Windows 10: BIOS update failed now doesn't recognize hardware or boot Win 10

Discus and support BIOS update failed now doesn't recognize hardware or boot Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Having lots of issues with a new Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard. After swapping out the old board I had trouble booting to Windows 10-64bit. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GARoss, Jul 8, 2017.

1. GARoss Win User

BIOS update failed now doesn't recognize hardware or boot Win 10

Having lots of issues with a new Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard. After swapping out the old board I had trouble booting to Windows 10-64bit. I did manage to update my Windows license by calling MS but have other issues. My new CPU is a AMD Ryzen 7 1700. The BIOS was version F4. It was suggested a BIOS update to F5 was needed. I did the update within BIOS & when it got to about 90% finished it suddenly said it would reboot in 10 seconds. After reboot I was briefly able to use the mouse & go back into BIOS & noticed it did not update to F5. The mouse suddenly froze & keyboard doesn't work either.Now, it apparently does not recognize any hardware (USB, where the keyboard & mouse are plugged into) & boots to the blue Windows screen but no further. Suggestions, please HELP!

:)

GARoss, Jul 8, 2017

2. SSD Hard drive no recognized after crashing Windows 10 update failure (locked-up)

Thank you for this comment.

I checked the BIOS before, but THIS solved my troubles:

- I confirmed that my Samsung SSD 1TB was not recognized. (as before).

- I experimented with my old WD 750GB drive and it was recognized without BIOS change. (as 6 month ago)

- Then I tried again my SSD without BIOS change: => no luck.

- Then I explored my Dell E6500 notebook BIOS and found the option "Quick-Boot" as ON.

- I changed BIOS option "Quick-Boot" to AUTO (Operation system can set this flag on/off by itself).

- Samsung SSD 1TB was now recognized on first attempt and old Win 8.1pro started in "Safe-Mode" as adjusted with msconfig (previously called via run command).

- I reboot twice (back into Safe-Mode) to confirm SSD was further recognised and Windows would start.

- Then I called msconfig via run command again and set boot option to normal (deselect safe-boot).

- My Win 8.1pro started normal.

Windows 10 update still fails:

The update via the Win10 icon in the taskbar or via WindowsUpdate both fail with the message:

"Windows 10 can not be installed to USB by using setup"

I found on my C:\ boot drive new paths named $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS.

QUESTION: Should those be erased before trying again. (I don't want to mess it up again...)

THANK YOU.

StefanPilot, Jul 8, 2017
  3. gww53 Win User
    Failed install, unable to reboot to windows 7, error 0xc000000f

I do have my original win 7 disk. The repair option does not work--response is that the version of the disk is older than the current version. I could not see an option except to reinstall win 7, loosing all my programs, etc.

I saw many with success downloading Win 10, updating the downloaded iso then updating. I tried that, and the installation has worked , tho at each of the reboots during installation, and now still with Win 10, after my bios posts I get the same black screen
    with message

Windows failed to start as the result of a recent hardware or software change.

File:\EFI|Microsoft|Boot|BCD

Booting up with the original disk, etc, ... repeatedly fails on "repair" option, but offers new installation

If I ctrl-alt-del (and did this three times during win 10 conversion) and enter my bios (Gigabyte UEFI dual) and select "Windows Boot Manager" from within the BIOS, the system starts, and best I can tell, Windows 10 works fine and so do all of my programs

Is there a repair option for this from within Win 10, or must I revert to Win 7 and Reinstall Win 7, loosing everything on my computer????

gww53, Jul 8, 2017
  4. bobkn Win User

The GA-AB350 has a dual BIOS, which is supposed to protect against bad BIOS updates. However, I think that its functioning is automatic; I don't spot any way of manually causing the use of the backup BIOS.

I had a similar problem with one of my first UEFI motherboards. Automatic dual BIOS, but the backup BIOS never came into play. II ended up returning the board.

No guarantees that this will help, but have you tried clearing the CMOS? There's a jumper for that, or you can do it by removing the CMOS battery for a minute. See the manual. (Downloadable as a PDF, if you don't have a paper copy.)

If that doesn't work, you may have to repair or replace the board. The BIOS EEPROM chips look like they are soldered to the board, so you can't simply replace them.

Good luck.

bobkn, Jul 8, 2017
  5. GARoss Win User
    Thanks,

I pulled the battery out of the MB & waited about 20 minutes. Then, with battery replaced, power up & all booted to a Windows repair screen but nothing happened. I rebooted again. This time a window flashed that said BIOS was reset. I checked BIOS again but couldn't use the mouse & eventually rebooted again, this time I finally got into Windows 10 desktop.

Apparently the original F4 BIOS is still in place. I'm at a loss now how to update to F5. Gigabyte offers an App Center & fails to install which might make life easier.

I'm trying "Q-Flash" next. Pray for me (I need all the help I can get!). *Wink

GARoss, Jul 8, 2017
  6. GARoss Win User
    Q-Flash didn't work. It locked at 16% but no more. Took battery out again to hopefully reset again. Bummer! *Sad

GARoss, Jul 8, 2017
  7. bobkn Win User
    My sympathies.

I did BIOS updates for many years without any problems until UEFI came along.

Should you end up having to get a different board, I recommend one with a dual BIOS and a hardware switch to select the backup.

bobkn, Jul 8, 2017
  8. BIOS update failed now doesn't recognize hardware or boot Win 10

Should you try the BIOS flash again with q-flash strip the unit down to essentials. Just enough memory to boot, no drives.

Then load defaults and q-flash to next level. Ensure your power is nice and stable.

Caledon Ken, Jul 8, 2017
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    This is the most important step in flashing a BIOS that many folks neglect to do.
    Very important to reset all defaults in the old BIOS and restart before attempting a flash.

The flash procedure from within the BIOS is normally the safest procedure. But you can get a bad download from time to time so always delete the old BIOS upgrade download and get a fresh one.

10. GARoss Win User
    Thanks for the advice. It updated but still had issues. I called the store this morning & the board is being returned for exchange. Bummer!

GARoss, Jul 9, 2017
  11. Yes, but better now before its all loaded and the warranty has expired. That is a BUMMER !!

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 9, 2017
  12. Kbird Win User
    This happened to me recently on an old board too, (yours is new so all good) and in the end I had to use @Bios which I don't usually recommend , ie doing Bios Flashes from Windows , EZFlash usually works fine and some MBs have a dedicated USB Port just for Bios flashing that even works with no CPU ( some asus boards at least ) but there are Key Combos for the Dual bios , ALT+F2 was suggested to me at Boot but I also found this online

Recover from GIGABYTE Backup BIOS (Only for motherboards with Dual BIOS technology)
    Method #1:

• Shut off the powersupply by pressing the button on the ”PSU” or by removing the power cable.
    • Press the powerbutton 3-4 times to empty the stored energy in the power supply.
    • Turn on the powersupply
    • Press and hold the powerbutton, the system will start the bootup procedure but will shut down after a few second. Release the powerbutton after the system have shut down completely.
    • Press the powerbutton to start the system.
    • If this technique was successful the system will boot and you will see the following image.
    Method #2:

• Shut your PC down.
    • Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
    • Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.
    Method #3:

• Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
    • Tell a friend (or a relative) of yours to press the power on button
    • Remove the ghetto-like jumper you’re holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
    • Backup BIOS should kick in again and everything will (hopefully) be fine.

BIOS update failed now doesn't recognize hardware or boot Win 10 [​IMG]

PS.... that board is up to F7 Bios now
    GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE

Kbird, Jul 9, 2017
  13. GARoss Win User

Thanks Kbird. I have printed your suggestions for the next board. Actually, I returned the GA-AB350-Gaming & purchased the GA-AB350-Gaming 3 model as they are both the same price now + I didn't want to wait for an exchange that would turn around in a weeks time.

The whole swap was a nightmare. Not the installing but the "what to do, what's wrong" queazy feeling. After everything was installed I had only C: drive plugged in. The PC seemed to need a couple of on/off/on again to get to the selection screen for BIOS. All looked okay in BIOS. Fans were working, RAM was recognized correctly so I booted. Went thought the on/off/on again & finally got to the desktop. All seemed okay there. I took care of the Windows 10 product key having to call to India to do it. Then restarted.

Once again on/off/on again issue & finally went into BIOS to see what might be wrong. I've never worked with this type of BIOS before where the mouse is active. What struck me odd was, now that my other drives were plugged in, the boot drive was mis-identified for some reason & I could not "select" the correct drive to change it. I shut the PC down. When I looked up the specs it said there are 6) SATA slots on the board. True but two faced towards the front of the case & two were identified as ASATA. I assumed they were all backwards compatible (?).

BIOS update failed now doesn't recognize hardware or boot Win 10 [​IMG]

I finally got it to boot again & then read about new versions of BIOS thinking that might be my issue. At the Gigabyte website they recommend installing their APP Center. I found a download, installed & opened & it immediately indicated a newer version was available. Well, okay? Installed that then the APP Center wouldn't open stating a driver error. Couldn't uninstall completely either.

Gave up on the APP Center & tried to Q-flash in BIOS per their instructions. Got to about 90% & it suddenly it said it would reboot but when it did it was lost again. Eventually got to the desktop but after shutting down, I was unable to boot until I pulled the board battery & waited 20 minutes. After a few more on/off/on it did boot but failed after that no matter what. Perhaps @BIOS from the desktop is better. (?)

I do have Gigabyte's phone number now & will check with them for help as there were so many times I wasn't sure what to do. New board will be here mid-week for round two!

GARoss, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BIOS update failed now doesn't recognize hardware or boot Win 10 - Similar Threads - BIOS update failed

2. Update failed, now computer boots but will not recognize any devices...ie: it's a brick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update failed, now computer boots but will not recognize any devices...ie: it's a brick: I'm posting from my phone because my computer cannot utilize any USB devices.Before this issue, my computer has been an a problem. Burned out a motherboard with unknown issue, replaced with ASRock bm450. Problem wasn't solved and I couldn't do updates around when win11 was...
  3. Update failed, now computer boots but will not recognize any devices...ie: it's a brick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update failed, now computer boots but will not recognize any devices...ie: it's a brick: I'm posting from my phone because my computer cannot utilize any USB devices.Before this issue, my computer has been an a problem. Burned out a motherboard with unknown issue, replaced with ASRock bm450. Problem wasn't solved and I couldn't do updates around when win11 was...
  4. Update failed, now computer boots but will not recognize any devices...ie: it's a brick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Win 10 update now stuck at bios screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 update now stuck at bios screen: Today had an update to my laptop running win 10.its a lenovo x240. After clicking restart power instructions the pc has not got past the bios screen and asks for the boot drive. Only one drive installed and no partitions. Not been able to find work around. How the community...
  6. Win 10 update now stuck at bios screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 update now stuck at bios screen: Today had an update to my laptop running win 10.its a lenovo x240. After clicking restart power instructions the pc has not got past the bios screen and asks for the boot drive. Only one drive installed and no partitions. Not been able to find work around. How the community...
  7. Win 10 update now stuck at bios screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Win 10 boot fail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 boot fail: Win10 won't boot. Displays error oxc0000185. What is error oxc0000185? How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-boot-fail/2cdd11b6-7156-4663-8ead-4f3c2db0da69
  9. Win 10 Bios Boot Config doesn't show DVD as boot option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 Bios Boot Config doesn't show DVD as boot option: Windows 10 32 bit ASUS MB ASUS DVD. Unable to select DVD as 1st boot or any other option. DVD doesn't appear as an option when configuring. DVD is functioning with an assigned drive letter. Only Removable, CD, HD, and disabled are options. How would I get DVD to appear in...
  10. Laptop doesn't boot after BIOS update

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop doesn't boot after BIOS update: Hi guys, I recently bought a MSI laptop, and decided to update the BIOS. However after the update my laptop just doesn't boot anything, no USB, no hard drive, nothing. Can anyone help me out? I already enabled/disabled secure boot, used UEFI etc. and tried to flash the...