Windows 10: Bitlocker automatically suspending after CU

Discus and support Bitlocker automatically suspending after CU in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I have encountered unexpected behavior with Bitlocker since cumulative update (CU) KB4100403 in June. The machine is running Windows 10 Pro,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Crking, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Crking Win User

Bitlocker automatically suspending after CU

Hi

I have encountered unexpected behavior with Bitlocker since cumulative update (CU) KB4100403 in June.

The machine is running Windows 10 Pro, 1803. The machine has no TPM, and Bitlocker is set up to use a password prior to logging in.

I noticed that since mid-June, Bitlocker is automatically suspended on my operating system drive during Cumulative Updates. Once the update has completed and I log in, Bitlocker is suspended and must either be manually resumed or will automatically resume once I manually restart the system. manage-bde shows the drive status as:

Volume C: [System]
    [OS Volume]
    Size: 59.07 GB
    BitLocker Version: 2.0
    Conversion Status: Fully Encrypted
    Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%
    Encryption Method: XTS-AES 128
    Protection Status: Protection Off (1 reboots left) <-------------------
    Lock Status: Unlocked
    Identification Field: Unknown
    Key Protectors:
    Password
    Numerical Password

The problem here is that Bitlocker should not be suspended unless user-initiated as this creates a security issue. Now I am aware of the following blog post relating to changes made to Bitlocker in 1803: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2018/05/02/new-upgrade-to-windows-10-1803-without-suspending-bitlocker/. I have asked about this issue elsewhere have been pointed to this blog post, however it doesn't apply to my situation as (1) it applies only to Feature Updates, not the Cumulative Updates I am dealing with; and (2) it only applies to machines that have a TPM - mine does not.

Looking at the Bitlocker event logs, each time Bitlocker is suspended, the event shows the action initiated by the system account, and each time it correlates with a CU installed in Windows Update.

To get to the bottom of this, I have tried:

(1) To eliminate issues related to software I've installed, I tried a fresh install of 1803 English International from my original ISO, only changed the GPO to allow Bitlocker without TPM, let Bitlocker encrypt, then applied all Windows updates (including the latest CU). On reboot, Bitlocker was suspended.

(2) To eliminate issues related to my ISO, I used the media creation tool to make a new USB installer of 1803 US English. Then followed the same process as (1). On reboot, Bitlocker was suspended.

(3) To attempt to eliminate as many hardware issues as possible, I set up a VirtualBox VM (without VM extensions or tools) and installed 1803 from my original ISO. Then followed the same process as (1). On reboot, Bitlocker was suspended.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this expected behavior since KB4100403, and if so, does anyone know why?

Thanks

:)

Crking, Jul 8, 2018
  2. Paola Gar Win User

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Jul 8, 2018
  3. Bitlocker Key

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. It is good that you know the Bitlocker key to properly get into the computer. To help you turn off the Bitlocker key, you can follow the steps below:

Please make sure you are signed as the Administrator of the computer.

To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive

System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.

• A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption. Click
      Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

To turn off BitLocker Drive Encryption

System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker.

• A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take some time. Click
      Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know if this resolves your concern.

Lemuel Cie, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Schlocko Win User

Bitlocker encryption suspended - how to restart

It possible that the BitLocker protection was accidentally suspended.

For us to provide you with appropriate resolution, please answer the questions below.

• When did the issue start? Not sure, maybe last week or so
    • Were there any changes made on the device? Only a few Win updates
    • Are you able to log in to your device? Yes
    • Have you tried to resume encryption in the BitLocker Manager?
      The option is not available when I right mouse click or not sure where to look for it
    • Can you clarify "on the reboot the TPM commands won't recognize my keyboard"?
      I do the steps to use TPM.MSC to clear out settings and reset password. I get to the reboot screen and no key works on the Surface keyboard I use

Schlocko, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Bitlocker automatically suspending after CU - Similar Threads - Bitlocker automatically suspending

2. BitLocker automatically enabled after Windows update & 30-day suspending of Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    BitLocker automatically enabled after Windows update & 30-day suspending of Microsoft account: Hello everyone,While living in Japan in 2017, I bought a Dell laptop and activated my Microsoft 365 account with a Japanese phone number. Now I am living in Vietnam and I switch my Microsoft account to a Vietnamese phone number. I have to wait for 30 days until my security...
  3. Cannot resume bitlocker after CU suspends it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot resume bitlocker after CU suspends it: This happens to many hundreds of our enterprise devices every month, after a cumulative update is installed on Windows. Bitlocker becomes suspended for multiple reboots. Ultimately, I'd like to solve the root of the problem by eliminating the suspension over several reboots....
  4. suspend BitLocker

suspend BitLocker: What are the steps to suspend BitLocker? My BitLocker activated and locked me out. I found the key and got back in but now I'm asked to enter the key each time I log in. I learned that my BIOS need to be updated and in doing that, was instructed to suspend BitLocker. I've...
  5. After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable

After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable: Hi After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable. know is asking Bitlocker key where i check my MS account it's show Bitlocker is not enable. how i have open laptop without bitlocker key. [ATTACH]...
  6. Bitlocker status when suspended?

Bitlocker status when suspended?: This might sound a bit silly, but bear with me. I have bitlocker installed on my laptop, which was stolen yesterday. There was an issue the other month where for some reason bitlocker suspended itself and I had to manually restart it. If I go to my devices on the...
  7. Suspending Bitlocker is automatically reverted. Decrypting drive automatically starts...

Suspending Bitlocker is automatically reverted. Decrypting drive automatically starts...: I'm another victim of the bitlocker fiasco. What is going on here? I have removed all TPM codes. I believe my drive is NOT using bitlocker encryption (Lock icon on the drive is "unlocked", but I still see the option to suspend encryption with the very odd behavior that when...
  8. Bitlocker suspends after Microsoft 10 Pro Upgrade and cannot be restarted

Bitlocker suspends after Microsoft 10 Pro Upgrade and cannot be restarted: After I ungraded my Windows 10 Pro with the latest update from Microsoft, my Bitlocker encryption was suspended. I do have TPM 2.0. When I tried to resume it, I received an error message trying to open the Wizard. I cannot turn Bitlocker back on and need it for my...
  9. BitLocker status says suspended?

BitLocker status says suspended?: So, I was checking the status of my devices and it said that BitLocker was suspended on my laptop PC... which doesn't make sense because it's not suspended?...
  10. BitLocker Drive Protection Suspended and Unable to Resume

BitLocker Drive Protection Suspended and Unable to Resume: Windows Defender requested that I "reset my TPM", which I did. But upon the restarting of the computer, the bitlocker drive protection is disabled for my C drive and when I try to resume it, it says, "An internal error has occurred within the Trusted Platform Module support...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker Protection Off 1 reboots left

2. bitlocker suspended itself

3. bitlocker event 778 reverted

4. bitlocker suspended after windows update,
  5. bitlocker suspended automatically,
  6. windows pro should I restart my bitlocker? 2018,
  7. bitlocker the identification field was changed