Windows 10: Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking

Discus and support Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello I've run into a little problem with bitlocker password length. Somewhere I read that you can use up to 256 characters for the recovery password... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mase444, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Mase444 Win User

Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking

Hello
    I've run into a little problem with bitlocker password length. Somewhere I read that you can use up to 256 characters for the recovery password so I generated such a password via keepass. The bitlocker UI obviously had no problem with this. After restarting the system and trying to reenter the password i get the message "the password entered is incorrect".
    According to this article BitLocker Passwords Should Be Less Than 100 Characters in Length - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki
    passwords will be truncated to 100 characters. I already tried reducing the password to 100 chars without any success.
    To reproduce this problem I enclose the used password here
    Code: LLZcZ^~q.~Q4Xa.B&9`Drg:c/evpPr$mSQp?bEL&hyNWb|g~dNBeIg@ZyYGjL/;bx/NO1NMh869nlZ*~OeiHD054i9Ut+z9Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking :p1'?f~dk#`;NI|sWpdm4X%'MS7&a5U3lruHS;;EPAPlh,Mfp~WGP'Qz?~BSZ;pv~yGeWdf@*r:lfaIvFB35Cg1vee'A$koM4U~Kx,2luM,Vx'OHP=9Paj.PpBq_5aA3bn%/KTdo@`9H\mY&CU1ISpBfc%sy"gvH"[/quote] Anybody have any ideas on how to unlock the drive with this password?

:)

Mase444, Apr 16, 2016

2. Bitlocker unlock has stuck key presses

I just did a fresh install of Window 10. I do not have a TPM so I setup Require additional authentication at startup.
    I set up my C: drive with my bitlocker password and rebooted.

When it comes to entering my bitlocker password, I get many characters per keystroke. Specifically on any character that requires me to hold the shift key. I've switched keyboards, tried different USB ports, etc.

If I go into my BIOS setting, everything works. Once I get my drive unlocked, everything works fine. The multiple characters only happen when I am unlocking the bitlocker drive during booting.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte
    GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.1)
    and my keyboard is a Logitech K520. I've tried other keyboards as well, with the same results. I did not have this problem with Windows 8.1, or Windows 7.

How do I fix this?

Thank you.

-Julian

Julian J Thomas, Apr 16, 2016
  3. Sophie707 Win User
    How to use Bitlocker to encrypt (and automatically decrypt) a single but partitioned hard-drive (C and D partitions)?

Hey Solar Eclipse,

I was brave enough today to enable Bitlocker on both my C: and D: partitions of my hard-drive.

Everything went well, following your instructions.

I enabled Bitlocker first on the C: partition (where Windows 10 is installed), and then on the D: partition.

While enabling Bitlocker on the C: partition, the partition unlocked (and continues to unlock) automatically - a Bitlocker password was not requested.

Regards the D: partition, it also unlocks automatically - the wizard for enabling Bitlocker on the D: partition had automatic unlocking as an option, which I chose.

So other than not having to input a Bitlocker password while enabling Bitlocker on the C: partition, your instructions are exact. So I'm marking your post as an answer.

Many thanks!!

Sophie707, Apr 16, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I'm not sure I fully understand, as the link you provided already contains the answer?

So, even if you used 256 characters for the main password, is there a reason you can't use the 48 character Bitlocker recovery key (which is different to the main password) to recover the drive?

You can find a tutorial regarding using the Bitlocker recover key to unlock a drive at the following link:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

ARC1020, Apr 17, 2016
  5. Mase444 Win User
    > is there a reason you can't use the 48 character Bitlocker recovery key (which is different to the main password) to recover the drive?
    Yes, because I simply didn't store it. That wasn't smart, I'm aware. And let that be a lesson for everyone...

I did however figure it out and perhaps this might help someone else:
    I tried using power shell before but apparently I made an mistake with my earlier attempt.
    >get-help Unlock-BitLocker -examples
    lead me to trying this:
    > $SecureString = ConvertTo-SecureString "fjuksAS1337" -AsPlainText -Force
    > Unlock-BitLocker -MountPoint "E:" -Password $SecureString
    the problem with my password was those special characters (for example " or ´ or $) which need to be escaped.
    Apparently I made an mistake in my first attempt and now I retried it again with this command line:
    > $SecureString = ConvertTo-SecureString "LLZcZ^~q.~Q4Xa.B&9``Drg:c/evpPr`$mSQp?bEL&hyNWb|g~dNBeIg@ZyYGjL/;bx/NO1NMh869nlZ*~OeiHD054i9Ut+z9Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking :p1'?f~dk#``;NI|sWpdm4X%'MS7&a5U3lruHS;;EPAPlh,Mfp~WGP'Qz?~BSZ;pv~yGeWd f@*r:lfaIvFB35Cg1vee'A`$koM4U~Kx,2luM,Vx'OHP=9Paj.PpBq_5aA3bn%/KTdo@``9H\mY&CU1ISpBfc%sy`"gvH`"" -AsPlainText -Force

so basically this password:
    > LLZcZ^~q.~Q4Xa.B&9`Drg:c/evpPr$mSQp?bEL&hyNWb|g~dNBeIg@ZyYGjL/;bx/NO1NMh869nlZ*~OeiHD054i9Ut+z9Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking :p1'?f~dk#`;NI|sWpdm4X%'MS7&a5U3lruHS;;EPAPlh,Mfp~WGP'Qz?~BSZ;pv~yGeWdf @*r:lfaIvFB35Cg1vee'A$koM4U~Kx,2luM,Vx'OHP=9Paj.PpBq_5aA3bn%/KTdo@`9H\mY&CU1ISpBfc%sy"gvH"
    needed to be escaped to this:
    > LLZcZ^~q.~Q4Xa.B&9``Drg:c/evpPr`$mSQp?bEL&hyNWb|g~dNBeIg@ZyYGjL/;bx/NO1NMh869nlZ*~OeiHD054i9Ut+z9Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking :p1'?f~dk#``;NI|sWpdm4X%'MS7&a5U3lruHS;;EPAPlh,Mfp~WGP'Qz?~BSZ;pv~yGeWd f@*r:lfaIvFB35Cg1vee'A`$koM4U~Kx,2luM,Vx'OHP=9Paj.PpBq_5aA3bn%/KTdo@``9H\mY&CU1ISpBfc%sy`"gvH`"

I still believe this is an ui bug within bitlocker.
    The dialog to set the new password accepted it without any error.
    Entering the same password in the unlock dialog does however not work.

Thanks for your help and best regards
    Mathias

Mase444, Apr 17, 2016
  6. > is there a reason you can't use the 48 character Bitlocker recovery key (which is different to the main password) to recover the drive?
    Yes, because I simply didn't store it. That wasn't smart, I'm aware. And let that be a lesson for everyone...

It's one of the questions it asks you when setting it up!! How you overlooked it and didn't store it is beyond belief!!

garydexter, Apr 17, 2016
  7. altae Win User
    Well the op made several errors. Not storing the recovery key is one but it started earlier. Who the .... uses a 256 digits password? I would not expect any program out there accepting such a password. Security is a good thing and long and random passwords are a necessity but 256 digits? Come on, a little bit exaggerated isn't it? Even 20 or so digits are uncrackable in reasonable time with today's processing power.

altae, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking - Similar Threads - Bitlocker password 256

2. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  3. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  4. Unlock Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlock Bitlocker: I am trying to clone my computer to IDrive so I can wipe my computer and reinstall Windows 11. Hopefully that will clear up some issues I am having with my computer. It can't backup because files are bitlocked.I didn't know I had bitlocker but apparently I do. I went through...
  5. Correct Bitlocker password but failed to unlock drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Correct Bitlocker password but failed to unlock drive: please help me! very frustrating. I used Bitlocker on my OS drive and two days ago, I was prompted to input password to unlock it when restarting Windows. However, after inputting the correct password I am 100% sure it is correct as retrieved from my Microsoft account, with...
  6. Correct Bitlocker password but failed to unlock drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correct Bitlocker password but failed to unlock drive: please help me! very frustrating. I used Bitlocker on my OS drive and two days ago, I was prompted to input password to unlock it when restarting Windows. However, after inputting the correct password I am 100% sure it is correct as retrieved from my Microsoft account, with...
  7. Windows 10 Max path of 256 characters.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Max path of 256 characters.: I have tried again today to lift this restriction on Windows, but to no avail. None of the two methods posted here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation seems to be working. neither the method through the gpedit tool. Is...
  8. Bitlock unlock?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bitlock unlock?: I'm just wondering what this is for on Bitlocker (unlock)? How do you use it? [img] 155432
  9. Is 256-bit BitLocker encryption really 256-bit?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is 256-bit BitLocker encryption really 256-bit?: It might sound like a silly question, but clearly I'm not getting something. I've enabled 256-bit encryption in group policy settings and encrypted a drive.manage-bde -status says Encryption Method: XTS-AES 256. But the recovery key is still 48 digits long. Since every sixth...
  10. Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field: Hello, I have been using BitLocker for a long time now and in conjunction with Windows 10 for 3 months and today something weird happened. When I tried to insert my password at boot, when I pressed the Shift key in combination with any other key, it inserted tens of...
Tags: