Windows 10: BitLocker Setup- How Do I Disable the TPM and Use a Password Instead?

Discus and support BitLocker Setup- How Do I Disable the TPM and Use a Password Instead? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I would like to enable BitLocker on my laptop, which has a TPM. However, I want to use a password instead of the TPM to decrypt the drive during... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by burg716, Jul 20, 2016.

1. burg716 Win User

BitLocker Setup- How Do I Disable the TPM and Use a Password Instead?

I would like to enable BitLocker on my laptop, which has a TPM. However, I want to use a password instead of the TPM to decrypt the drive during pre-boot.

I've tried disabling the TPM (using 'tpm.msc') and then enabling "Require additional authentication at startup" within the Group Policy Editor, but those steps didn't work.

How can I disable the TPM and use a password instead? Alternatively, how can I keep the TPM enabled but also require a password (not a PIN) during pre-boot?

Thanks!

:)

burg716, Jul 20, 2016

2. Bitlocker on my newer model laptop with TPM chip

I am sorry but the link that you provided was of no use. My bitlocker is apparently working as it should on this Samsung S9 laptop which has a TPM chip, but no TPM module. I took it to a computer shop to discover that the module is missing. We also turned
    off bitlocker and the laptop decrypted in about 20 minutes. That is fast considering that there is 80GB+ data on its SSD hard drive.

I am no happy that my laptop boots up directly to the Windows password screen. I need it to boot up the the bitlocker password screen first.

Do I possibly need to change the settings on my TPM chip equipped (but not TPM module equipped) laptop as I did on my desktop PCs that do not have TPM chips? On those I changed the settings to authenticate without TPM.

Please help me figure out how to make my laptop boot to the bitlocker password screen before proceeding to the Windows password screen.

RichardKing LUTCF CLU ChFC, Jul 20, 2016
  3. CraigLong Win User
    remove bitlocker encryption

Hi Leon,

I use a password to unlock the drive. You shouldn't have to use the recovery key to get in each time.

That's what the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) device does is to store the encryption key for you so you don't have to enter anything. Do you have a TPM on your motherboard?

I don't have any TPM on my computers so I just followed this article to enable Bitlocker in the Local Group Policy Editor and then I selected to use the password option:

How to Use BitLocker Without a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

How to Set Up BitLocker Encryption on Windows

CraigLong, Jul 20, 2016
  4. BZee Win User

I can't tell you how anymore but I can tell you it can be done. A couple of years or so ago I was using bitlocker with a password on a MS Surface 1 which had TPM. I don't remember if I disabled the TRM but I do know I had to enter a bitlocker password to boot up (I am not thinking of the Windows password which was different). All I can say is read through the Group Policy Editor.

5. burg716 Win User
    Thanks. I've reviewed the Group Policy Editor and none of the options seem to be what I'm looking for. I don't mind leaving the TPM enabled, as long as I can also apply a password. The only option I see is to use the TPM with a numeric PIN. However, I want an alpha-numeric password, not a PIN.

Any other advice?

burg716, Jul 22, 2016
  6. BZee Win User
    My password was alpha-numeric

7. BZee Win User
    I dug out my Surface 1 and set up Bitlocker. I tried several combination in the Bitlocker area of the Group Policy Editor before iI got it working.
    1) Under "Require additional authentication at startup": A) Enabled, B) uncheck "Allow Bitlocker ...", and C) other 4 boxes all set to "Allow ...".
    2) Under "Enable use of Bitlocker authentication requiring preboot keyboard input on slates": "Enabled".
    3) Under "Allow enchanced PINs for startup": "Enabled"

My desktop has the "orange bars" problem reported in other threads. The Surface 1 has the same problem but a blank blue screen instead of orange bars. I just blind type the password (it is alpha-numeric). If I make a mistake and Windows 10 does not come up, I press backspace a bunch of times then retype the password.

BZee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BitLocker Setup- How Do I Disable the TPM and Use a Password Instead? - Similar Threads - BitLocker Setup Disable

2. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using BitLocker without a TPM: I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the...
  3. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using BitLocker without a TPM: I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the...
  4. Disable password and use PIN instead

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Disable password and use PIN instead: Hello,On this documentation page it's explained why Windows Hello PIN is more secure than regular Microsoft Account password. I understand the security reasons and would like to act on this advice, so I set up Windows Hello. Unfortunately, this only created a second way to...
  5. Disable password and use PIN instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable password and use PIN instead: Hello,On this documentation page it's explained why Windows Hello PIN is more secure than regular Microsoft Account password. I understand the security reasons and would like to act on this advice, so I set up Windows Hello. Unfortunately, this only created a second way to...
  6. Disable password and use PIN instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. WHY use TPM with bitlocker?

WHY use TPM with bitlocker?: i still have to understand WHY to use TPM with bitlocker. these are my concerns, i tried to use bitlocker with my tpm but the encryption was "free" without to enter any password at boot. Ok this kind of encryption is useful ONLY IF a thief steal ONLY the hd .... but what if...
  8. Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?

Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?: I have seen this question asked elsewhere several times, but with different answers...so I just want to make sure my understanding of BitLocker is correct. In the past, I had used BitLocker on several computers that did Not have a TPM...therefore I had to use a strong...
  9. Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor

Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor: Hi, If I enable Bitlocker with TPM (i.e. no passcode required on boot-up), and I have the Local Administrator account enabled on the machine (with my normal user account as a standard account), would it be possible for someone with a Hirens Boot CD blank/reset the Local...
  10. How do you remove the timeout for bitlocker password at boot? No TPM.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do you remove the timeout for bitlocker password at boot? No TPM.: My laptop was running win 10 when I upgraded it to an edu license so I could bitlocker encode its hard drive. It has no TPM hardware so I had to type a password at boot time to boot. I forgot how I was able to disable the random timeout on that password entry. It is very...
Tags: