Windows 10: BitLocker key protector management help

Discus and support BitLocker key protector management help in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Seeking BitLocker help: Win10 machine with TPM. OS drive was successfully encrypted with "TPM & PIN" additional key protection. Now I'm hoping to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tinten10, Apr 10, 2016.

1. tinten10 Win User

BitLocker key protector management help

Seeking BitLocker help:

Win10 machine with TPM.
    OS drive was successfully encrypted with "TPM & PIN" additional key protection.
    Now I'm hoping to drop back to "just TPM" with no additional PIN protection without having to decrypt and re-encrypt. (note: the reason is so that updates will reboot back to windows login and leave this base station machine accessible by Remote (RDP) but the reason is not what I want to discuss)

I haven't found how to do it yet and don't know whether to concentrate on the "manage-bde" commands or gpupdate or both to find the answer. None of the local bitlocker policies are enabled (but the machine is in an AD domain.) If I try the following:
    manage-bde -protectors -delete C: -Type TPMAndPIN
    (within an admin cmd prompt) I get:
    "ERROR: An error occurred while deleting the key protector.
    Group Policy settings require the use of a PIN at startup. Please choose this Bitlocker startup option."

Is there a way I can check what the domain admin is requiring? I forget how to check the broader group policies on Win10.
    Thanks!

:)

tinten10, Apr 10, 2016
  2. PrinceTB Win User

Bitlocker loop cannot boot

I was having an issue with Bitlocker prompting for the recovery key upon boot. group policy is correct. boot order is correct. manage-bde -protectors -type tpmandpin and I set my pin. still I was only receiving the recovery key prompt. manage-bde -protectors
    showed tpm and pin and also numeric password. I deleted numeric password with manage-bde -protectors -delete -recoverypassword. so all that remained in status was tpm and pin. upon reboot i am in a never ending loop with preparing bitlocker recovery and restart.
    it wont prompt for recovery password or pin. I need a solution as there is sensitive data on the drive and i do not want to have to format.

*** Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category. ***

PrinceTB, Apr 10, 2016
  3. BitLocker key asking on every reboot

Hi Jefferson,

Tnx for the reply. I had tried the same laptop with windows 10 version 1703 and 1709, in which the bitlocker encrypts the HDD perfectly fine with any issue, the problem comes when i reboot. the one with version 1703 reboots without asking for bitlocker
    key and the the one with version 1709 asks top enter the bitlocker key on every reboot.. i tried disabling and enabling the bitlocker by running this command

<manage-bde.exe -protectors -disable C:>

<manage-bde.exe -protectors -enable C:>

I had also ready that in windows 10 version 1709 changes were made in bitlocker features

Do let me know abt any updates or solutions on this.

Regards,

Akram

Akram_Farshid, Apr 10, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

There is this very easy way: ask the admin. If admin accepts what you want to do, I am sure you get help. We cannot help you to work around policies set by your admin.

5. tinten10 Win User
    Thanks Kari, Yes, I'm trying to do that, it just takes time in a large organization. Meanwhile, if they are -not- ruling that my users have to have a PIN on top of the TPN I'm trying to figure out if I've found the right way to remove the PIN I set up without having to decrypt/re-encrypt....

~~

tinten10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BitLocker key protector management help - Similar Threads - BitLocker key protector

2. Bitlocker key help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker key help: Hello, my laptop currently needs bitlocker key to go into my desktop, but when I try to go and find my bitlocker key it just keeps refreshing the page and says Something happened. Wait a bit, then try again. If the issue still persists contact us....
  3. bitlocker key help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bitlocker key help!: how can i find the bitlocker key for my laptop? I have read everything I can find on it and I still cant get into it! how can i bypass it so I can use my laptop? Someone please help....
  4. BitLocker Key Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Key Help: My CPU is currently in data recovery and they are requesting my BitLocker Key. I cannot locate it on my Microsoft account. I do have the serial number and proof of purchase. Can Microsoft help me locate the BitLocker Key to move forward with the data recovery process?...
  5. BitLocker Key Help

BitLocker Key Help: My CPU is currently in data recovery and they are requesting my BitLocker Key. I cannot locate it on my Microsoft account. I do have the serial number and proof of purchase. Can Microsoft help me locate the BitLocker Key to move forward with the data recovery process?...
  6. BitLocker Key Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get": BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"While "C" is the drive it can be, C, D, E ect...1 "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" I used the above command to find me info, no issues at all... SEE SCREEN SHOT #12 "manage-bde -protectors E: -get" Then I tried to...
  8. BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"

BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get": BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"While "C" is the drive it can be, C, D, E ect...1 "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" I used the above command to find me info, no issues at all... SEE SCREEN SHOT #12 "manage-bde -protectors E: -get" Then I tried to...
  9. BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Manage-bde create key protector complete no files on USB

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Manage-bde create key protector complete no files on USB: Hi and Thank you, No files are saved to USB when generating protector key in powershell Admin I have a home built PC win 10 1909 that has a TPM header. The mobo is MSI b360 and I bought a new MSI infineon 1.2 / 2.0 v. 5.63.3353. I connected the TPM to the mobo and booted...
Tags: