Windows 10: Bitlocker on external HDD stuck at 24%

Discus and support Bitlocker on external HDD stuck at 24% in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've made several attempts to encrypt my external HDD. It is a 3TB Western Digital. On this last attempt it hit 24% in a few hours and sat on that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SuperCus, Jul 9, 2018.

1. SuperCus Win User

Bitlocker on external HDD stuck at 24%

I've made several attempts to encrypt my external HDD. It is a 3TB Western Digital.

On this last attempt it hit 24% in a few hours and sat on that for 2 days.... It gets stuck in the low 20%'s everytime...

Help

Andrew

:)

SuperCus, Jul 9, 2018
  2. jteo90 Win User

Remove BitLocker from my external HDD

Hi everyone. I'll go straight to the point. Is it possible to remove BitLocker encryption on my external HDD?

Someone encrypted my external HDD which contains 100GB of important work related documents. I have the password so I'm still able to view the files on the HDD, but I want to remove the BitLocker encryption because I suspect it's causing problems. Every time
    I try to cut/copy files in or out of the HDD, the transfer progress will just get stuck halfway, and my Windows Explorer will stop responding/crash.

I really don't want to lose that 100GB, or I'm going to get fired. At the same, this HDD is as good as trash if I can't transfer files in and out of it.

Can someone please save me?

jteo90, Jul 9, 2018
  3. Ralph Sta Win User
    BitLocker stuck

Hi Tamnu,

Your concern is more complex than what is typically answered here in Microsoft Answers forums. We suggest to post this query in our
    TechNet Forums, where the audience are more inclined when it comes to this type of topic.

You may also check out this thread from the TechNet Forums, as it has an answer to a similar concern like yours:

If you have further queries, don't hesitate to contact us.

Ralph Sta, Jul 9, 2018
  4. Bitlocker on external HDD stuck at 24%

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

Bitlocker on external HDD stuck at 24%

1. Bitlocker on external HDD stuck at 24% - Similar Threads - Bitlocker external HDD

2. Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD: To give some background I have been using a acer 300 se laptop as a gaming laptop and also to keep photos. But recently built a PC as a daily driver and was hoping to use a external hdd used on my laptop to transfer everything to me PC. So on the first time turning it on for...
  3. Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD: To give some background I have been using a acer 300 se laptop as a gaming laptop and also to keep photos. But recently built a PC as a daily driver and was hoping to use a external hdd used on my laptop to transfer everything to me PC. So on the first time turning it on for...
  4. External HDD BitLocker decryption stuck at 25.6%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD BitLocker decryption stuck at 25.6%: Hi, I've seen many posts reporting a similar problem around, but none of the proposed solution really helped. So I'm here to ask for some additinal help.This HDD used to be an internal system disk on a WIn10 laptop, encrypted with Bitlocker. The laptop has been upgraded to an...
  5. External HDD BitLocker decryption stuck at 25.6%

External HDD BitLocker decryption stuck at 25.6%: Hi, I've seen many posts reporting a similar problem around, but none of the proposed solution really helped. So I'm here to ask for some additinal help.This HDD used to be an internal system disk on a WIn10 laptop, encrypted with Bitlocker. The laptop has been upgraded to an...
  6. After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key

After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key: Hello. I have a laptop HP Probook with installed 2 OS on it: Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 20.04. All partition was encrypted by default. Selecting OS managed by GRUB, and there was no problem for today:I turned on my laptop and decided to run Windows, but it asked me for a...
  7. After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key: Hello. I have a laptop HP Probook with installed 2 OS on it: Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 20.04. All partition was encrypted by default. Selecting OS managed by GRUB, and there was no problem for today:I turned on my laptop and decided to run Windows, but it asked me for a...
  8. Slow HDD 24/7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow HDD 24/7: So, as of recently, I wanted to get my HDD better transfer speeds but I noticed my speeds at 100% usage was less than 15 Mb/s in reading and less than 1 in write. I checked my hardware specs and made sure all are the same protocol. My HDD is the ST1000DM010 1TB. According to...
  9. Delete Bad folder on external HDD with Bitlocker ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Bad folder on external HDD with Bitlocker ??: Hello ! I have an external hard drive that use as backup and is locked with Bitlocker and everything is fine for that. But in this disk I have a folder named: "DVD, CD, ISO..." which is a folder of Favorites. Can not delete or rename it, Windows uses the 3 points as extention...
  10. Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck

Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck: Hello! I have a 1TB external HDD crypted with TrueCrypt since a couple of months and it's 99% full of important files. I wanted to decrypt it so I used "permanent decrypt", put my password and the progress bar is at 0.029% and the estimating time got from 8 hours to 160 days...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker stuck at 89 percent