Windows 10: Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

Discus and support Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process. To see... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kevvyb, Jan 27, 2017.

1. kevvyb Win User

Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process.

To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in order to see the .bek key.* I have seen posts stating that these are 'hidden files'. Maybe they are both? I am assuming that if the restart to check that usb key works succeeds, then presumably the machine is 'booting' from the usb key (.bek file)...?

• Turned bitlocker on the C drive
    • usb drive was preselected to save STARTUP KEY
    • clicked on save
    • ONE bek key created on USB drive
    • Question re save location for recovery key > selected save to usb flash drive
    • USB drive preselected > clicked on save
    • Another bek key and recovery key saved with same timestamp
    • clicked on next > encrypt entire drive > run check > restart
    So TWO .bek (startup) keys......Does anyone know why two?

One for each partition although I did not yet have BitLocker turned on my data partition.
    Or maybe one for the Windows recovery partition?* Although I thought I had read that this remained unencrypted...?

:)

kevvyb, Jan 27, 2017
  2. GOuk42 Win User

Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 doesn't create a .txt when activating BitLocker

Using the powershell command line doesn't work, when BitLocker gets enabled it creates a
    .bek, but I want the .txt Recovery Key. When I try to use the powershell command to create the
    .txt file it errors saying that it does not understand the -protector value.

Also enabling BitLocker from the GUI, it greys out options to save a recovery key on the domain/file server, even though it is in a domain and has access to the file server.

Also searching for the .bek file in Windows Explorer, it doesn't appear even when hidden item(s) is disabled.

Do anyone think its because BitLocker is out of date or update? I don't really use BitLocker Encryption enough to know what is happening or why sometimes it will export a recovery key to a .txt or create a .bek file.

GOuk42, Jan 27, 2017
  3. my lumia 550 asking bilocker recovery key

I have no bitlocker recovery key in my one drive please help me how to get bitlocker recovery key and my smartphone is microsoft lumia 550 please someone help me

MuttuDevaramani, Jan 27, 2017
  4. kevvyb Win User

Just worked out what it is. There is a bek key for StartUp and a bek key for Recovery. A bit confusing as there is also a 'BitLocker Recovery Key' (different format to bek Recovery key)....???

Can anyone shed any further light?

UPDATE:
    Must be that the system partition requires both startup and recovery .bek keys.

The data partition appears to only have one .bek key, presumably a recovery key.

The encryption of both system and data partitions has created just one BitLocker Recovery Key in a text file for each partition.

kevvyb, Jan 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Process bek

2. Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key: We have turned our laptop on today and it is asking for the Bitlocker recovery key, we do not have this recovery key and we have checked our Microsoft account, after checking on the internet it seems there is no way to get past this screen without the relevant key, as this is...
  3. BitLocker recovery key

BitLocker recovery key: I was trying to switch back to windows 10 from 11 and now it is prompting me for a bitlocker recovery key, does anyone know how to get this? When I go to my microsoft account and search devices it tells me I am at the wrong URL?...
  4. Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?: Hi guys,I want to encrypt my computer with bitlocker, using the USB startup key.But when my computer gets stolen, the disk can be put inside another computer. Can the plain text visible startup key on the USB then unlock the drive? Or are these keys different?Thanks!Tonka....
  5. Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?

Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?: Hi guys,I want to encrypt my computer with bitlocker, using the USB startup key.But when my computer gets stolen, the disk can be put inside another computer. Can the plain text visible startup key on the USB then unlock the drive? Or are these keys different?Thanks!Tonka....
  6. Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup: I am always asked for my bitlocker recovery key when my Win 10 PC boots. I do knpw my recovery code and when I enter it, the boot continues normally. I would like to eliminate the need to enter my recovery code every time, so please tell me how to eliminate it....
  7. Bitlocker recovery key

Bitlocker recovery key: Kindly help me in getting my bitlocker recovery key as i forgot the password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-key/a2c562b4-ba74-4d9b-8caa-bd6043d07cd7
  8. Bitlocker key or recovery key

Bitlocker key or recovery key: Help, i turned off my Dell computer a few hours later after a update i tried to reboot my compter but its asking for a bitlocker key or recovery key. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Dell support than microsoft support to no avail. They are both blaming the other while im...
  9. BitLocker Recovery Key - Not having one

BitLocker Recovery Key - Not having one: I'm doing this on behalf of my step Grand Daughter. She has a Lenovo Ideapad with Surface 6 from 2016. She did a recent Windows Up-date and since then the 'BitLocker Recovery' has been on the screen from startup. Gone all through the process of trying to get the 48...
  10. BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup: Hello Support, My Dell Inspiron 15 does not have a TPM and still I am being asked for a recovery key every time I start my laptop all of a sudden. I have to retype the recovery key every time I start the lappy. Can anyone help. Thanks, Kala...
Tags: