Windows 10: Bios update help newbie

Discus and support Bios update help newbie in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hi new here and have just checked my bios and i believe it is out dated here is the current version BIOS Version/Date AMI 8.15, 05/02/2013... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by likishi84, Apr 29, 2016.

1. likishi84 Win User

Bios update help newbie

hi new here and have just checked my bios and i believe it is out dated here is the current version

BIOS Version/Date AMI 8.15, 05/02/2013

and on the hp website it comes up with two opptions

this one

HP Compaq Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family 2ADA)
    8.20 Rev.A 3.7 MB Jan 7, 2016

and this one

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family 2ADA)
    8.17 Rev. A 4.2 MB Jan 7, 2016

am not to sure which one to download and install and dont want to brick my machine

i am running windows 10 but cant find an option for windows 10 on there support page

here is the link [hp web site and computer model](HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support
    the hp website any help would be great thanks in advance.

:)

likishi84, Apr 29, 2016
  2. Mick_H1 Win User

HELP! Newbie

Aahhhhh, Had a feeling you were a Vodafone victim when I read your first post :smileyindifferent:

If you're trying to start the flasher from the icon within the flasher folder, it won't work. Try starting it from the start menu. Works like that for me.

Once you're up and running copy and paste this line:

flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1.203.1_PR_COMBINED_203_ARM.bin -f -R

to the end of

C:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5>

and hit return. All being well you should start flashing.

Assuming that is the .bin file you downloaded.

Mick_H1, Apr 29, 2016
  3. HELP! Newbie

The latest firmware is available via "FOTA" for UK users

FOTA means firmware over the air which is another way of saying it can be installed without using a computer..

If, however, you have a vodafone branded handset, you're out of luck because vodafone aren't approving their firmware and therefore Nokia aren't releasing it.

You can tell this by opening the settings application, scroll down to "about product". If you version has 205 in it, its a Vodafone handset.. if it has 203 its a british generic handset.. and you will be able to upgrade using the app manager tool (though I
    seriously advice using wifi to do this)

There are many many walk through on this forum that can help you flash your phone.. but you shouldn't need to

cpitchford, Apr 29, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Bios update help newbie

In general a BIOS update would only be done if the update specifically addresses a problem you are having. It should not be done just because there is a newer version available. A failed BIOS update, which can happen even if you do everything right, can mean an unbootable computer. In some cases the only recovery is physical replacement of the BIOS chip by a trained technician. Such problems are not common but they do happen

LMiller7, Apr 29, 2016
  5. likishi84 Win User
    thanks will leave it as is

likishi84, Apr 29, 2016
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Just to answer the question, you would install the version 8.20 BIOS. That is the newest one.

But I agree - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thema:

Bios update help newbie

1. Bios update help newbie - Similar Threads - Bios update help

2. Help with batch files for a newbie.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with batch files for a newbie.: Hello and Happy New Year!I have a few files open upon log in to my windows account by using the shell:startup folder. This has been working well but I feel like instead of having to update this folder every week file names change every week due to having the date in their...
  3. Help with batch files for a newbie.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with batch files for a newbie.: Hello and Happy New Year!I have a few files open upon log in to my windows account by using the shell:startup folder. This has been working well but I feel like instead of having to update this folder every week file names change every week due to having the date in their...
  4. Help with batch files for a newbie.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Newbie

in Windows 10 Support
    Newbie: Hi Guys and Girls my name is Kerrigan ( for short) I have never posted here yet but I do drop in from time to time. I run a windows 10 machine with reasonably high specs. I live in a beautiful part of Western Australia called Mandurah which is about an hours drive from our...
  6. Newbie need help plz

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Newbie need help plz: I occasionally have an issue where games and other files show like a file and an internet explorer logo. Common? submitted by /u/Dullestwillow27 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ivoi5n/newbie_need_help_plz/
  7. HELP NEWBIE ALERT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HELP NEWBIE ALERT: I need help. I have the acer swift 3 and was told that window is already on the laptop I would just need the code to activate where exactly is the code? And I am really scared that I may have thrown it away. I have kept everything from the box, to what is inside the box....
  8. Help a Newbie Create a RAMDisk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help a Newbie Create a RAMDisk: Hello, Folks, Well, I think the most important reward you get is that I will tell everyone here that you are the greatest person alive! If they could help me do the following. First, solve the following questions with a bit of proof.1. Can you tell me and prove to me which...
  9. [help] Network issues for a newbie??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [help] Network issues for a newbie??: I don't know if this is the place to ask but the Windows support forums are so complicated I thought I'd give it a shot. I have Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire E15 laptop and i know next to nothing about computers or how to fix them. Recently if I bump my charger cable or move...
  10. newbie

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    newbie: I have a laptop with genuine Windows default his laptop then I bring my laptop to the computer worker after the Windows OS check is changed to not original, how do I restore the windows to the original version? Because recovery is deleted thank you...