Windows 10: Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these

Discus and support Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Tech help requested Bitlocker, TPM, AMI Bios and TPM, SAmsung TabPro S (windows) computer tablet Tech requests to AMI bios and to samsung, for... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by astormyday, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these

Tech help requested
    Bitlocker, TPM, AMI Bios and TPM, SAmsung TabPro S (windows) computer tablet

Tech requests to AMI bios and to samsung, for clarification of these items, has been USELESS.

I have the tablet, with Bitlocker enabled. I do NOT have a PIN enabled for bitlocker, because the ON-SCREEN keyboard does NOT activate, for bitlocker PIN entry. (Bitlocker key is apparently controlled by TPM).

I have BIOS ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD enabled, which gets requested at MACHINE STARTUP, and DOES use the on-screen keyboard.
    From what I ahve read, this ALSO is stored with TPM.

QUESTION
    DOES TPM control the BIOS ADMISTRATOR PASSWORD, such that ERASING the TPM would erase the REQUIREMENT for this password, but also erase the stored BITLOCKER key such that anyone who got the hard drive, etc, would then have to enter the 40+ character recovery key to access that bitlocked partition?

QUESTION
    TPM (ver. 1.2) - does repeated incorrect entry of the BIOS ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD cause the TPM to go into lockout mode, such as it does if the BITLOCKER PIN (when enabled) is entered incorrectly?

I am trying to clarify how TPM (ver. 1.2) works, how it protects the machine, and how it handles bitlocker.

I would LOVE to have an additional PIN for this tablet, for bitlocker, but samsung will not answer whether the on-screen keyboard can be enabled to enter this.

any help, or escalation of this, is appreciated.
    thakns

:)

astormyday, Jul 22, 2017
  2. J.DD Win User

Lenovo Thinkpad bricked by Update

If you're getting a 0xc000000d error or similar, it'll be because youre using TPM 1.2 and bitlocker

Win10 AU kills TPM 1.2 so I found out. Used to have a TPM 1.2 module in this.

And I thought something was dead, until I read the error I was getting could happen if you're using a TPM and/or bitlocker. You dont have to enable bitlocker to get it. If the TPM option is enabled in the BIOS you'll get this error

To test this, I disabled the TPM in the BIOS. Voila. It booted into windows

Then I decided to remove the TPM module, ordered a TPM 2 module. And it's been fine ever since

So since you're using bitlocker, I wouldn't be surprised if this is whats causing your prob

3. " TPM is not detected on your laptop" in Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

If the TPM is not detected by Windows, verify that your computer hardware contains a compatible TPM and BIOS. Ensure that no BIOS settings have been used to hide the TPM from the operating system.

If you are attempting to initialize the TPM as part of the BitLocker setup, check which TPM driver is installed on the computer. We recommend always using one of the TPM drivers provided by Microsoft with BitLocker. If a non-Microsoft TPM driver
    is installed, it may prevent the default TPM driver from loading and cause BitLocker to report that a TPM is not present on the computer. If you have a non-Microsoft driver installed, remove it and then try to initialize the TPM again. The following table
    lists the three standard TPM drivers that are provided by Microsoft.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS
    settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jul 22, 2017
Thema:

Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these

1. Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these - Similar Threads - Bitlocker TPM BIOS

2. BitLocker could not be enabled - TPM or BIOS problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker could not be enabled - TPM or BIOS problem?: Hello everyone,I recently tried to activate BitLocker using the TPM on my computer, without success.Here is the error I get at startup: When I open the PowerShell console to enter the following command :"Enable-BitLocker -MountPoint $env:SystemDrive -EncryptionMethod...
  3. BitLocker could not be enabled - TPM or BIOS problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker could not be enabled - TPM or BIOS problem?: Hello everyone,I recently tried to activate BitLocker using the TPM on my computer, without success.Here is the error I get at startup: When I open the PowerShell console to enter the following command :"Enable-BitLocker -MountPoint $env:SystemDrive -EncryptionMethod...
  4. BitLocker could not be enabled - TPM or BIOS problem?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Bitlocker with TPM, password, usbkey or yubikey

Bitlocker with TPM, password, usbkey or yubikey: Hi, Which would be more secure? BitLocker with TPM, password, and usb-key or yubikey? I believe I know how to configure the 3-factor combo in Windows 10 pro, but not the yubikey. Thank-You! 182280
  6. Bitlocker with TPM

Bitlocker with TPM: Hi , I,m not sure if this is the right place to post this . Anyway , My query is about encryption on win10 pro . Previously I had a laptop with no TPM so I had to us the group policy editor to allow encryption to work , fine ,all was working and I had to type a password...
  7. Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?

Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?: I have seen this question asked elsewhere several times, but with different answers...so I just want to make sure my understanding of BitLocker is correct. In the past, I had used BitLocker on several computers that did Not have a TPM...therefore I had to use a strong...
  8. BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM)

BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM): I've recently installed bitlocker on my computer. Although windows says my C: drive is encrypted; I am not asked for my decryption password when i boot the computer. I get put straight into the login screen. I've done the necessary steps to enable bitlocker without TPM but...
  9. Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor

Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor: Hi, If I enable Bitlocker with TPM (i.e. no passcode required on boot-up), and I have the Local Administrator account enabled on the machine (with my normal user account as a standard account), would it be possible for someone with a Hirens Boot CD blank/reset the Local...
  10. Bitlocker without TPM help

Bitlocker without TPM help: Hi all, I've been having a bit of trouble trying to get Bitlocker working on my Dad's laptop. He recently bought a new laptop with Win 7 pro and I upgraded it to Win 10. It all went smoothly except now when I'm trying to get Bitlocker to encrypt his drive. It has an ssd...
Tags: