Windows 10: [BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?

Discus and support [BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just wish that future PCs/laptops will have the capability to encrypt data just like the way it is done on modern smartphones these days. For... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by qp0615932, Jan 2, 2018.

1. [BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?

I just wish that future PCs/laptops will have the capability to encrypt data just like the way it is done on modern smartphones these days.
    For example, on the iPhone or even Android devices encryption is done by creating a PIN or a Passcode without the need to create or generate a recovery key. Because the Passcode or a PIN is the actual recovery key to decrypt data on the phone.

This would be more easier on PCs if they would implement the same technology as they do on smartphones.
    That way, users don't have to worry about where and how to store the actual recover keys.

So basically, I wish PCs would do the same technology the same way as they do on these phones where all you need is a PIN to decrypt the device.

For example, a Username and Password would be the recovery key without the need to generate one separately.
    I think that would be a good idea for the next versions of Windows in the future. But that would also imply to PC manufacturers as well.

win10freak, Jan 5, 2018
  2. qp0615932 Win User

Actually it does not have anything to do with PC vs. smartphone.

PCs running Linux (i.e. Ubuntu etc.) are doing it the same way it is being done on Android phones. The PIN/Password is the actual recovery key to decrypt data on the PC with Ubuntu and other Linux distros.

It's just that MS Windows is requiring an additional recovery key (maybe macOS as well).

qp0615932, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

[BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?

1. [BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key? - Similar Threads - BitLocker Encrypting without

2. BitLocker Recovery without Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Recovery without Key: Need to reinstall Windows 10. Getting a BitLocker recovery key error - I don't have the key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-without-key/25e6b04d-6be4-4cd9-af22-21047a4743b2
  3. BitLocker Recovery without Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker Recovery without Key: Need to reinstall Windows 10. Getting a BitLocker recovery key error - I don't have the key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-without-key/25e6b04d-6be4-4cd9-af22-21047a4743b2
  4. BitLocker Recovery without Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: I purchased a second hand HP ProDesk PC and supplier replaced original SSD with new larger capacity. BitLocker was and remains turned on. I wasn't aware until I spent some time updating Win10 Pro and downloading some programs and data.Via Control Panel > BitLocker Drive...
  6. Bitlocker has Encrypted disks without a recovery key

Bitlocker has Encrypted disks without a recovery key: Hi, I have an issue where a number of devices on the network have encrypted without a recovery key which I didn't think was possible, most of the devices have correctly stored the key in AD and Azure. A GPO exists to force a 48 digit recovery key and store in AD. so a...
  7. Bitlocker encryption key recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker encryption key recovery: My Dell windows 10 laptop is acting up. Won't finish booting up.. Try to run clean disk and keep getting asked for my bit locker encryption key... I've never set this up machine bought new in a store. Help! Please... Steve...
  8. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: On Windows 10, I'm trying to set up a Bitlock Recovery Key and I accepted the Print option. On the print out I am being asked to compare the start of the identifier on the print out with the identifier on my computer to see if it matches. Where on the computer would I find...
  9. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key: I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No...
  10. Is there a way to generate Bitlocker recovery key with key ID?

Is there a way to generate Bitlocker recovery key with key ID?: Hello, I have a SD card, that I have encrypted with Bitlocker using win 7 from another PC. (Bitlocker to Go) I am sure that the password is 85% correct but Bitlocker doesn't accept it. I don't have on my outlook account or on my computer the recovery key. The recovery key...
Tags: