Windows 10: Bitlocker very slow. Taking days as appose to hours

Discus and support Bitlocker very slow. Taking days as appose to hours in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So have a new 4TB drive and i thought it would be prudent to encrypt it using bitlocker, as i have done in the past with all my external drives. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by thedoc46, Dec 5, 2016.

1. thedoc46 Win User

Bitlocker very slow. Taking days as appose to hours

So have a new 4TB drive and i thought it would be prudent to encrypt it using bitlocker, as i have done in the past with all my external drives.

I started bitlocker within the O/S and well after two hrs it had completed something like 0.2% so did a little searching around, and someone had mentioned its quicker to do this in recovery mode using the command manage-bde -resume driveletter: Don't forget to pause the encryption before restarting into recovery mode, and also see my tip below about making a note of the recovery key As you're going to need it.

Tip: Once in recovery mode, an easy way to find what drive letter is the actual ext drive you're trying to encrypt is type manage-bde -status and it'll list all your drives, and it'll tell you which one has the bitlocker encryption that should of already been started in the O/S.

Left it overnight, for 8hrs to be precise, and its done like 7% (again you can check the percentage of completion by using the command manage-bde -status

So at this rate, its going to take ages to complete this. I've never done a 4TB before, but i have done a 2TB before, and well it most definitely didn't take this long. Perhaps overnight or maybe 24hrs. This was using Windows 7, as appose to Win10.

I chose to encrypt the entire drive and did not take the newer encryption offered by Win10.

Also for whatever reason, my screen goes into stand-by while being left in recovery mode for sometime, and no-matter what i can't bring it out of it... so what i end up doing is typing blindly, manage-bde -pause driveletter: i see the drive light stops blinking, so i know its paused the encryption, then restart the computer. HOWEVER, because the ext drive is bitlocker protected, you'll have to unlock it, when you go back into recovery mode, using the recovery key that was generated when you first launched the bitlocker encryption within the O/S.... so top tip, take a photo or write that recovery key down as you'll need it.

At this rate, it seems like i'd be better off building a Win7 machine just to run bitlocker...

What's the deal with bitlocker taking infinitely longer to encrypt in Win10 as appose to Win7 ?

Who in their right mind over at MS thought ok we'll offer this, but it'll take a week or two to actually make any use of it, for what is nowadays a standard size of any external / internal drive.

:)

thedoc46, Dec 5, 2016

2. help

It all depends on the phone.

You should not update smartphones unless you have broadband or a very fast connection.

If it's an N or E series smartphone it will take many hours, possibly a day if your connection is slow.

If it's not a smartphone then it will take 30mins to an hour.

psychomania---01, Dec 5, 2016
  3. Ankitech Win User
    Slow Battery Charging & Fast Battery Draining on Windows Phone 10

Dear Team,

I bought Lumia 650, 2 days back and it is charging very very slow since beginning. It is taking over 4 hours to charge 100% and battery drains out very very fast in just 6 hours, over continuous 3G network.

It is quite annoying, help me pls.

Thanks

Ankitech, Dec 5, 2016
  4. thedoc46 Win User

So in future, should we be using 'free space only' on new drives ? if an external drive has never been used before ? I'm a little unclear on that and on how it works. Does it slow the drive or take extra time to copy data to it down as you add data to it, had i taken that option? Or would the adding data speed been the same, and using the 'used data only' option is ONLY risky if you've previously had confidential data on the drive prior?

There's very little discussion online or on the web regarding bitlocker & going by this thread, not a lot of people have answers.

Did i take the wrong option? Its been so far 40hrs, and my pc has been in recovery mode doing its thing. I personally don't know how much longer its going to take, as i'll leave it til i get back from work later this evening, then i'll check. (as it involves a restart and putting in that long recovery key to find out) But assuming its only going to be at 50% or so. Which is a bit of a joke ! considering this is supposed to be the 'fast method' If i was someone who only had one computer, it would be pretty restricting.

thedoc46, Dec 6, 2016
  5. thedoc46 Win User
    ok so checked the status of my drive that's been going non-stop for 48hrs, and its only done 28%

i'm not even sure i'm willing to keep my PC on in recovery mode for a full 24/7, just to encrypt this stupid drive !!!! I'm at the what do i do now crossroad tho !

Anyone know if i can use a windows 7 ultimate build to finish this off ?

thedoc46, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Bitlocker very slow. Taking days as appose to hours - Similar Threads - Bitlocker very slow

2. Bitlocker restart taking hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker restart taking hours: I put in the recovery key for bitlocker and said it would need to restart or go to advanced settings. For 2 hours it’s been on the HP loading screen attempting to restart. Has anyone had success with this?...
  3. Bitlocker restart taking hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker restart taking hours: I put in the recovery key for bitlocker and said it would need to restart or go to advanced settings. For 2 hours it’s been on the HP loading screen attempting to restart. Has anyone had success with this?...
  4. Input latency inconsistency from day to day/hour to hour.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Input latency inconsistency from day to day/hour to hour.: Hi,I wanna start off by saying that i'm not sure this is the right sub-group to post this question. If you have any suggestion where to look or ask for answers let me know please.I have been playing a game called Rocket League for 6 years straight basically every week for at...
  5. Very slow (hours) to boot on clean install

Very slow (hours) to boot on clean install: Hello I have been having this problem even before I managed to install Windows 10. Initially I downloaded using Windows Media Creation Tool a copy of Windows 10 onto a USB, and booting from this was taking 15 minutes+ regularly. I'm not quite sure how but after formatting...
  6. My laptop has turned / turning very much slow day by day.

My laptop has turned / turning very much slow day by day.: I'm using Lenovo ideapad Z580 with processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.86 GB usable) GPU - nVIDIA GeForce GT 635M Base speed - 2.50GHZ Sockets - 1 Cores - 2 Logical processors - 4 Virtualization - Disabled Hyper- V...
  7. BitLocker Encryption process VERY Slow on Win10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Encryption process VERY Slow on Win10: I just installed Win10 Pro and I love it. When I enabled BitLocker, I selected to encrypt the Entire drive instead of the Used Space because I just feel I am safer with encrypting the entire drive. And my drive is not new. It had Win7 running before. So I did a clean...
  8. BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

BSOD every few hours or few days - very random: I added a new video card so I could add a new 4K Dell P2715Q monitor with my current Dell 2407 WFP. The card is a PNY nVidia quadro k620. When I added them I still had Windows 7. Started getting random BSOD with various reasons indicated such as "driver IRQL not less or...
  9. ~4700 hours old laptop hard drive is very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ~4700 hours old laptop hard drive is very slow: Hi, so I have this problem. At first, my computer started feeling really slow, the boot times were quite long about 3min. and I tried to reinstall Windows, it helped for a bit but then the problem reappeared again. So I started looking deeper, I scanned my computer with...
  10. Windows 10 computer takes hours and sometimes days to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 computer takes hours and sometimes days to boot: Hi. I have a Windows 10 computer. Just a few months ago, I encountered a problem, and it's really annoying me now. When my computer shuts down, it will take hours if not DAYS to boot. One time it took almost 2 days. The screen just stays blank, and I can't hear the fans or...
Tags: