Windows 10: BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?

Discus and support BitLocker vs VeraCrypt? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello As far as I understand BitLocker allows only to encrypt entire disk. I need to encrypt my personal files (financial documents,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ata, Sep 5, 2016.

1. ATA
    ata Win User

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?

Hello

As far as I understand BitLocker allows only to encrypt entire disk. I need to encrypt my personal files (financial documents, identifications) in fast reliable and flexible way. I was using TrueCrypt in past and it was very convenient - create folder , put there all relevant files and then encrypt the entire folder. I'm not interested to encrypt a whole drive. I think it is slowing down the computer and also IMO is less secure than specific folder encryption because if computer is left open or I need to let someone to check something in my computer than all files are visible. As far as I know TrueCrypt successor is VeraCrypt but since my upgrade to Windows 10 I haven't tried any encryption software.
    My questions are:
    1.What would be downsides of using VeraCrypt instead of BitLocker in long run?
    2.Is VeraCrypt considered to be good reliable alternative to Windows default BitLocker for professional purposes(like encrypting sensitive business documents) ? Is there any tool more standard ,better to consider?
    Thanks in advance

:)

2. P.K.H. Win User

Bitlocker-What are the advantages of TPM?

I'm looking for a new PC and would install full disk encryption with Bitlocker under Windows 10. This would also be setup with a Bitlocker boot password.

In the situation where a boot password is being used what are the Bitlocker advantages of getting TPM on the new PC vs one without?

Thank You

P.K.H., Sep 5, 2016
  3. windows 10 and bitlocker

Is there an article confirming Windows 10 Pro gets Bitlocker? Wondering if upgrading all computers to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro and using Bitlocker is an option vs using something like Sophos Endpoint security. Is there anything app-wise to centrally
    control, show compliance, etc. if workstations are using Bitlocker in a domain environment?

HelpitCrashedAgain, Sep 5, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?

Windows has 2 different kinds of encryption built-in. It has full-disk encryption, with BitLocker. And it also has folder encryption called EFS (encrypted file system). Just right click on a folder, choose properties, advanced, and then encrypt contents.

This is "transparent" encryption, which means that by using your user account, the folder is automatically unlocked. Anyone using a different user account won't be able to see them.

To that effect, you should lock your system when you're not using it, and if you need to let another user use it then create a "guest" account (not the Windows guest account, but your own account for other users). You can even switch to this account without logging out of your account using Fast User Switching, then switch back when they are done.

Mystere, Sep 5, 2016
  5. DavidY Win User
    What I do is create a Virtual Disk, map it to a new drive letter, set it to auto-mount at startup, and apply Bitlocker to that as a new drive. I then need to type in the Bitlocker password to unlock the drive when the computer starts up.

Using this approach, once the drive is unlocked, any user on that PC can access it until the computer is shutdown - this may or may not fit with your needs.

DavidY, Sep 5, 2016
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    What David said. If you used a TrueCrypt Volume to keep your personal files in that you mounted/unmounted on demand, you can do the same with Bitlocker. You create a VHD/VHDX and then use Bitlocker to encrypt that. The TrueCrypt standing page has details on how to to that.

Go here --> TrueCrypt and scroll down to "If you have a file container encrypted by TrueCrypt", which will give details on how to create a VHD. Then after creating a VHD, use the following tutorial to encrypt it with Bitlocker.

Bitlocker tutorial here:
    BitLocker - Turn On or Off for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

To mount it, you double click on the VHD file. Windows 10 has a bug in it though (it has been there for quite a while), which shows two messages when you try to mount the Bitlocker Protected VHD. You can just click OK on the one in the middle and then click the Action Centre notification in the bottom right corner to enter the password.

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt? [​IMG]

To dismount it, go to 'This PC' > Right-Click > Eject

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt? [​IMG]

ARC1020, Sep 5, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    That's a good idea. You do not need to shutdown though to remove it, you can relock or even unmounts the drive at any time.

Mystere, Sep 6, 2016
  8. ATA
    ata Win User

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?

Thanks everyone for your input. What I need is what ARC1020 and Mystere said and that is what I did with TrueCrypt - mount/unmount on demand only.
    I'm going to try it now with BitLocker.

9. Winuser Win User
    Are you going to access your files on a Windows 10 Pro computer only? If I'm not mistaken BitLocker only works with the Pro version of 10. With TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt you can install on a Home or Pro version of Windows 10.

Winuser, Sep 9, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    Well, TrueCrypt is no longer supported by it's authors, who left with a cryptic message that indicated it was no longer secure, and couldn't be fixed. If VeraCrypt is based on TrueCrypt, i'd have to be skeptical that they've fixed whatever mysterious problem the original team refused to discuss.

Mystere, Sep 9, 2016
  11. ATA
    ata Win User
    After more research and thinking I decided not to use either BitLocker or VeraCrypt. I ended up putting my private documents in folder and just zipped them with password. For fast access and in case I forgot the password I made a cloud for that purpose(not the default OneDrive).

My conclusions are - Bitlocker is good for organizations to keep they computers secure but not versatile and compact enough for private use and even small businesses. As the poster above said it is limited to Windows Pro version but I might one day need to access my files with Windows 10 Home or even different operating system.

After some research VeraCrypt went off my list of options. It gets good reviews in magazines(based on what?), but looks like not many people use it , also Mystere mentioned another reason currently to stay away from it. I hope it will succeeded , but for now I won't take any chances.

12. lx07 Win User
    That shouldn't really be a concern. You can access bitlocker encrypted drives from Linux or WindowsPE (Marcium gives you this option for example when you make recovery disk) and Windows home will unlock external drives encrypted by Bitlocker to Go.

windows - How to access a BitLocker-encrypted drive in Linux? - Super User
    Bitlocker in WinPE
    Adding BitLocker support to Windows PE - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    Solved Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home - Windows 10 Forums

13. ATA
    ata Win User

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?

Good to know. I might change my protection method in future.
    Currently I have about 20-30 private documents to protect so my very simple method will do the job.
    But I hope my business will expand and soon zipping files might not be solution.

Never heard about this Macrium. I will read on it.

14. Winuser Win User
    There was no mysterious problem with TrueCrypt. The message is more or less just a warning so user wouldn't be at risk of using a program that is no longer updated. There is a Tin Foil Hat rumor that they were forced to shutdown TrueCrypt because Snowden had used it on his computer and it couldn't be cracked. I have switched to VeraCrypt to keep copies of such things as our S.S. numbers, D.L. numbers and other personal info so I can have access to this info if needed but other people can't.

Winuser, Sep 13, 2016
  15. Winuser Win User
    Accessing Bitlocker in another OS is one thing. I don't use it so I don't know if you can or not. What if for example someone is using Windows 10 Home and they need to encrypt something. How is Bitlocker going to Help? I'm not for or against any of these encryption programs. I'm just giving a what if example. *Smile

Winuser, Sep 13, 2016
Thema:

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?

1. BitLocker vs VeraCrypt? - Similar Threads - BitLocker VeraCrypt

2. Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...: i just changed my CPU and my bitlocker recovery key is not working. Impossible to get someone from MS support... what could be next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-my-cpu-and-the-bitlocker-recovery-key-is/a8bec5af-7f77-453b-852f-dceac34ecc30
  3. Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...: i just changed my CPU and my bitlocker recovery key is not working. Impossible to get someone from MS support... what could be next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-my-cpu-and-the-bitlocker-recovery-key-is/a8bec5af-7f77-453b-852f-dceac34ecc30
  4. What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?: Not a lot. I have never consented to have Bitlocker on my device and yet I have this mystery code that I am unable to access in order for me to access my own data. And yes I have tried all the useless suggestions from Microsoft. I have just had to pay £150 to have my computer...
  5. What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?: Not a lot. I have never consented to have Bitlocker on my device and yet I have this mystery code that I am unable to access in order for me to access my own data. And yes I have tried all the useless suggestions from Microsoft. I have just had to pay £150 to have my computer...
  6. What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?: I have a new drive, it's for storage only, can I simply use quick format with Veracrypt? Bitlocker has the option to encrypt as you put data on the drive, instead of encrypting the whole drive first, is that not similar to quick format? Encrypt the entire drive, or to not...
  8. Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  9. how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  10. Veracrypt installed, now start-up requires Bitlocker recovery key each and every time

Veracrypt installed, now start-up requires Bitlocker recovery key each and every time: Hi, I installed Veracrypt as disk encryption on my Dell XPS15 with Windows 10 Home. Now, every time I start it up, I need to enter not only the encryption key but then I get a blue screen titled "BitLocker recovery" that prompts me to "Enter the recovery key for this drive"....
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 bitlocker vs VeraCrypt