Windows 10: Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

Discus and support Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; We use Bitlocker to encrypt the external drives in our company, and we need to exclude the ClickShare units in our meeting rooms. I causes confusion to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ian_Friis, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Ian_Friis Win User

Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

We use Bitlocker to encrypt the external drives in our company, and we need to exclude the ClickShare units in our meeting rooms. I causes confusion to the end users when prompted to encrypt these devices.Barco made a post about it here 2 years ago: https://www.barco.com/en/support/knowledge-base/3732-bitlocker-popup-when-clickshare-button-is-insertedI noticed there is a policy for admins in Windows 11 using InTune. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-adds-a-bitlocker-exclusion-policy-for-usb-drives/Can this be done without InTune?And is there a similar policy for Window

:)

Ian_Friis, Feb 28, 2024

2. External USB HDD drive bitlocker encrypted without a key

Hello CatchyWater7200,

Thank you for reaching Microsoft Community. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

I am aware that you're having trouble accessing your external USB disk drive that has been encrypted by BitLocker. I am here to help. Allow me to ask a question.

• Would you mind sharing what exactly the message shows when ask for the USB key?

Your drive appears to have been encrypted using BitLocker, a function that guards your data against illegal access. For access to the drive, BitLocker requires a password or recovery key. Since you don't have a BitLocker USB key, you can try using the BitLocker recovery key to unlock the drive. Here are the steps to do that:

1. Connect the external USB disk drive to your Surface Pro 6.
    2. When prompted to enter the BitLocker key, click on "More options". Or you can enter "Esc" key or the Windows key to continue.
    3. Click on "Enter recovery key".
    4. Enter the BitLocker recovery key that you found on your Microsoft account.
    5. Click on "Unlock".

If the above steps don't work, you can try disabling BitLocker on the external USB disk drive. Here are the steps to do that:

1. Connect the external USB disk drive to your Surface Pro 6.
    2. Open File Explorer and right-click on the external USB disk drive.
    3. Click on "Manage BitLocker".
    4. Click on "Turn off BitLocker".
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to disable BitLocker on the external USB disk drive.

Please note that disabling BitLocker will remove the encryption from the external USB disk drive and make it less secure. Therefore, it's recommended to re-enable BitLocker once you've accessed your files and photos.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Lavenia

Lavenia A., Feb 28, 2024
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Feb 28, 2024
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 28, 2024
Thema:

1. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Bitlocker external drive

2. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10: We use Bitlocker to encrypt the external drives in our company, and we need to exclude the ClickShare units in our meeting rooms. I causes confusion to the end users when prompted to encrypt these devices.Barco made a post about it here 2 years ago:...
  3. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10: We use Bitlocker to encrypt the external drives in our company, and we need to exclude the ClickShare units in our meeting rooms. I causes confusion to the end users when prompted to encrypt these devices.Barco made a post about it here 2 years ago:...
  4. exclusions list isn't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exclusions list isn't working: im trying to add a file to my windows defender exclusions list but its not showing up. no error code or anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exclusions-list-isnt-working/529006c7-67fd-4239-8de1-58c0497582c2
  5. exclusions list isn't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exclusions list isn't working: im trying to add a file to my windows defender exclusions list but its not showing up. no error code or anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exclusions-list-isnt-working/529006c7-67fd-4239-8de1-58c0497582c2
  6. exclusions list isn't working

7. Windows Security exclusions list

Windows Security exclusions list: After getting message saying Administrator blocked the execution of a file deemed unsafe, i.e. "D:\setup.exe", which came with my 8 year old Samsung multifunction printer, I added it to the Windows Security exclusions list and ran again. Unfortunately, I get the same...
  8. Bitlocker for External Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker for External Drive: Sorry I tried to search but couldn't find the answer. I have 4TB external hard disk (3TB Filled) and I am thinking of enabling bitlocker on it. Would it be possible to suspend the encryption process and disconnect the drive to continue on another day? Previously while...
  9. External Drive File List

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Drive File List: Hello All, I wasn't sure in which community I should post this, so I apologize in advance. I have a few external drives, and I'd like to create a list of the files for each drive. I started creating an Excel spreadsheet, and manually adding each file name and location...
  10. Indexing Options, the "Exclusion List"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Indexing Options, the "Exclusion List": Windows 10; Build 11082. WHERE is the DATA folder located? I am trying to remove it from the exclusion list. [img] 34751