Windows 10: Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption

Discus and support Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Good Evening, We're testing Bitlocker in our environment and are running workstations with Windows 10 Pro build 1803. On one test computer, a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Dan Schauber, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption

Good Evening,

We're testing Bitlocker in our environment and are running workstations with Windows 10 Pro build 1803. On one test computer, a Surface laptop we're having an issue when starting encryption. Disk utilization jumps up to 100% while encrypting and the system is very slow. It stops this behavior immediately after the encryption processes stop.

We are encrypting XTS-AES 128 bit full disk with backup of the key to AD.

Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption [​IMG] Microsoft Corporation Surface Laptop
    Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption [​IMG] S/N 010174171957
    Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption [​IMG] Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.70GHz, 512KB Level 2 cache
    Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption [​IMG] 136.1932.789 MSFT - 0
    Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption [​IMG] 8,192 MB RAM
    Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption [​IMG] THNSN0128GTYA TOSHIBA 119.24GB SCSI

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the cause? Thanks!

:)

Dan Schauber, Aug 3, 2018

2. Bitlocker Encryption

I'm not entirely sure if Bitlocker is encrypting my data.

I freshly installed windows 10 pro, encrypted the hard-drive using the "used space only" method, its brought up a percentage bar then after it was done I started to download a lot of things like up to 70gb worth or stuff on my computer. After I complete
    downloading all the files, I check Bitlocker to see if it has encrypted the data with the "manage-bde -status" command and it was already at 100%. I'm not sure if it already encrypted the data, if it pending to be encrypted or if I need to decrypt then re-encrypt
    the harddisk .

Can someone please give me information on how it works

Emmanuel_M, Aug 3, 2018
  3. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 3, 2018
  4. Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption

BitLocker not encrypting?

We have several HP ElitePad 1000 G2 tablets running Windows 10 Pro that we want to set up encryption on.

The order of events that we are doing to accomplish encryption are:

1. Turn on Bitlocker from Control Panel > System and Security

2. Select "Save to a file" when asked how I wanted to back up the recovery key

3. Select "Encrypt entire drive" and "New encryption mode"

At this point, some of the tablets would spend hours apparently encrypting the SSD. Some of the tablets said the encryption was done after a few moments.

4. Add a startup PIN

5. Restart the tablet to make sure the PIN was prompted for (it was)

6. Check the encrypted status of the tablet by entering "manage-bde -status c:" at a Command Prompt. All tablets reported back someting like:

Volume C: [Windows]

[OS Volume]

Size: 103.67 GB

BitLocker Version: 2.0

Conversion Status: Fully Encrypted

Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%

Encryption Method: XTS-AES 128

Protection Status: Protection On

Lock Status: Unlocked

Identification Field: Unknown

Key Protectors:

TPM And PIN

Numerical Password

7. Check whether BitLocker was actually encrypting files on the C: drive

a. Create a new text file on the C: drive

b. Copy the file to a USB flash drive (or email it as an attachment)

c. Download the file on another system

Upon opening the file on the other system, I found that it was not encrypted and everything was visible in clear text.

There seems to be something fundamental that I am missing or misunderstanding about just what BitLocker is supposed to be doing.

This link (Enabling File Encryption) indicates that encryption is available only on NTFS (which the tablet is formatted as), and that if you copy the file to a floppy disk or to any other file system, the file is no longer encrypted.
    I'm assuming this is old information (the "floppy disk" part kind of dates it) not relevant to BitLocker.

ScottZellerK, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption

1. Bitlocker Encryption - Surface Laptop: Using 100% Disk Utilization During Encryption - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Encryption Surface

2. Bitlocker shows un-encrypted in "Manage Bitlocker" but show encrypted in "Disk Management"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker shows un-encrypted in "Manage Bitlocker" but show encrypted in "Disk Management"...: Bitlocker is showing un-encrypted in "Manage Bitlocker" but show encrypted in "Disk Management". I had upgraded the Bios on an HP Z4 G4 Machine to the current version just to make sure everything is current. Why is there a discrepancy in what is showing for disk encryption....
  3. Encrypted using bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted using bitlocker: My servers were attacked by an attacker and the attacker has encrypted all of my VMs using Bitlocker. The attacker is asking for a payment of 1btc for the decryption key. Is there a way that Microsoft can help me decrypt my data? Otherwise, I would have no choice but to pay...
  4. Encrypted using bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypted using bitlocker: My servers were attacked by an attacker and the attacker has encrypted all of my VMs using Bitlocker. The attacker is asking for a payment of 1btc for the decryption key. Is there a way that Microsoft can help me decrypt my data? Otherwise, I would have no choice but to pay...
  5. Encrypted using bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Is there any way to get Bitlocker full disk encryption (not device encryption) on a laptop...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to get Bitlocker full disk encryption (not device encryption) on a laptop...: I’m part of a Microsoft 365 Home family plan. Is there any way to implement full disk encryption using Bitlocker in this scenario? Or is Bitlocker FDE exclusively available to Windows 10 Pro editions? Device encryption isn’t enough for my use case - I need to be able to...
  7. BitLocker not respondind during encryption

BitLocker not respondind during encryption: hi I got Windows 10 Home upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (brought from Microsoft Store) I BitLocked the C-drive + internal D-drive just fine. My PC is without a TPM-chip. I followed the fine instructions from www.windowscentral.com - how use bitlocker encryption. Then I...
  8. BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?

BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?: Hello everyone, Since choosing to encrypt the ENTIRE drive with BitLocker which can take very long time to complete, can I encrypt the Used Disk Space only when re-installing Windows 10? When there is a need for me to reinstall Windows, here is how I do it. 1. Boot...
  9. BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted

BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted: I have been using my laptop for a while, but no sensitive data stored on it yet and I just enabled Bitlocker with the Used Space option to save time. The files that were deleted are NOT sensitive. A few questions here. 1. When I decide to reinstall Windows 10 again on...
  10. BitLocker - Used Space Encryption on used Laptop?

BitLocker - Used Space Encryption on used Laptop?: I tried several times to encrypt the entire disk after reinstalling Windows 10 but it always took for ever (usually 10 hours) to fully encrypt my internal 320GB drive. I managed to run bitlocker successfully by encrypting only used space. My question is should I run...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bit locker hard drive at 100%

2. bitlocker pinning disk at 100%

3. bitlocker off but percentage encrypted 100%

4. ntoskrnl using 100% disk while bitlocker decrypting,
  5. ntoskrnl using 100% disk while bitlocker decryption,
  6. after bitlocker encrytion hard drive running at 100%