrade and went slowly. Finally got it 100% downloaded and to the point where it wanted to restart. Hit yes, and now I’ve been at a black...
  3. How long to wait post restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long to wait post restart?: I updated my laptop with the latest version of Windows 10. I thought my laptop had been auto updated. It had not, so this was a big upgrade and went slowly. Finally got it 100% downloaded and to the point where it wanted to restart. Hit yes, and now I’ve been at a black...
  4. How long to wait post restart?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Laptop too too long to restarting system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop too too long to restarting system: Hi for the past 1 or 2 months suddenly my latop took too long to restart like 3 ~ 5mins each time, i got my windows on SSD and i only need like 10 15s to startup but whenever i tried to restart it took so long.I searched for solution and try them all but none of them work,...
  6. Laptop too too long to restarting system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop too too long to restarting system: Hi for the past 1 or 2 months suddenly my latop took too long to restart like 3 ~ 5mins each time, i got my windows on SSD and i only need like 10 15s to startup but whenever i tried to restart it took so long.I searched for solution and try them all but none of them work,...
  7. Laptop too too long to restarting system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Laptop takes too long to restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop takes too long to restart: When I restart my laptop, it takes a very long time. The strange thing is that when I boot up my laptop, like fresh boot or simple power on, it is fast and it has no problems ,it just boot up normally. If I restart my laptop, it takes too long that I had to press and hold...
  9. Restarting pc takes too long!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restarting pc takes too long!: Hello, i am using Windows 10 Pro x64. Since i installed Windows, restart is way too slow. But now it is even worse. It takes almost 20 seconds sometimes. I tried to disable something, which has to do with system saving state image and hibernation and to disable automatic...
  10. Windows Taking Too Long to Restart.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Taking Too Long to Restart.: Hello, I recently realized that restarting takes longer than shutting my laptop down and turning it on again. It even works slower at the beginning when restarting it. The laptop is just half a year old. Laptop is fine it is working very good for its specifications but I just...