Windows 10: BitLocker and Secure Boot questions

Discus and support BitLocker and Secure Boot questions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Secure Boot 1. I had been hesitant enabling Secure Boot because I am just afraid it might cause issues and slow down my laptop's boot time.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Dec 13, 2016.

1. BitLocker and Secure Boot questions

Secure Boot

1. I had been hesitant enabling Secure Boot because I am just afraid it might cause issues and slow down my laptop's boot time. Secondly, if I reinstall Windows 10 using my bootable USB flash drive, will I have to disable Secure Boot temporarily before installing Windows 10 from the flash drive?

I also have BitLocker enabled with Used Space Only encrypted. Will I also have to disable BitLocker before I enable Secure Boot?

BitLocker and future releases of Windows 10

1. When MS releases major upgrades such as the 1511 and 1607 releases, does BitLocker have to be Suspended or Disabled before upgrading to a new major release of Windows 10 or it is not required to do so?

Anyways, whenever I do these major upgrade installs, I always tend to perform a Clean Installation rather using the In-Place upgrades.

Please help - Thanks!

:)

win10freak, Dec 13, 2016
  2. Arun B J Win User

Bitlocker key ID does not match the Recovery Key given by MS for recovery

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer the link below and check if it helps.

BitLocker frequently asked questions (FAQ)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/bitlocker-frequently-asked-questions

BitLocker

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/bitlocker-overview

BitLocker recovery guide.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/bitlocker-recovery-guide-plan

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Dec 13, 2016
  3. jgdye Win User
    Windows 10 Bitlocker won't boot

In case anyone is following this, after looking at SuperUser, I found this MS post that addresses the issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/bitlocker-pin-pre-boot-screen-empty/f985c4f6-dd71-4586-bd46-50f513432bb3?auth=1

The SuperUser question is
    http://superuser.com/questions/1102358/windows-10-bitlocker-on-bootup-presents-just-a-blue-screen-but-no-password-box-o
    . SuperUser has a couple of potential fixes, but the gist is that you can type your password at the blank screen and it will work.

jgdye, Dec 13, 2016
  4. BitLocker and Secure Boot questions

I guess my post is a little bit too techy.

My question is basically, that do I need to disable or enable BitLocker before I enable or disable Secure Boot or vice versa?

Please explain.

win10freak, Dec 15, 2016
Thema:

BitLocker and Secure Boot questions

1. BitLocker and Secure Boot questions - Similar Threads - BitLocker Secure Boot

2. Change bitlocker secure boot policy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change bitlocker secure boot policy: Hi,I currently have Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker enabled and requiring a key/passcode on boot.Now I frequently want to boot my laptop from PXE over the network and to do this I need to keep turning off secure boot. If I turn off secure boot I can't then re-boot back into...
  3. Change bitlocker secure boot policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change bitlocker secure boot policy: Hi,I currently have Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker enabled and requiring a key/passcode on boot.Now I frequently want to boot my laptop from PXE over the network and to do this I need to keep turning off secure boot. If I turn off secure boot I can't then re-boot back into...
  4. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  5. TPM 1.2, Bitlocker, Secure Boot, Recovery question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    TPM 1.2, Bitlocker, Secure Boot, Recovery question: I have several laptops that are domain joined with Bitloocker policies to encrypt the OS and data drives in place. I have enabled Secure Boot, encrypted the drives and they require a complex pin to start the OS. This all works as expected, however everything I am reading with...
  6. BitLocker questions

BitLocker questions: I saved my BitLocker recovery key to my USB flash drive and it has the usual Recovery TXT file, but when I unhide the System files in File Explorer, it shows also the BEK file which is a hidden file. I got a new USB flash drive and need to transfer all the data from my...
  7. UEFI Secure Boot questions

UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  8. BitLocker questions

BitLocker questions: Hi, sorry for my poor English. I just realised that my HDD was Encrypted with BitLocker and I did not knew that. Rather I had no Key to access files in case of a failure were I could not boot any longer. How do I access my Data in case I can not Boot the PC and I have...
  9. Secure Boot and Bitlocker

Secure Boot and Bitlocker: If I have BitLocker enabled on my system, do I have to enable Secure Boot as well? If BitLocker is enabled, does that mean I must enable Secure Boot? Or, can I just leave Secure Boot disabled? 90970
  10. BitLocker questions

in Windows 10 Support
    BitLocker questions: I'm thinking of using BitLocker, but I need to know a few things first. 1. I use two partitions, one for the OS (and installed programs) and another for Documents. 2. I know that I'll have to format the OS drive and re-install Windows at some point in the future...
Tags: