Windows 10: BitLocker after enabling boot to startup settings with winaero

Discus and support BitLocker after enabling boot to startup settings with winaero in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a serious problem. I enabled the boot to startup settings option in winaero and now my computer boots to bitlocker. I checked online and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by karstenes, Oct 6, 2015.

1. karstenes Win User

BitLocker after enabling boot to startup settings with winaero

Hi,
    I have a serious problem. I enabled the boot to startup settings option in winaero and now my computer boots to bitlocker. I checked online and I don't have the key for it. What can I do? (Computer is surface pro 3 i5 4g of ram)

:)

karstenes, Oct 6, 2015

2. BitLocker questions

Hello,

I have few questions about BitLocker.

1. We have BitLocker set up on laptops and have required additional authentication at startup. Is there a way for the system to boot directly into windows after authenticating on the BitLocker screen?

2. Is there a way to synchronize the BitLocker password and Windows passwords?

Linton Harris, Oct 6, 2015
  3. BitLocker freezes on boot in Windows 10 with UEFI

I would like to share frustrations I've had with Windows 10 and BitLocker in hopes that someone else may have encountered these issues and has a better solution than my workaround.

A few weeks ago, I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro build RTM (10240) on a HP Envy x2. When I do a clean install, I delete all existing partitions on the system drive and click Next to allow Windows to create the necessary partitions automatically. It
    does not have a TPM chip, so I enabled the proper group policy setting to allow authentication without a TPM. I also ensured that Windows was installed in UEFI mode with Secure Boot enabled. Everything seemed to go smoothly when enabling BitLocker, until I
    got to the settings test. After enabling BitLocker using the Control Panel and electing to encrypt the entire drive using a USB startup key, it prompted me to restart the computer so BitLocker could test the settings.

On restart, the computer would not boot. It freezes on the HP UEFI splash screen. I let it sit for a couple hours, thinking it must be working on something behind the scenes, but no progress occurred. I powered off the tablet and turned it back on; same
    result. The only way I could get it to boot was to disable Secure Boot. It would then boot into Windows and BitLocker popped up a message stating that it was not successfully enabled.

After many hours of trying different settings, I wrote it off as an HP issue and settled for reinstalling in Windows 10 in legacy BIOS mode. This allowed BitLocker to work properly using the aforementioned setup.

However, I do not believe it is an HP issue. This past weekend, I attempted to enable BitLocker on another computer, a Dell XPS 18 with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. I successfully enabled hardware encryption and completed Samsung's Secure Erase procedure. I then
    performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro RTM (10240) using UEFI and Secure Boot. This computer has a TPM chip, so I did not elect to use a flash drive as a startup key. I was able to successfully initialize and take ownership of the TPM chip.

Again, the BitLocker test failed as the computer froze on the Dell UEFI splash screen. Power-cycling the computer did not resolve it. The only way I could boot was to enter the UEFI settings and disable Secure Boot. Then Windows would report that BitLocker
    failed.

I repeated my Windows 10 install with UEFI, but with Secure Boot disabled this time. I encountered the same result. The only way I could boot was to enable Secure Boot. This told me that changing the Secure Boot setting would wipe out whatever BitLocker
    freezing issue occurred on the restart test and allow me to boot. It didn't particularly matter if Secure Boot was enabled or not; just that I changed the setting to clear the freezing issue.

I tried the same installation again, but this time with Windows 10 Pro build 10586 on a flash drive created with the updated media creation tool. This produced the same result.

I tried many other options for hours, including ignoring the TPM chip and using a USB startup key, trying only a startup password, etc. I tried using the BitLocker prep command line function, which only reported that the drive was already prepared for BitLocker.
    I tried manually creating a separate 400MB system partition that BitLocker would use, but that produced the same result. Reinstalling Windows in Legacy BIOS mode allowed BitLocker to be enabled successfully.

My suspicions were now that this was not a HP or a Dell issue, but perhaps an issue with Windows 10. Thus, I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro on the Dell using the media creation tool and did so in UEFI mode with Secure Boot. I followed the same steps
    (initialize TPM, take ownership, restart computer to test BitLocker settings). The computer booted within seconds and in Windows, BitLocker reported that the entire drive was encrypted within seconds. I confirmed that hardware encryption was successful. The
    only difference in the process was that the BitLocker screens in Windows 8.1 reported that my drive would be prepared and automatic recovery would no longer be available unless I manually moved a recovery partition.

Once BitLocker was successfully enabled in Windows 8.1 Pro, I performed an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro build 10586 and BitLocker remained enabled.

In conclusion, the variable to me is Windows 10. It is not handling full drive encryption/preparation in the UEFI environment properly. Has anyone else encountered this? Can Microsoft confirm these findings?

BIMalippiatt, Oct 6, 2015
  4. karstenes Win User

Nvm fixed it

karstenes, Oct 6, 2015
Thema:

1. BitLocker after enabling boot to startup settings with winaero - Similar Threads - BitLocker enabling boot

2. Boot fails after enabling bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot fails after enabling bitlocker: Hi! After enabling Bitlocker on my Windows 10 system drive I'm unable to boot. I have turned on Bitlocker on my C drive with the full-drive encryption and new-not-backward-compatible-encryption options not sure how are the options exactly called. I have backed up the recovery...
  3. Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings: System: Surface Laptop 3, Windows 10 HomeIncident:I was fiddling around in the UEFI Settings and changed the Secure Boot option.After restarting the Laptop, Bitlocker turned on I forgot to disable it, before changing stuff in the UEFINow my problem is, I didn't back up my...
  4. Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings: System: Surface Laptop 3, Windows 10 HomeIncident:I was fiddling around in the UEFI Settings and changed the Secure Boot option.After restarting the Laptop, Bitlocker turned on I forgot to disable it, before changing stuff in the UEFINow my problem is, I didn't back up my...
  5. Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings

6. After enabling bitlocker I get this on startup...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After enabling bitlocker I get this on startup...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Tom47x [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mp1oly/after_enabling_bitlocker_i_get_this_on_startup/
  7. Computer Not Booting After I Enabled TPM and Bitlocker for C Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Not Booting After I Enabled TPM and Bitlocker for C Drive: I was trying to encrypt C drive with BitLocker but I was getting error for TPM so I enabled TPM and turn on BitLocker, after the restart my computer is not booting. When I power on I get AD Ready to Boot event code on motherboard and computer turn off after 10-15 seconds....
  8. Tried to enable BitLocker, now can't boot

Tried to enable BitLocker, now can't boot: I got a new Windows 10 1909 PC recently. Just decided to enable BitLocker on the system volume. BitLocker asked me if I wanted to perform a pre-BitLocker check (I can't remember the exact verbiage it used), and I responded in the affirmative. The BitLocker wizard prompted me...
  9. Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging

Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging: I am trying to create a Windows 10 image for my organization, and cannot figure out one particular issue with Bitlocker. It seems that after I sysprep, and throw the image on a new computer, it then has BitLocker partially enabled. What I mean is that when going to the About...
  10. Enable Always Boot to Advanced Startup Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Always Boot to Advanced Startup Settings in Windows 10: How to: Enable Always Boot to Advanced Startup Settings in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Always Boot to Advanced Startup Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information Advanced Startup Settings lets you start Windows 10 in different advanced troubleshooting modes to...
Tags: