Windows 10: Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

Discus and support Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I've just replaced my laptop. Both old and new had / have two fixed drives - C drive with the OS one and then a second fixed local drive (mapped... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Quisquose, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Quisquose Win User

Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

Hi

I've just replaced my laptop. Both old and new had / have two fixed drives - C drive with the OS one and then a second fixed local drive (mapped as K) that I want to use for backups.

On my old laptop I had Bitlocker full drive encryption working for both, using the instructions at
    How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Fixed Data Drives in Windows 10
    and
    How to Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

I've succesfully enabled full disk encryption on my new C drive (including setting PIN to unlock on boot), but when I try and turn Bitlocker on on my K drive I get this error message:

Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive [​IMG]

I've tried searching here and elsewhere but haven't managed to find anything that matches my issue exactly. If it helps my old laptop didn't have a TPM module, but my new one does.

Hope someone can help me, please.

Many thanks

:)

Quisquose, Nov 30, 2017

2. What is unlock-bde context menu

It's at the second level: Control Panel >System and Security >Bitlocker Drive Encryption

laudablepus, Nov 30, 2017
  3. (BUG) BitLocker eDrive hardware encryption

Hi,

I did a clean install of Windows 10, and tried to use hardware encryption via BitLocker on my eDrive compliant 850 EVO ssd.

First it just would not use the hardware encryption (asks if I want to encrypt whole drive or only used portion) but I found that Intel rapid storage was conflicting with the process (version V14501081)

When I uninstalled IRST, the setup went right, but after the first reboot/system check, BitLocker has just dissapeared. It can't be found in the Control Panel (see screenshot), trying to open it via search doesn't work and it's not listed when right clicking
    the system drive, but when right clicking my second HDD there is an option to enable it, this brings me to the initialization screen, the BitLocker settings still can't be accessed. There's also no lock icon on the system drive, but BitLocker does ask for
    a password on bootup (don't have TPM).

When typing manage-bde -status C: in the command prompt, I get an error (see screenshot)

screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/JiHCu3K.png

This worked perfectly on Windows 8.1 for me.

Edit: Now BitLocker suddenly started working properly. The lock sign is there and the settings are back, still this is strange behaviour.

Thomas Debie, Nov 30, 2017
  4. Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

Do you have any group policies set for BitLocker? By default they should be all "Not configured."

Group Policy Editor->Computer Configuration->Admin Templates->Windows Components->BitLocker

PolarNettles, Nov 30, 2017
  5. Quisquose Win User
    I do yes - I had to enable 'Require additional authentication at startup' in order to enable PIN on boot. Do you think if I disabled that I could then encrypt the K drive and re-enable it afterwards?

Quisquose, Nov 30, 2017
  6. What are the exact options you set (i.e. Configure TPM startup, Configure TPM startup PIN, Configure TPM startup key, etc.)?

PolarNettles, Dec 1, 2017
  7. Quisquose Win User
    Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM: ticked
    Configure TPM startup: Allow TPM
    Configure TPM startup PIN: Require startup PIN with TPM
    Configure TPM startup key: Allow startup key with TPM
    Configure TPM startup key and PIN: Allow startup key and PIN with TPM

Quisquose, Dec 1, 2017
  8. Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

I was able to reproduce this on my system. I can encrypt my 2nd drive by setting:

Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM: ticked
    Configure TPM startup: Do not allow TPM
    Configure TPM startup PIN: Require startup PIN with TPM
    Configure TPM startup key: Do not allow startup key with TPM
    Configure TPM startup key and PIN: Do not allow startup key and PIN with TPM

PolarNettles, Dec 1, 2017
  9. Quisquose Win User
    Brilliant, that's worked. Thanks very much for your help *Smile

Quisquose, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

1. Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker conflict second

2. Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?: Hi. I have two drives, one with windows which is my main system, which has bitlocker. And another storage drive, which also has bitlocker. When I first boot up my PC, I have to enter my bitlocker password to access my PC. And then I also have to enter the bitlocker password...
  3. Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?: Hi. I have two drives, one with windows which is my main system, which has bitlocker. And another storage drive, which also has bitlocker. When I first boot up my PC, I have to enter my bitlocker password to access my PC. And then I also have to enter the bitlocker password...
  4. Bitlocker Drive Encryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker Drive Encryption: I got 500 Gb drive , about 450 Gb of data I started the encryption process , it reached 58.7% and stuck there without a change since yesterday please advice. Thanks [ATTACH]...
  5. fixing the OS time in seconds

in Windows 10 Customization
    fixing the OS time in seconds: Your operating system Date and Time format do not match the format expected for PM FASTrack to run. The format should be mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss. Your format is 12/28/2018 02:35 I have tried changing the calendars , but no use...
  6. Unlock Bitlocker encrypted fixed drive in Standard user account

Unlock Bitlocker encrypted fixed drive in Standard user account: I have encrypted my fixed drive(non-OS drive) using manage-bde (with autounlock enabled) from Admin User account. After encryption is complete, then i switch user account to standard user account. But my fixed drive is still locked. Can you suggest why this is happening and...
  7. BitLocker How access drive?

BitLocker How access drive?: I have a hard drive that was suspended during an in-place install win 10, build 16299-431. I resumed BitLocker protection on all drives (5 internal ) but this one I can't open any of the files but name and properties are visible and accessible. I can read and write to drive....
  8. Accessing Bitlocker Drive Encryption menu

Accessing Bitlocker Drive Encryption menu: Although I'm an Admin on my Win 10 Pro system (Surface Laptop), I can't access the subject menu. Instead, I receive the SysAdmin notice, as in the screenshot. This seems like a new "feature," as I could access it from my previous Win 10 Surface. I suppose that I could make...
  9. Indexing of a second drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing of a second drive: Hi There, I am having indexing problems in that only my C: drive gets indexed and my data drive D: gets ignored. This means that none of the data on D: is included and as this is where my Outlook files are stored, they too don't get included. I have tried rebuilding the...
  10. BitLocker Drive OS Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker Drive OS Install: Hi all. The computer is not booting up.. I tried crashing it in WinRE .. some how microsoft did it again and now my drive is Bit Locker Encypted Asking bit locker key for every repair option. I got the keys from Ms account. When trying to run SystemRestore, Startup...
Tags: