Windows 10: BitLocker Key for External Drive

Discus and support BitLocker Key for External Drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just encrypted my external drive with BitLocker, and chose "Save to your cloud domain account" as one of my backups for my Recovery Key. When I log... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by I Used to Be RJB, Jul 13, 2018.

1. BitLocker Key for External Drive

I just encrypted my external drive with BitLocker, and chose "Save to your cloud domain account" as one of my backups for my Recovery Key.

When I log on to my MSFT account, I see the recovery key for my PC (uploaded about a year ago), but not for my external drive. Does it not know who I am? Or does it take a while to post? Or, what?

Thanks!

:)

I Used to Be RJB, Jul 13, 2018

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jul 13, 2018
  3. Bitlocker on multiple external drives

Hi Myron,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with using bitlocker on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if bitlocker settings is incorrect.

I suggest you to try decrypting the volume for the multiple external drives and then reset the bitlocker for the multiple drives.

Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article.

Note: The step provided in the below link is also applicable in Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...er-Drive-Encryption-and-decrypting-the-volume

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 13, 2018
  4. jmledger Win User

BitLocker Key for External Drive

Unable to access Bitlocker encrypted External drive

I read the articles. Yet, I am still confused on what to do. I did not see where it tells me how to unlock my external drive with the pass key I have. Can some one give step by step? I am sure I'm not the first to have a external drive with bitlocker on
    and try to unlock on a new computer.

Thank you

jmledger, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

BitLocker Key for External Drive

1. BitLocker Key for External Drive - Similar Threads - BitLocker Key External

2. Bitlocker encryption on external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption on external drive: Hello, I need support regarding Bitlocker. I have activated the Bitlocker encryption on my external drive and it stopped responding at 89%. The encryption process simply freezes and it freezes my whole laptop. All I can do is enforce restarting my laptop to be able to access...
  3. Bitlocker encryption on external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption on external drive: Hello, I need support regarding Bitlocker. I have activated the Bitlocker encryption on my external drive and it stopped responding at 89%. The encryption process simply freezes and it freezes my whole laptop. All I can do is enforce restarting my laptop to be able to access...
  4. External USB HDD drive bitlocker encrypted without a key

External USB HDD drive bitlocker encrypted without a key: Summary. I cannot access my external USB disk drive that has been encrypted by bitlocker.Backround. I am using a MS Surface Pro 6. Originally it was running Win10 Home. For years, I have been using an external USB disk drive to backup important photos and documents. Recently,...
  5. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive: My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on to an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned...
  6. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive: My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on to an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned...
  7. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive: My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned to...
  8. Bitlocker for External Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker for External Drive: Sorry I tried to search but couldn't find the answer. I have 4TB external hard disk (3TB Filled) and I am thinking of enabling bitlocker on it. Would it be possible to suspend the encryption process and disconnect the drive to continue on another day? Previously while...
  9. Bitlocker recovery key for external drive isn't working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker recovery key for external drive isn't working: When I try to use the recovery key, it says: "Digit group 7 contains an error" I'm just pasting it in submitted by /u/KipPurdy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dkfvq6/bitlocker_recovery_key_for_external_drive_isnt/
  10. Remove BitLocker for external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove BitLocker for external drive: different os before current still shows bit-locker encryption on that drive and would like it to stop with the large box notification on my display. Went to control panel as shown by other of your agents and after a reboot, it will display again. Would like to know how to...