Windows 10: BitLocker Security concerns

Discus and support BitLocker Security concerns in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just stumbled into an issue and would like to ask if this is normal or not. My UEFI boot order is the Windows Boot Manager and then the Internal... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Aug 2, 2018.

1. BitLocker Security concerns

I just stumbled into an issue and would like to ask if this is normal or not.
    My UEFI boot order is the Windows Boot Manager and then the Internal HDD, nothing else. Except when I insert the USB flash drive, that shows up in the Boot Sequence menu options among the last boot order, but apart from that, no other boot devices.

BitLocker is set to a TPM and PIN protector.

However, and this part is very strange, that when inserting my Windows 10 USB bootable flash drive and then rebooted my laptop, it did not even prompt me to enter the BitLocker PIN.

Without the USB stick, it does.

I even tested this by removing the BitLocker text file (Recovery Key) from the root of the USB drive and then inserted in again, rebooted, and no PIN entry prompt.

The USB stick is only a Windows 10 bootable media created with the Media Creation Tool, that's all. Except for some few folders which contains some personal documents.

I was not going to install Windows, but I had a few files to edit, but when the laptop rebooted, I noticed that the USB flash drive was still in the laptop and did not ask for the BitLocker PIN.

Now, I would like to ask, is why?

Thanks

:)

win10freak, Aug 2, 2018
  2. Ernie San Win User

Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Aug 2, 2018
  3. Bitlocker Key

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. It is good that you know the Bitlocker key to properly get into the computer. To help you turn off the Bitlocker key, you can follow the steps below:

Please make sure you are signed as the Administrator of the computer.

To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.

• A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption. Click
      Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

To turn off BitLocker Drive Encryption

System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker.

• A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take some time. Click
      Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know if this resolves your concern.

Lemuel Cie, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Paola Gar Win User

BitLocker Security concerns

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

BitLocker Security concerns

1. BitLocker Security concerns - Similar Threads - BitLocker Security concerns

2. BitLocker Recovery ID Concern

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Recovery ID Concern: Hello Microsoft Community,Good day!May I ask, since Microsoft can't provide the missing BitLocker Recovery Key, and the laptop I'm going to use is company issued and the previous owner doesn't know the recovery key. I'm planning to reinstall a fresh Windows 11 OS in the...
  3. BitLocker Recovery ID Concern

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker Recovery ID Concern: Hello Microsoft Community,Good day!May I ask, since Microsoft can't provide the missing BitLocker Recovery Key, and the laptop I'm going to use is company issued and the previous owner doesn't know the recovery key. I'm planning to reinstall a fresh Windows 11 OS in the...
  4. Security Concern

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Concern: Hello, I've discovered some serious security leaks on my devices and I need to make sure of a few things.I suspect my HDD got cloned and used on another machine, let's assume that my windows account and settings and edge data passwords of other accounts got leaked. Maybe my...
  5. Security Concern

Security Concern: Hello, I've discovered some serious security leaks on my devices and I need to make sure of a few things.I suspect my HDD got cloned and used on another machine, let's assume that my windows account and settings and edge data passwords of other accounts got leaked. Maybe my...
  6. Security Concern

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Bitlocker concern

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker concern: I have all my files in the computer and somehow it stopped working on its own. I wanted to have this fixed and reach to the point that I was able to go on recovery mode. I realized that it doesn't even load at all so I restarted it. When it open up again it is now asking for...
  8. Bitlocker concern

Bitlocker concern: I have all my files in the computer and somehow it stopped working on its own. I wanted to have this fixed and reach to the point that I was able to go on recovery mode. I realized that it doesn't even load at all so I restarted it. When it open up again it is now asking for...
  9. Bitlocker concern

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Security Concerns

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Concerns: A while ago when I uploaded a file to virustotal it was clean but when I uploaded the same file a month later it says 1 antivirus says its malicious Does that make it safe then?...