Windows 10: Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable?

Discus and support Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm just installing my notebook from scratch. I set up a dual boot with Fedora 27 and Windows 10 Pro. Both OSes are installed on the same SSD (1 TB).... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dma, Dec 26, 2017.

1. DMA
    dma Win User

Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable?

I'm just installing my notebook from scratch. I set up a dual boot with Fedora 27 and Windows 10 Pro.
    Both OSes are installed on the same SSD (1 TB). The system is EFI with Secure Boot activated.
    First of all I installed Win10 on a 200GB partition. Afterwards Fedora installer was used to install Fedora (250GB space) alongside Win10 together with Grub boot loader. Everything fine so far.
    My idea is to setup the remaining space of 500GB as a NTFS partition which will then be shared among the both OSes.
    I formatted it from the Linux OS with NTFS and mounted it. Everything worked fine.

Once I boot into Windows 10, it automatically changes the partition type to "NTFS (bitlocker encrypted)" - without any user intervention or input. At the next boot in Linux it refuses mounting because it doesn't know of Bitlocker...

I already tried switching off Bitlocker via Group Policy editor but that behaviour remains the same.

Any hints how to get rid of this?

Cheers

:)

2. Sophie707 Win User

How to use Bitlocker to encrypt (and automatically decrypt) a single but partitioned hard-drive (C and D partitions)?

Hey Solar Eclipse,

I was brave enough today to enable Bitlocker on both my C: and D: partitions of my hard-drive.

Everything went well, following your instructions.

I enabled Bitlocker first on the C: partition (where Windows 10 is installed), and then on the D: partition.

While enabling Bitlocker on the C: partition, the partition unlocked (and continues to unlock) automatically - a Bitlocker password was not requested.

Regards the D: partition, it also unlocks automatically - the wizard for enabling Bitlocker on the D: partition had automatic unlocking as an option, which I chose.

So other than not having to input a Bitlocker password while enabling Bitlocker on the C: partition, your instructions are exact. So I'm marking your post as an answer.

Many thanks!!

Sophie707, Dec 26, 2017
  3. \Boot\BCD Error 0xc000000f Can't boot Windows 10

How does that D: partition appear if you run Disk Management or diskpart from within the new Windows install? Does it show up as an NTFS partition?

Did you have any encryption in use, such as Bitlocker?

Don Cuthbert, Dec 26, 2017
  4. Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable?

Disabling encryption will not decrypt files automatically.

Code: fsutil behavior set disableencryption 1 cipher /d /s:C:\[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Dec 27, 2017
  5. DMA
    dma Win User
    No, the fsutil command didn't help. Still the same behaviour afterwards.

My test:
    1. Issued the fsutil command above
    2. Rebooted Windows
    3. Deleted the 500GB volume via diskmgmt and recreated it (format: NTFS)
    4. Still the same result. Diskmgmt is telling me that the volume is NTFS but bitlocker encrypted

Just to make it clear: I don't have the issue that files are being encrypted. Actually, it doesn't matter because I start with an empty volume...

My problem is simply the fact that Windows 10 automatically creates respective converts NTFS volumes into bitlocker encrypted NTFS even when Bitlocker ist switched off. This prevents Linux from being able to mount the volume. What I need, is let's say "Plain NTFS"

Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable? [​IMG]

6. Disable encryption services.
    Code: sc config BDESVC start= disabled sc config EFS start= disabled[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Dec 27, 2017
  7. DMA
    dma Win User
    Disabling those both services did the trick! *Biggrin

Thank you very much.

Thema:

Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable?

1. Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable? - Similar Threads - Bitlocker automatically enabled

2. raw and ntfs partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    raw and ntfs partition: Had a disk partition that turned raw. Already read all the posts on converting raw partitions to ntfs partitions without formatting disk.Convert d: /fs:ntfs doesn't work returning message "d: is already ntfs". If I open disk management the partition d: is marked as raw, btw....
  3. How to Enable or Disable Automatic Learning in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Automatic Learning in Windows 10: Microsoft along with many other tech giants is trying to make Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning adjust according to the user. Be its speech recognition, Automatic Learning, etc. Microsoft is trying to embed as many features in their Windows OS as they can....
  4. BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically: May you please assist. We have recently noted that most of our new purchased computers in my organisation have BitLocker enabled automatically when the machine is setup. Users are are not aware that they have BitLocker since BitLocker seems not to have been setup to require...
  5. How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates: [ATTACH]When you use a computer, you want it to perform as well as it […] This article How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable

After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable: Hi After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable. know is asking Bitlocker key where i check my MS account it's show Bitlocker is not enable. how i have open laptop without bitlocker key. [ATTACH]...
  7. Disable Automatic Bitlocker Encryption

Disable Automatic Bitlocker Encryption: I purchased a new laptop and I noticed that right after my clean install of Windows 10 1903 using a Local Account, BitLocker was automatically encrypting my drive. This isn’t good, because I prefer to use the AES-256 cipher as opposed to the default AES-128. I came across a...
  8. Bitlocker Enabled Automatically - How to switch this off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker Enabled Automatically - How to switch this off: Hi, We are a reseller of HP machines and over the past few months we are having issues Windows 10 and Bitlocker. There was a patch a couple of weeks back which caused a subset of HP workstations to bluescreen and keep rebooting. We found that when we tried...
  9. Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows automatically converts plain ntfs to FVE-FS even not encrypted cannot mount in Linux

2. ntfs partition bitlocker encrypted

3. ntfs bitlocker encrypted disable?

4. ntfs partition lost after encryption enabled,
  5. windows 10 1909 bit locker starts automatically,
  6. windows 10 format partitions as ntfs but no bitlocker,
  7. windows 10 bitlocker partition to ntfs