Windows 10: Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

Discus and support Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I've just replaced my laptop. Both old and new had / have two fixed drives - C drive with the OS one and then a second fixed local drive (mapped... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Quisquose, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Quisquose Win User

Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

Hi

I've just replaced my laptop. Both old and new had / have two fixed drives - C drive with the OS one and then a second fixed local drive (mapped as K) that I want to use for backups.

On my old laptop I had Bitlocker full drive encryption working for both, using the instructions at
    How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Fixed Data Drives in Windows 10
    and
    How to Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

I've succesfully enabled full disk encryption on my new C drive (including setting PIN to unlock on boot), but when I try and turn Bitlocker on on my K drive I get this error message:

Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive [​IMG]

I've tried searching here and elsewhere but haven't managed to find anything that matches my issue exactly. If it helps my old laptop didn't have a TPM module, but my new one does.

Hope someone can help me, please.

Many thanks

:)

Quisquose, Nov 30, 2017

2. What is unlock-bde context menu

It's at the second level: Control Panel >System and Security >Bitlocker Drive Encryption

laudablepus, Nov 30, 2017
  3. (BUG) BitLocker eDrive hardware encryption

Hi,

I did a clean install of Windows 10, and tried to use hardware encryption via BitLocker on my eDrive compliant 850 EVO ssd.

First it just would not use the hardware encryption (asks if I want to encrypt whole drive or only used portion) but I found that Intel rapid storage was conflicting with the process (version V14501081)

When I uninstalled IRST, the setup went right, but after the first reboot/system check, BitLocker has just dissapeared. It can't be found in the Control Panel (see screenshot), trying to open it via search doesn't work and it's not listed when right clicking
    the system drive, but when right clicking my second HDD there is an option to enable it, this brings me to the initialization screen, the BitLocker settings still can't be accessed. There's also no lock icon on the system drive, but BitLocker does ask for
    a password on bootup (don't have TPM).

When typing manage-bde -status C: in the command prompt, I get an error (see screenshot)

screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/JiHCu3K.png

This worked perfectly on Windows 8.1 for me.

Edit: Now BitLocker suddenly started working properly. The lock sign is there and the settings are back, still this is strange behaviour.

Thomas Debie, Nov 30, 2017
  4. Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

Do you have any group policies set for BitLocker? By default they should be all "Not configured."

Group Policy Editor->Computer Configuration->Admin Templates->Windows Components->BitLocker

PolarNettles, Nov 30, 2017
  5. Quisquose Win User
    I do yes - I had to enable 'Require additional authentication at startup' in order to enable PIN on boot. Do you think if I disabled that I could then encrypt the K drive and re-enable it afterwards?

Quisquose, Nov 30, 2017
  6. What are the exact options you set (i.e. Configure TPM startup, Configure TPM startup PIN, Configure TPM startup key, etc.)?

PolarNettles, Dec 1, 2017
  7. Quisquose Win User
    Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM: ticked
    Configure TPM startup: Allow TPM
    Configure TPM startup PIN: Require startup PIN with TPM
    Configure TPM startup key: Allow startup key with TPM
    Configure TPM startup key and PIN: Allow startup key and PIN with TPM

Quisquose, Dec 1, 2017
  8. Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

I was able to reproduce this on my system. I can encrypt my 2nd drive by setting:

Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM: ticked
    Configure TPM startup: Do not allow TPM
    Configure TPM startup PIN: Require startup PIN with TPM
    Configure TPM startup key: Do not allow startup key with TPM
    Configure TPM startup key and PIN: Do not allow startup key and PIN with TPM

PolarNettles, Dec 1, 2017
  9. Quisquose Win User
    Brilliant, that's worked. Thanks very much for your help *Smile

Quisquose, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

1. Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker conflict second

2. Where can i get BitLocker key for second drive second partition. second drive first...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where can i get BitLocker key for second drive second partition. second drive first...: This drive consists of two partitions, D and E drivesIn order to unlock the BitLocker-encrypted C,D and E drives, I followed the necessary steps by logging in to my Microsoft account. However, I could only find two BitLocker keys in my account: one for the operation system...
  3. Where can i get BitLocker key for second drive second partition. second drive first...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where can i get BitLocker key for second drive second partition. second drive first...: This drive consists of two partitions, D and E drivesIn order to unlock the BitLocker-encrypted C,D and E drives, I followed the necessary steps by logging in to my Microsoft account. However, I could only find two BitLocker keys in my account: one for the operation system...
  4. BitLocker cannot encrypt secondary fixed drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker cannot encrypt secondary fixed drive: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T480 with two NVMe SSDs. Both have been encrypted with BitLocker for years.Recently I had to send the laptop for repairs and they replaced the motherboard and reset the device and thus the drives. Once I got it back, I restored the drives from my...
  5. Bitlocker - conflict question with Intune

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker - conflict question with Intune: Hello! I have been learning my way around Intune for the purposes of BitLocker'ing our organizations endpoints. Intune has occasionally worked but mostly hasn't. It HAS worked on the laptop I am currently using, but then I would decrypt from the control panel to then try...
  6. Bitlocker working on OS drive, not on second drive fixed data drive

Bitlocker working on OS drive, not on second drive fixed data drive: I am running W10 pro, 19041. I have had to do a fresh install of W10 and since then I cannot switch bitlocker on on the D: drive. The disk is not even shown on the Bitlocker Drive encryption settings page. The C: drive has bitlocker enabled and is encrypted. Have been...
  7. Folders conflict with one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders conflict with one drive: Windows insists on naming pc documents or pictures as one drive files not pc files. There are separate pc documents and pictures folders but one drive seems to get priority. This seems to be deliberate. Tried to remove and replace with pc documents or pictures in quick access...
  8. BitLocker Startup Conflict HELP

BitLocker Startup Conflict HELP: What am I missing here. I keep getting a group policy BitLocker startup conflict. I have been able to use the same settings across other computers same model and it worked. I have tried different combinations of the settings below and running gpupdate and nothing works. I...
  9. How to fix COM number conflicts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to fix COM number conflicts: When we install the clean win10 system and enter win10 for the first time, windows assigns a COM number is conflicts with the standard serial port from LPC IO chip. [ATTACH] When we install the clean win10 system and enter win10 for the first time, windows will load USB...
  10. Unlock Fixed or Removable BitLocker Drive in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Unlock Fixed or Removable BitLocker Drive in Windows: How to: Unlock Fixed or Removable BitLocker Drive in Windows How to Unlock a Fixed or Removable BitLocker Drive in Windows [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of...
Tags: